Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 52

Thread: Pushing Mark's VR-4 w/ BM Billet 19T's - 600AWTQ and Counting!

  1. #21
    Forum User verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    August 2010

    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,494
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 57 Times in 46 Posts
    Alan, here are a few old 19t dyno charts of mine from a few years ago...take them with a grain of salt. I didn't have a map sensor back then but most of these pulls were in the 20-22psi range. Stock intercoolers, EVO MAF and HL wheels...though I ported the hell out of my hotsides as you will see. Stock timing map(maybe 1-2 degrees added in some runs...I don't remember exactly) also on e85...Not sure if they're helpful or not but just some additional data you could possibly compare against?







    571 pull was an outlier...


    Traced the timing map according to the datalogs...can't believe I used to run the stock map..!!




    I also had wrx compressor housings but you also have bigger housings with the BM billets..


    Last edited by NOMIEZVR4; 04-22-2015 at 12:57 AM.
    95 TD05 16G VR-4---540whp@24psi
    34XXlbs..

  2. #22
    SDSU Alumnus verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Nov 2006

    Location
    Chula Vista SD, CA
    Posts
    484
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Thanks for sharing Nomie. I will keep them in mind along with my other personal (cast+billet) 19T tuning results.

    From my FB discussion:

    Previously, the same boost setting yielded another 2-3lbs after installing the Vibrant vacuum block+lines and simultaneously addressing a noticeable leak. Today, I pressure-tested up to 32lbs and discovered a handful of small leaks (using soapy solution) at the plenum (ports and toward nose of motor); they all add up as small as they are.

    While I have it off, I will also finish reworking the engine bay for heat control and tidiness - two rear shields were done yesterday. I already made my tuning adjustments to get more aggressive again, so we will just need to cross our fingers and hope for the best.

    Interestingly, SoCal is supposed to get slight showers today. Talk about symbolism for "rebirth" would be nice to hit 600+ just in time for Mark's birthday weekend hehe.
    Last edited by bboyalan; 04-22-2015 at 05:37 PM.
    3/S Street Tuner San Diego's Panda VR-4 v.3 w/ 38psi (peak) on E85+Meth | 3094 lbs as of 7/2/19

    '92 VR-4 - Fully built, AEM EMS S2, MHI EVO3 16G's, suspension, and corner balancing | '10 EVO X SE | '04 EVO VIII SSL
    4/1/21 - "retuned" est. 570AWHP VD SAE (580 U/C | second gear | 88°F) holding ~30psi (more boost & less timing still... hehe)
    On the side (v.4): IPS single turbo kit w/ GReddy 70mm, BC 3.4 billet stroker crank, BC gears, Italo billet oil pump gears, etc.

    "There are no secrets better kept than the secrets that everybody guesses."

  3. #23
    SDSU Alumnus verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Nov 2006

    Location
    Chula Vista SD, CA
    Posts
    484
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Another update:

    I applied my fixes underhood and AEM tweaks earlier today. She is holding better up top with 28-29psi instead (1-2 gain), but the overall improvement is still not quite right. My next steps will be compression and cylinder leakdown tests to gain some insight. I am curious if exhaust reversion is an issue and/or cam timing as we already discussed.
    Last edited by bboyalan; 04-24-2015 at 03:39 PM.

  4. #24
    SDSU Alumnus verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Nov 2006

    Location
    Chula Vista SD, CA
    Posts
    484
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts


    "More progress! 538AWHP//602AWTQ VD SAE (+21//23 U/C) @28psi! The curve has improved noticeably after swapping-in the Panda's old coilpack that tested slightly better - primaries anyway.

    AEM adjustments were made now that I am revving her out more along with minor things underhood (wrap, shields, etc.) I still have more testing/diag to get out of the way. More to come!"
    Last edited by bboyalan; 04-28-2015 at 03:11 AM.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to bboyalan For This Useful Post:


  6. #25
    SDSU Alumnus verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Nov 2006

    Location
    Chula Vista SD, CA
    Posts
    484
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    *whew* warm day in the 80's today. Fortunately, I had some shade from our tree after yard work haha.


    "Multiple 35psi pressure-tests ("BLT") on HOT motor."


    "I guess we literally "blew the welds on the intake" LOL!!!! FFS"


    "I also re-confirmed that the timing sync was straight just to be safe."

    //edit//


    "I figured that this would be brought up, so I tried again without the bolt/hole soaked."
    Last edited by bboyalan; 04-28-2015 at 09:41 PM. Reason: added picture

  7. #26
    VR-3747 :D Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2008

    Location
    Dayton Ohio
    Posts
    1,792
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 123 Times in 86 Posts
    You can see where the lack of weld is. That SUCKS!
    rise and rise again until lambs become lions

  8. #27
    Forum User verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    November 1999

    Location
    Rowlett
    Posts
    1,275
    Thanks
    455
    Thanked 93 Times in 64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by futurevr4man View Post
    You can see where the lack of weld is. That SUCKS!


    Man, that sucks.

    -John

    1999 3000GT VR-4 #216 - 19T-HL running on Chromed ECU
    2012 Regal GS - 2013 Trail Teams FJ

  9. #28
    SDSU Alumnus verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Nov 2006

    Location
    Chula Vista SD, CA
    Posts
    484
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    As crappy as it is, I am just glad that I caught it. We may be reverting back to OEM TB+upper plenum for the meantime to complete this tuning phase and progress.

    This was my response to Matt on the other board:

    Quote Originally Posted by mjannusch
    Might have to weld around on the inside to seal it. No fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by bboyalan
    Yeah, if I had to guess, then that would be it. IDK if the leak continues around the runner toward the back. I have it documented in video for whenever I compile and upload the progress.

    Seller/Stock image:


    Sadly, the 70mm TB also showed a small leak on the TPS side; it supposedly received the "fix" that was advertised on here. Other than that, everything else was solid including both KV's.


  10. #29
    Forum User Not Verified

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since

    Posts
    331
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
    Interesting. I have one of those PNT Plenums also. Looks like I"ll have to pressure test mine before I install it for peace of mind.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

    ----------------[2007 Ride of the Year.................................. 3.5 Stroker I did. w/DBB DR1000's

  11. #30
    SDSU Alumnus verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Nov 2006

    Location
    Chula Vista SD, CA
    Posts
    484
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oohnoo View Post
    Interesting. I have one of those PNT Plenums also. Looks like I"ll have to pressure test mine before I install it for peace of mind.
    Bob! Do you actually still have yours? I thought you sold it years ago lol. I mentioned you somewhere (FB?) about being one of the few/only people with the TB+PNT plenum combo, but I honestly thought you had sold 'em before putting to use.

    I did suggest to Mark that he send his to you for inspection+repair, if necessary and possible =P I will eventually remove it again so that I can take a closer look at the inside.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive
Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering