Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: I think my water pump is going bad.

  1. #11
    There will be Blood! verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1997

    Location
    In Sane!
    Posts
    4,677
    Thanks
    1,081
    Thanked 449 Times in 331 Posts
    Yes, but not always does it happen to create such drastic results.

    Mine did start to sound similar to what you describe. It sat for 3 yrs before I bought it with 8k on a 60k. 3 weeks into owner ship the sound appeared.

    The pump froze at 55mph the idler self destructed, the tensioner followed. The crank teeth stripped the belt smooth. I assumed carnage, but valves and pistons survived unscathed!







    Luck, maybe! I would definitely figure it out before finding out the hard way though...

    Help them, for they know not that which they do not know!
    CoopKill's Mistress Makeover Thread!
    "Punk, Nutswinging, Small Time, Asshat, Monkey, Jerkoff, Loser that rides on other peoples accomplishments!" . .

  2. #12
    Member verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    687
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 45 Times in 28 Posts
    I just hope to get the pin back in my tensioner to save myself another $75. I am replacing the pump next weekend when I get some money in.

  3. #13
    | @/|/| +|2()|/| verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    December 2009

    Location
    Fox Cities, WI
    Posts
    1,128
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
    If you need a new tensioner, I have one with ~8k miles on it...You should be able to get the pin in using a vice

  4. #14
    Member verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    687
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 45 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by terrets View Post
    If you need a new tensioner, I have one with ~8k miles on it...You should be able to get the pin in using a vice
    Hopefully I can get the pin in before pulling the belt off.

  5. #15
    | @/|/| +|2()|/| verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    December 2009

    Location
    Fox Cities, WI
    Posts
    1,128
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
    Hah good luck.

  6. #16
    The one. The only. verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

    Location
    SWPA
    Posts
    4,042
    Thanks
    182
    Thanked 699 Times in 529 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve68 View Post
    Waterpumps often go bad because the headgasket has already failed, there's an increase in pressure in the cooling system, that makes the pump seal fail, water gets into the pump bearings, it seizes, the cambelt melts, 24 bent valves.

    Steve
    I think you're smoking the good shit again.

    Water pumps fail due to age and usually the bearings failing. If a headgasket were bad, he'd know it.

    [06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

  7. #17
    Member verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    687
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 45 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
    I think you're smoking the good shit again.

    Water pumps fail due to age and usually the bearings failing. If a headgasket were bad, he'd know it.
    I was gunna say, I compression checked it at 155psi. No water in the exhaust and it doesn't spray out of the thermostat when the cap is off and I am cranking the engine.

  8. #18
    The one. The only. verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

    Location
    SWPA
    Posts
    4,042
    Thanks
    182
    Thanked 699 Times in 529 Posts
    The knocking you are hearing sounds like it could be a timing belt slap from a possible failing tensioner.

  9. #19
    Member verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    687
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 45 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
    The knocking you are hearing sounds like it could be a timing belt slap from a possible failing tensioner.
    This is something I am going to check. But if that were the case, shouldn't I hear it more on the front exhaust cam than on the water pump? I mean the water pump is LOUD with a stethoscope, and the cams are fairly quite, even on the cam caps, not the valve cover.

    Also, I have turned it on and off several times to get the motor in different positions, even turning it backwards slowly by hand and forwards as well. I don't ever see any excessive slack in the belt. I also have had a tensioner fail completely and some how caught it before it messed anything up and it doesn't sound like this, but then again, if it is starting to fail, it could sound different.
    Last edited by blindmist; 10-24-2010 at 04:45 PM.

  10. #20
    The one. The only. verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

    Location
    SWPA
    Posts
    4,042
    Thanks
    182
    Thanked 699 Times in 529 Posts
    You dont ever want to tun the engine backwards. You are almost guaranteed to make it jump time like that.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive
Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering