Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 86

Thread: Good luck to Blue Velocity at NASA TTU @ High Plains Raceway this weekend!

  1. #61
    Advanced Tech? verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2006

    Posts
    938
    Thanks
    159
    Thanked 139 Times in 87 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Erron Spalsbury View Post
    Nah, no need to. I'm going to do the side mount. I've seen it work.
    I definitely want to see this! not because i'm gonna copy it, but i'm curious as hell.
    Maddog Performance Engineering

  2. #62
    Oil cooler is on the side.

    I just found out something fun today, stock mitsu temp probes, ya, they only go to 186 degrees. At 190, they are zero ohm. Swapping it now to a real sender for more testing.
    www.stickyvinylgraphics.com
    Custom Stickers & Graphics

    www.chumpcar.com
    Regional Series Promoter for the ChumpCar World Series

  3. #63
    Forum User verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2000

    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Erron Spalsbury View Post
    Oil cooler is on the side.

    I just found out something fun today, stock mitsu temp probes, ya, they only go to 186 degrees. At 190, they are zero ohm. Swapping it now to a real sender for more testing.
    Interesting. Wonder how MMCD logger was giving me coolant temps upwards of 240 deg. at times. Which temp probe, the ECU sensor, the stock gauge sensor, or the A/C sensor? Already going to replace the guage sensor with an AEM water temp gauge.

  4. #64
    The one on the thermostat housing, if standing on the passenger side looking at the motor. The one on the far left has a white connector, that's the AC, then the one in the middle, that's the one that the ECU reads and the one to the far right is one that goes to the stock gauge cluster. I was pulling the temp from the middle one. It's all better now, just plumed in one that sweeps from -20 to 400 degrees and it's calibrated. (only took it up to running temp, actual testing will come later.

  5. #65
    One day....it will be on 4 wheels. supporter
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2004

    Posts
    1,804
    Thanks
    153
    Thanked 37 Times in 30 Posts
    Finally people agreeing that FMIC does not work


    so what's your plan? the local guy here who does pretty much what you do is going water to air with the radiators for it mounted elsewhere in the car (aka not infront of the radiator)
    Building a House, Car Mods on hold!
    1996 GTO, Owner since 2003.

  6. #66
    I'm trying a few things. It looks like the bypass valve in the thermostat takes far too long to fully go to radiator mode.

  7. #67
    Banned J. Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    - O - SIX -

    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    2,711
    Thanks
    405
    Thanked 200 Times in 140 Posts
    I still am of the opinion that you're chasing your tail on the issue. You're cavitating coolant, E. Is adding another radiator going to prevent you fom still doing it? Water doesn't have to boil to start getting air bubbles and expanding. I can also do the same from turbulance from impulsewaves in the heads no and block, casting imperfections and lastly and most importantly from not having enough pressure and being too slow. I think the second radiator would cause too dramatic of a pressure drop and you will collapse the coolant and it will also bubble.

    If it were myself before I did anything I'd do some engine pressure testing before proceeding. I think I might collapse all the valves in each cylinder and pressure test each combustion chamber to 160psi and see if coolant's lifting.

    Coolant is just like an other fluid such as air, fuel, or oil. You get the most efficient use out of it when it stays together and travels in a uniform column with no separation, mixing, or cavitation. My guess is you're experiencing coolant separation. In order to bring back uniformity the system will require that you install a filter. The filter will seperates and isolates any turbulance that can form in the coolant system. An entrapment filter will catch the air bubbles and keep the coolant uniform.

    If you notice every fluid system on my street car has a heat sink, filter, and cavitation or separation trap. One for air, fuel, oil, and coolant. I filter them because I know what happens when you get separation of fluid.

    Going back to this more capacity thing. It will absolutely work. Increasing surface area will help, as would increasing airflow. Any combination of the two will help. However, if you're still going to "eventually" get hot or your slowing the coolant way down because of two stage cooling you'll have to filter the fluid or its going to get air bubbles.

    So you can add more weight and piping, another remote radiator, and build a coolant bubble filter and separation reservior. Or, you could just move what you have around and increase the airflow. You have 12" of nose left on the car to move some stuff forward. Take a look at all the cutaways at the PRM roadrace car in the front, open the bumper and put some vents in there and duct to the radiator or move the ic and the radiator and mount them somewhere else.

    And quit tap dancing around the issues. Discuss them openly with 3STech's so they can be addressed and all perspectives and advice can be given and good solutions to problems can be achieved by group brainstorming.

    If I wasn't there and didn't know you al I would've interpreted is, "there was a race, and it was awesome". You left out a lot of details, share. There are things that can be improved upon and issues that keep resurfacing over and over, open up the discussion and get some 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinions, and etc... that's how you fix stuff.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Fast View Post
    I still am of the opinion that you're chasing your tail on the issue. You're cavitating coolant, E.
    Negative. If I were, it would do it on the first pull on the dyno or in past years of racing. I truly do believe it's not cavitating.

    Quote Originally Posted by J. Fast View Post
    Is adding another radiator going to prevent you fom still doing it? Water doesn't have to boil to start getting air bubbles and expanding. I can also do the same from turbulance from impulsewaves in the heads no and block, casting imperfections and lastly and most importantly from not having enough pressure and being too slow. I think the second radiator would cause too dramatic of a pressure drop and you will collapse the coolant and it will also bubble.
    Oh hell no. If that were the case the 6 gallon Nascar systems would also have this issue. You can't over cool from my research.

    Quote Originally Posted by J. Fast View Post
    If it were myself before I did anything I'd do some engine pressure testing before proceeding. I think I might collapse all the valves in each cylinder and pressure test each combustion chamber to 160psi and see if coolant's lifting.
    Which is like a 1/100th of actual combustion and would do nothing... Dude, the head is not flexing at this power level. The -PROPER- test is a combustion gas tester for the coolant, there is none in mine. ($29.95 at Napa)

    Quote Originally Posted by J. Fast View Post
    Coolant is just like an other fluid such as air, fuel, or oil. You get the most efficient use out of it when it stays together and travels in a uniform column with no separation, mixing, or cavitation. My guess is you're experiencing coolant separation. In order to bring back uniformity the system will require that you install a filter. The filter will seperates and isolates any turbulance that can form in the coolant system. An entrapment filter will catch the air bubbles and keep the coolant uniform.
    It's not a filter, it's a swirl pot or accumulator that removes air. Which filter are you talking about?

    Quote Originally Posted by J. Fast View Post
    If you notice every fluid system on my street car has a heat sink, filter, and cavitation or separation trap. One for air, fuel, oil, and coolant. I filter them because I know what happens when you get separation of fluid.
    What are you talking about? I know you have the heat sink on the fuel line, but there is no swirl pot or surge tank? Or on the oil, or the coolant? Huh?

    Quote Originally Posted by J. Fast View Post
    Going back to this more capacity thing. It will absolutely work. Increasing surface area will help, as would increasing airflow. Any combination of the two will help. However, if you're still going to "eventually" get hot or your slowing the coolant way down because of two stage cooling you'll have to filter the fluid or its going to get air bubbles.

    So you can add more weight and piping, another remote radiator, and build a coolant bubble filter and separation reservior. Or, you could just move what you have around and increase the airflow. You have 12" of nose left on the car to move some stuff forward. Take a look at all the cutaways at the PRM roadrace car in the front, open the bumper and put some vents in there and duct to the radiator or move the ic and the radiator and mount them somewhere else.
    Not gonna happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by J. Fast View Post
    And quit tap dancing around the issues. Discuss them openly with 3STech's so they can be addressed and all perspectives and advice can be given and good solutions to problems can be achieved by group brainstorming.
    Uh, dude.

    Quote Originally Posted by J. Fast View Post
    If I wasn't there and didn't know you al I would've interpreted is, "there was a race, and it was awesome". You left out a lot of details, share. There are things that can be improved upon and issues that keep resurfacing over and over, open up the discussion and get some 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinions, and etc... that's how you fix stuff.
    Actually, things get fixed by testing, not talking about it on an internet forum. It's fun to theorize and take educated guesses though. I'll go ahead and mention what I think is happening at this point from some testing I did yesterday. The cooling system -may- be working like it is supposed to. The t-stat just isn't reacting quick enough or at a really high temperature. The bypass valve on the t-stat (return block off) doesn't fully close until just over 200. By that point the system -may- have gone into a sue-do thermal runaway and now can't cool the mixture quick enough. So, instead of having the system try to cool an already overheated fluid (which it can't do in an off/on/off scenario) I'm going to try the system in a locked down mode. T-stat always open, block off always blocked off. Will it work? I will find out.

  9. #69
    Banned J. Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    - O - SIX -

    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    2,711
    Thanks
    405
    Thanked 200 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Fast View Post
    Hood...



    You're generating turbulance in you're coolant system, E. Any engineer couls tell you that by simple observation. Observe radiator hoses. Those acordians look pretty disruptive and turbulant to me. Turbulant flow right behind an air-gap, the hole to your coolant overflow tank. The coolant system is probably taking gulps of air. I'm thinking if I was in your position I might install a coolanta separator or a filtered air bubble expansion tank to separate the air gap and separation being from turbulance.

    Doesn't PRM run one on their racecar? I remember seeing a pic of one a long time ago. What's Ralliart's setup? I bet they have a coolant air trap in there. Their car's a real hour+ enduro. I would bet money they have one so their coolant stays uniform and doesn't separate and develop turbulance bubbles.

    I'm trying to help you E, and a have discussion. Gotta put that ego away my friend.

  10. #70
    I don't own a VR4! Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2007

    Location
    Andover, MN
    Posts
    529
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
    Those rad hoses are smooth inside, those look like rad hose sleeves that go over the stock hoses to prevent the hose from flexing under hot conditions. I think the sidemount idea will work just fine. Putting the rad in front of the FMIC won't cool the intake charge down enough. Are you running meth injection to cool the intake charge down?
    Your 1993 Dodge Stealth is one of 6351 that received VIN numbers. Based on the order of the serial numbers, your car was the 5212nd out of the 6351 that were made that year.
    Your car was built in the 3rd week of February 1993. Of the 47380 vehicles made at the Nayoga plant, your car was the 40537th vehicle to be created that year.
    There are 281 other cars that were made with both the same interior and exterior color. There are 779 cars with the same exterior color and 2316 cars with the same interior color.
    Note: The production order is assigned based on the order of the serial number.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive
Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering