Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 237

Thread: Back To Basics: Budget Rebuild

  1. #171
    Member verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Owner Since
    2010

    Location
    Decatur, TN
    Posts
    1,671
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 71 Times in 60 Posts
    In general, MAFT Pro (especially in speed density) should increase HP by making it easier for the turbos to suck air compared to draw thru, but may not be seen until higher boost levels or HP. Between the MAF and the turbos, the intake pipes will be further and further into vacuum as the turbos are spinning faster, the turbos than have to turn vacuum into boost. The farther the vacuum, the harder they have to work to create positive boost and the higher the boost level they are trying to achieve it just gets that much harder.

    Most of the evidence for folks to do one thing or another is anecdotal, so I'd like to use the VD feature of the Flash ECU to put that to rest. Ideally, I'd do the initial tune with Montero MAF and rubber intake pipes, then switch to metal intake pipes. Swap in a GM MAF in draw thru with rubber intake pipes, then draw thru with metal intake pipes. Follow that with GM MAF in blow thru with metal intake pipes, then with just filters on the turbos, before going SD with metal intake pipes and then filters on the turbos. Will likely be a very expensive venture to test it all, but it'd be nice to finally have some serious hard data for it. As my car isn't going to be remotely stock though, may not be SUPER applicable for guys doing this with 9Bs and 15Gs, but should be more applicable to those running 19Ts, DR650s and bigger.

    This sort of testing will be a ways off however as I have much to do this winter to get the rest of the car ready.
    Mods: 2g 3k body conversion, 2g Brake upgrade, Rota P45R rims
    Projects: Interior sound deadening, 14Bs, forged bottom end, custom radiator and sound mounts

  2. #172
    JNS Engineering verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1994

    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,112
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 155 Times in 110 Posts
    May be a difficult comparison. When I went from stock to EVO MAF I had to retune and I expect to have to retune again with the Z06 / MAFT combo I have waiting.

    Mod list (scroll down the page)
    JNS Engineering has your Spyders covered (and uncovered too!!)

  3. #173
    Forum User Not Verified

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2004

    Location
    Cape Girardeau
    Posts
    4,791
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 296 Times in 214 Posts
    I've seen practically no difference in the tune eco maf to gm draw through. 3-4% more fuel mid is all it needed and my car was always lean there.



    Wot and idle was perfect zeroed. Start a click rich and you'll be ok.

    Parting 6 speed
    Pampena 3.5 Stroker, GTX 2867 Gen IIs, AEM Series2, oohnoo SMIC, DN Hardpipes, FIC 1650s, Walbro 525, aermotive fpr, Dejon intake pipes, Tial Q, Koyo Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptech 332mm fronts, HKS GT4 Coilovers, Spec 4+ LW, JDM 6 Speed, Billet shift forks, Pampena brace

  4. #174
    Member verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Owner Since
    2010

    Location
    Decatur, TN
    Posts
    1,671
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 71 Times in 60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimvr4 View Post
    May be a difficult comparison. When I went from stock to EVO MAF I had to retune and I expect to have to retune again with the Z06 / MAFT combo I have waiting.
    I'll have to retune either way as with E85, I should exceed the limits of the stock MAF, so going to have to go with the Evo MAF at a minimum. Given how cheap they (or the Montero) are, and the cost of an adapter harness for plug and play connection, no reason to even bother starting with the stock MAF.

    At any rate, it will be after the car is up and running and broken in before I start messing with this stuff, I would very much like to get as close to a back to back as I can just so that there's finally empirical data. And of course, because horsepower.

  5. #175
    Member verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Owner Since
    2010

    Location
    Decatur, TN
    Posts
    1,671
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 71 Times in 60 Posts


    Compressor moved back into the corner of the garage.



    Had this cabinet someone was throwing out, looked like shit so I sanded it down and repainted it with a Benjamin Moore Super Spec DTM paint. Worked hard to give it a kind of wrinkle finish..Unfortunately damaged it in a couple spots when I was moving it in side the garage this evening (despite letting it dry outside for like 4 hours.) I plan on putting it back by the compressor and work bench to store power and air tools in.





    Also did the wiring for the compressor today and tested it, as well as installed an auto drain valve. I am going to be installing a combo air regulator/filter, chain it to a water/oil separator before running it out to the tools. Ideally, I'd like to mount the regulator and separator to the workbench for laziness purposes, but we will see.







    Lastly, finished wrapping the top of my workbench with a steel sheet. Going to just epoxy over the gap and then sand it fairly smooth and likely top it with a stainless steel paint. Need to mount the rest of these shelving units out here to get some more storage space for shit and free up more room to work. Also need to clean this fucking gas tank so I can bring it into the house and reclaim some more storage space in the garage.
    Last edited by sergechronos; 09-28-2014 at 08:54 PM.

  6. #176
    There will be Blood! verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1997

    Location
    In Sane!
    Posts
    4,677
    Thanks
    1,081
    Thanked 449 Times in 331 Posts
    If it were me I would leave the ss top nakid. Paint will only transfer on to whatever you are working on, and scratch/chip/peel.

    Help them, for they know not that which they do not know!
    CoopKill's Mistress Makeover Thread!
    "Punk, Nutswinging, Small Time, Asshat, Monkey, Jerkoff, Loser that rides on other peoples accomplishments!" . .

  7. #177
    Member verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Owner Since
    2010

    Location
    Decatur, TN
    Posts
    1,671
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 71 Times in 60 Posts
    Unfortunately isn't SS top, IIRC it's a galvanized steel. May need to double check, might be aluminum (in which case I'd be okay.) The galvanized would need some type of covering to prevent it from corroding.

  8. #178
    Forum User Not Verified

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2004

    Location
    Cape Girardeau
    Posts
    4,791
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 296 Times in 214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sergechronos View Post
    Unfortunately isn't SS top, IIRC it's a galvanized steel. May need to double check, might be aluminum (in which case I'd be okay.) The galvanized would need some type of covering to prevent it from corroding.
    mine is just 11 gauge straight steel plate that I oil every once in a while, no corrosion issues and it can't get scratched.



    there's the finish. It is two 8 feet by 2 feet benches tied together.

  9. #179
    Member verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Owner Since
    2010

    Location
    Decatur, TN
    Posts
    1,671
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 71 Times in 60 Posts
    Damn that looks really good. This is just two 2'x4' 24ga galvanized sheets wrapped around the wood top so that I don't have to worry about oil and fluids.

    Contemplated going with a 12-14ga steel sheet, but I have no way to cut something like that. I will likely just roll with this till I can find a suitably thick piece of steel or aluminum to put there and then move the wrapped piece to the bottom shelf.

    Contemplating running a solid line set up for the compressor to the regulator, maybe just utilize some copper tubing for it, but not sure just yet. Wonder if there's any benefit to upsizing these lines to 3/8" (to include between the tank and pressure switch.)

  10. #180
    Forum User Not Verified

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2004

    Location
    Cape Girardeau
    Posts
    4,791
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 296 Times in 214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sergechronos View Post
    Damn that looks really good. This is just two 2'x4' 24ga galvanized sheets wrapped around the wood top so that I don't have to worry about oil and fluids.

    Contemplated going with a 12-14ga steel sheet, but I have no way to cut something like that. I will likely just roll with this till I can find a suitably thick piece of steel or aluminum to put there and then move the wrapped piece to the bottom shelf.

    Contemplating running a solid line set up for the compressor to the regulator, maybe just utilize some copper tubing for it, but not sure just yet. Wonder if there's any benefit to upsizing these lines to 3/8" (to include between the tank and pressure switch.)
    my local metal places cut their 4x8 sheet into 2 2x8 sheets for like $4 extra dollars. I think it was $105 total with tax. Then I had about 100 in 2 by 4s and screws. that's it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive
Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering