Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: I think my water pump is going bad.

  1. #21
    Member verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    687
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 45 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
    You dont ever want to tun the engine backwards. You are almost guaranteed to make it jump time like that.
    I've done it probably a 1000 times, you just have to be slow. I have never jumped time from turning an engine backwards slowly. I am not saying it can't happen, but I have never had it happen to me.

  2. #22
    Stealth owner since '91
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since

    Location
    Sthrn NH/Eastern Ma
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
    I've got to agree with Stealthee on this. Not only is turning the engine backwards dangerous but its pointless as well. When you turn the crank clockwise it pulls the belt down from the fixed idler pulley and rear exhaust cam allowing the tensioner to maintain it's normal position. When you go counter-clockwise you pull the belt against the tensioner pulley which then pushes in against the tensioner, collapsing it. Even if you did find the belt loose after rotating backwards all that would mean is that you pushed in the tensioner. The only real way to test this is to rotate the engine around a couple of times (CLOCKWISE!), reset to TDC, and measure the protrusion of the tensioner.

  3. #23
    Member verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    687
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 45 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve68 View Post
    Most kids wouldn't have a clue.

    The first sign is the overflow bottle being low.
    The second sign is the first popped hose.
    The third sign is running hotter than normal and increased topping up needed.

    A compression test doesn't work.
    The junk yard here is full of 6Gs with melted cambelts, bent valves and rusty looking cooling systems.

    Steve
    Let me put it like this, I have about 7 years experience working on these cars. I have seen just about everything go wrong on these that can go wrong, including a transfer case lock up on me @90MPH.

    My coolant levels haven't changed a single bit, besides moving from the res to the main system and vise versa. Compression check is higher than a normal engine, this is because of 8.5:1 and about 1300 miles on the engine. No water comes out of the main system with the cap off when cranking, or running the engine until it gets to temp. My temp stays just under halfway, as it has for the almost 5 years I have owned the car. No leaks, no pressure besides what should be there from hot water, no coolant in the exhaust. I highly doubt it is a head gasket issue.

  4. #24
    Member verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    687
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 45 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve '92ES View Post
    I've got to agree with Stealthee on this. Not only is turning the engine backwards dangerous but its pointless as well. When you turn the crank clockwise it pulls the belt down from the fixed idler pulley and rear exhaust cam allowing the tensioner to maintain it's normal position. When you go counter-clockwise you pull the belt against the tensioner pulley which then pushes in against the tensioner, collapsing it. Even if you did find the belt loose after rotating backwards all that would mean is that you pushed in the tensioner. The only real way to test this is to rotate the engine around a couple of times (CLOCKWISE!), reset to TDC, and measure the protrusion of the tensioner.
    I am not saying it isn't safe, but I trust my knowledge and my skills to do safe things on cars. I would never recommend a normal person to do this. You can do what you want to, and I'll do what I want to. Regardless, there is 0 slack. This still doesn't mean there wont be slack under a load in first gear when the engine is really torquing.

  5. #25
    Stealth owner since '91
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since

    Location
    Sthrn NH/Eastern Ma
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
    Oh I know, and I'm not trying to pick a fight, but you've got to remember "normal people" read these posts too. Plenty of folks have gotten into trouble turning the engine backwards and you wouldn't want some one to try it because Blindmist has done it "a 1000 times".. Besides you've got to expect some push back when you go against conventional wisdom.
    Like this:
    This still doesn't mean there wont be slack under a load in first gear when the engine is really torquing.
    Conventional wisdom would say that engine torque has little to do with t-belt tension. The amount of force working on the belt would be whatever it takes to turn the pulleys. Increasing speed might increase the load on the belt, as it takes more force to move things faster, but how hard the engine is pushing (against the vehicle's weight) has nothing to do with it

  6. #26
    Member verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    687
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 45 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve '92ES View Post
    Oh I know, and I'm not trying to pick a fight, but you've got to remember "normal people" read these posts too. Plenty of folks have gotten into trouble turning the engine backwards and you wouldn't want some one to try it because Blindmist has done it "a 1000 times".. Besides you've got to expect some push back when you go against conventional wisdom.
    Like this:
    Conventional wisdom would say that engine torque has little to do with t-belt tension. The amount of force working on the belt would be whatever it takes to turn the pulleys. Increasing speed might increase the load on the belt, as it takes more force to move things faster, but how hard the engine is pushing (against the vehicle's weight) has nothing to do with it
    I, sir, love your rebuttal. You need to further comment on the Legalization of Cannabis thread.

    Anyway, I was more referring to the torque from the crank gear on the belt. I know there is more pressure on a belt. I am just not sure how much an if it would make a difference. Although, I am fairly certain the tensioner is good because it IS brand spanking new and I had the engine on a stand for a long time and checked it over and over. Like I said, I have had one fail, I wanted 0 chance on this build. BUT STILL, there is no 100% guarantee that the tensioner isn't the problem until I really get down and dirty with it.

  7. #27
    Stealth owner since '91
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since

    Location
    Sthrn NH/Eastern Ma
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
    You need to further comment on the Legalization of Cannabis thread.
    Comment further? I don't believe I've commented at all in that thread. If I had it would be to point out that anything I can grow in my backyard is just God's little gift to me...

  8. #28
    The one. The only. verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

    Location
    SWPA
    Posts
    4,042
    Thanks
    182
    Thanked 699 Times in 529 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve68 View Post
    Most kids wouldn't have a clue.

    The first sign is the overflow bottle being low.
    The second sign is the first popped hose.
    The third sign is running hotter than normal and increased topping up needed.

    A compression test doesn't work.
    The junk yard here is full of 6Gs with melted cambelts, bent valves and rusty looking cooling systems.

    Steve
    I've seen several blown headgaskets and not once has a blown headgasket caused a failed water pump. A failed water pump can cause overheating issues though.

    [06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

  9. #29
    Member verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    687
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 45 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve '92ES View Post
    Comment further? I don't believe I've commented at all in that thread. If I had it would be to point out that anything I can grow in my backyard is just God's little gift to me...
    I meant more alone the lines of Comment further in the Legalization thread, sorry. I just like the way you argue!

  10. #30
    Stealth owner since '91
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since

    Location
    Sthrn NH/Eastern Ma
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
    I just like the way you argue!
    Funny, it just pisses my girlfriend off...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive
Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering