Page 46 of 64 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 634

Thread: JimVR4 95 Spyder Engine Rebuild

  1. #451
    Forum User verified

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1

    Posts
    1,292
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimvr4 View Post
    Started looking at clutch adjustment. I can push the slave pin in just enough to clear the fork, not sure it it should go further. Have to set the lock nut in the car and play with it.
    You can just push the shift fork to see how much it will move in. If the bleeder valve gets shut, you won't be able to push it at all. This does in fact work on our cars. I went through it in the other thread and tuned my system for max throw possible without disabling that valve. You can have someone push the clutch in to see how much "pedal free play" you have. Really this is just a way for a person to ensure that the valve is not shut. It does not confirm that you have the max throw possible, aka, maximum amount of fluid being pushed to the slave cylinder.

    In my system, I could back out the adjustment rod all the way and still push in the slave which led me to believe I could adjust the vacuum rod further, which was true.

    You can do a few things to gain more throw

    Fix leaking master/slave/lines
    Install stainless hose
    replace bent/worn fork
    replace worn fork pivot ball
    shim the pivot ball
    Adjust pedal rod up until the check valve closes. You also want some clevis pedal free play to ensure by adjusting the rod it's not pushing on the master.
    Adjust the vacuum->master rod. Adjust too much and you can close the valve permanently

    I plan to make a thread will all the gory detail with pics, videos, and diagrams but haven't had a chance to. I also want to get some detail together to see how much distance the slave should even move and also the angle of the shift fork for those to figure out if theirs is bent etc.
    Last edited by Toni; 07-17-2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: (Removed slave shimming)

  2. #452
    JNS Engineering verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1994

    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,112
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 155 Times in 110 Posts
    Well, a minor setback was had. While testing the clutch engagement I had the car up on four jackstands and when I put it into gear I found the driver side front wheel was not turning. Torque is going to the passenger side wheel instead. I can spin the driver wheel and get it going but the bearing obviously has resistance and needs to be replaced.

    Do you guys think these would be acceptable replacements? 3000gt Lancer EVO w AWD Front Wheel Hub Bearing Pair Assembly Set | eBay

    Also replacements will need bolts where the originals had studs and nuts. Does anyone know the bolt pitch and length? I assume it's M12. I guess I could go measure what length would work without hitting the wheel stud disc. Would 8.8 be strong enough for this?

  3. #453
    Forum User verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    August 2010

    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,494
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 57 Times in 46 Posts
    I don't think you need to replace the bearing. The driver axle naturally has more resistance because of the intermediate shaft..if its seized and has a LOT of resistance then yea, otherwise its OK.

  4. #454
    JNS Engineering verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1994

    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,112
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 155 Times in 110 Posts
    Nah, I've done this before. The ABS is tripping a code too because the wheel speed sensor is not registering. Definitely a bad bearing. I took the hub out and it barely turns.

    Maybe I'll pony up the extra and go through Cherry Hill. They want about $90 for each. I measured the hub / knuckle thickness and it looks like an M12 50mm long is needed. I *think* the pitch is 1.0. It's the same thread as the caliper bolt and the hub stud/nut. It's definitely finer pitch than the 1.25 wheel studs.
    Last edited by Jimvr4; 07-18-2013 at 09:38 AM.

  5. #455
    JNS Engineering verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1994

    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,112
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 155 Times in 110 Posts
    I went ahead and ordered up from Cherry Hill. $90 each and that includes the four bolts for the knuckle side. Mike's also doing same day shipping.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimvr4 For This Useful Post:


  7. #456
    Forum User verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    November 1999

    Location
    Rowlett
    Posts
    1,275
    Thanks
    455
    Thanked 93 Times in 64 Posts
    She is getting really close Jim!

    I swear, your pictures are like car porn!

    -John

  8. #457
    JNS Engineering verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1994

    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,112
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 155 Times in 110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Groove View Post
    She is getting really close Jim!

    I swear, your pictures are like car porn!

    -John
    Thanks John. I am sitting in front of my laptop right now trying to sort out the flashing process. I MUST get this car smogged today to meet the registration deadline.

  9. #458
    JNS Engineering verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1994

    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,112
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 155 Times in 110 Posts
    Well, can't catch a break right now after staying home yesterday to work on the car. Smog didn't happen since the car doesn't run right with an idler pulley that is seizing up. I ordered a new one from Ninja on Tuesday and should have been here by now but USPS decided to send it to Anchorage

    I did manage to flash the ECU but it bothered me that I couldn't interpret the ROM that shipped on the unit, all I could do was save it. I flashed the 560 injector size and latencies. Another thing that bothers me is the Chome ECU FAQ section refers to a page for the injector latencies that doesn't even HAVE a listing for the 560s. I found them by googling and landed on the Evolution forums so I figure that should be a trusted source and it was confirmed here in another thread. I did a flash and then a compare and all was fine but it took long enough to make you worry. I had a battery charger hooked up at 13V the whole time.

    I tried adjusting the clutch rod in toward the cabin, never found the point where the clutch fork wouldn't move and when started never could get the car out of neutral.

    The only good thing to happen was I ordered new hub/bearing assemblies and Mike from Cherry Hill got them in my hands today! Great service from him!
    Last edited by Jimvr4; 07-20-2013 at 10:49 AM.

    Mod list (scroll down the page)
    JNS Engineering has your Spyders covered (and uncovered too!!)

  10. #459
    Member verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Owner Since
    2010

    Location
    Decatur, TN
    Posts
    1,671
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 71 Times in 60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimvr4 View Post
    I did manage to flash the ECU but it bothered me that I couldn't interpret the ROM that shipped on the unit, all I could do was save it. I flashed the 560 injector size and latencies. Another thing that bothers me is the Chome ECU FAQ section refers to a page for the injector latencies that doesn't even HAVE a listing for the 560s. I found them by googling and landed on the Evolution forums so I figure that should be a trusted source and it was confirmed here in another thread. I did a flash and then a compare and all was fine but it took long enough to make you worry. I had a battery charger hooked up at 13V the whole time.
    I've found a few different sets of numbers of latencies. They're fairly close though so it shouldn't be a huge difference, you could always try them and see if it gets better or worse.
    Mods: 2g 3k body conversion, 2g Brake upgrade, Rota P45R rims
    Projects: Interior sound deadening, 14Bs, forged bottom end, custom radiator and sound mounts

  11. #460
    JNS Engineering verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1994

    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,112
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 155 Times in 110 Posts
    After 8 months, at least 5 lbs of dirt and rock, and a complete engine and subframe rebuild, the Spyder finally saw the light of day and got a BATH lol. She really needed it too! I even jacked up the front end and sprayed the dirt off the undercarriage. She's back in the garage tonight waiting for new pulleys to get rid of the nasty metal / metal squeal that's coming from them now. I put in new wheel hubs/bearings but the driver side caliper is sticking, possibly because of a warped rotor. I rebuilt the calipers after powder coating and some of the pistons are a little pitted. The rotors were turned once before all the trouble so there isn't enough material do turn them again. I'm still nervous as hell every time I turn the key to start her up.

    I'm really pissed that USPS routed my idler pulley to Anchorage. I'm probably going to order another directly from Cherry Hill and have it overnighted. When the one from Anchorage finally gets here it's getting returned.




Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive
Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering