Page 31 of 58 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 579

Thread: Project WDE Talon

  1. #301
    |RLII Photography| Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2004

    Location
    Rocket City, AL
    Posts
    221
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    I've got a valve spring compressor that I used to do the VSS on the ole Maxima. Not sure if it's exactly what you need but it's a nice valve spring compressor and it was fantastic for the L24. Rather than use compressed air I used the old muscle car trick of stuffing a long string into the cylinder via the spark plug hole with the cylinder at TDC to hold the valves up.
    1994 Mariana Blue Pearl Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4
    DR-650s and supporting, PST CFDS, Volk GT-Cs, Tein Flex, among other things

    Feb. 06 3SI ROTM - Best AWD BRG 07 - 3rd Place 2G 07 3/S National Gathering - People's Choice BRG 08
    BRG 2011 Total Package - NG11 Car Show 1st Place

    2010 Space Gray E90 335i M-Sport 6MT - 400whp/450wtq
    2002 Jet Black E53 X5 4.4i AWD - Bavarian Workhorse

  2. #302
    GREASE BUNNY
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2005

    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,045
    Thanks
    131
    Thanked 94 Times in 68 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VR4Rob View Post
    I've got a valve spring compressor that I used to do the VSS on the ole Maxima. Not sure if it's exactly what you need but it's a nice valve spring compressor and it was fantastic for the L24. Rather than use compressed air I used the old muscle car trick of stuffing a long string into the cylinder via the spark plug hole with the cylinder at TDC to hold the valves up.
    I haven't seen it done yet but DJ was talking about using the string method just a few weeks ago.
    Sounds like it works well.
    Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post
    Oh Karen, you made me smile today.

  3. #303
    Banned Not Verified Blackmount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Owner Since
    Mid-April 2011.

    Location
    Monroe WI
    Posts
    1,466
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
    Id honestly just pull the head instead of doing stuff the lazy ghetto way. Chamces r ur gonna drop something down in the cylinder anways most people doo

  4. #304
    |RLII Photography| Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2004

    Location
    Rocket City, AL
    Posts
    221
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    This is a terrible pic but the only one I can find. This is the style of valve spring compressor I have:

  5. #305
    Relax, it's just rocket science!
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Nov 2001

    Location
    Ozark, AL
    Posts
    1,211
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked 122 Times in 76 Posts
    That'll do.

    Gotta get my battery charged for the 78587235th time so I can do a compression test just to make sure there aren't other terrible things going on down there. Will also order that timing belt tool set soon.

  6. #306
    Forum User Not Verified

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2004

    Location
    Cape Girardeau
    Posts
    4,791
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 296 Times in 214 Posts
    its silly to pull the head if all you need to do is compress the valve springs. I can build a compressor tool in like 10 minutes using the guide on the other site.

    If you feel you must pull the head get an 8" c clamp and a socket with the side cutout. Works great and will cost you like $15.00

    Parting 6 speed
    Pampena 3.5 Stroker, GTX 2867 Gen IIs, AEM Series2, oohnoo SMIC, DN Hardpipes, FIC 1650s, Walbro 525, aermotive fpr, Dejon intake pipes, Tial Q, Koyo Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptech 332mm fronts, HKS GT4 Coilovers, Spec 4+ LW, JDM 6 Speed, Billet shift forks, Pampena brace

  7. #307
    Forum User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2002

    Posts
    1,668
    Thanks
    514
    Thanked 388 Times in 259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Gump View Post
    its silly to pull the head if all you need to do is compress the valve springs.

    Geeze, seriously. I find myself questioning almost everything blackmount has to say. u r now on my ignoor lizt

    I've done a shit load of valve stem seal jobs with engines in cars... I have a good air compressor today, but I use the string/rope method because twice, years ago, valves dropped into cylinders using compressed air (2 different air compressors; I was able to fish the valves up and out ). If the spring applies even a tiny bit more force than what's being applied by the air and you break the seal, the valve is pretty likely to fall in. If you're going to use compressed air, if you bring the piston up, the valve shouldn't be able to fall in. You just have to remember to bring the piston up... Eljefe's car was the last one I used compressed air on because afterwards the engine didn't want to spin. It took a good deal of torque to break it free, which was terrifying, but then it fired up and ran great. I can only assume that moisture in the cylinder(s) had caused a little corrosion between the rings and the walls. I've used string ever since and have never had an issue at all.

    Oh, and Tyla, awesome spring compressor link. You DSM guys get all the cool shit
    Last edited by AdamVR4; 01-16-2012 at 12:17 PM.
    '93 VR4 | 10.57 @ 135 on C16 | 11.29 @ 125 on 93 | ~3275 lbs

  8. #308
    Banned Not Verified Blackmount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Owner Since
    Mid-April 2011.

    Location
    Monroe WI
    Posts
    1,466
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
    Well the way I see if im going to do valve stem seals, im just going to do the entire head. Send it off the the machine shop to have it cleaned and new guides and seats put in. doing the bare minimum on previous projects always bit me in the ass later. So now its all or nothing.

  9. #309
    Forum User Not Verified

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2004

    Location
    Cape Girardeau
    Posts
    4,791
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 296 Times in 214 Posts
    that theory is just fine, but if you aren't going to overhaul the whole head then leaving the head on makes a lot more sense.

  10. #310
    Relax, it's just rocket science!
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Nov 2001

    Location
    Ozark, AL
    Posts
    1,211
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked 122 Times in 76 Posts
    Not planning on doing a complete overhaul, so leaving the head on should be fine. If I find other surprises in there though it might persuade me in a different direction. Given the circumstances though, I think the previous owner just did something stupid like throwing in used, worn VSS or installing them incorrectly.

    The string method seems like the safest method and the easiest too.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive
Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering