Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: What causes mold in the interior?

  1. #1
    I lack color... verified

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Aug 1998

    Posts
    3,589
    Thanks
    104
    Thanked 498 Times in 241 Posts

    What causes mold in the interior?

    This is the strangest thing I've ever seen...





    It's only growing on the vynil panels. The floor, glass and plastic parts are clean. This also appeared sometime in the last month. Interior was spotless... Car sat parked in the garage under a cover the whole time.

    It wipes right off, so cleaning it should be easy. How do I keep it from coming back?

    2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - 1.8L 5-speed 3.9 torsen FMII powered
    Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/threa.../greg-pa-build

    99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
    98 Pearl White VR4 #54 of 231 - 12.84@105mph - 93 Octane 12.50@107mph - 100 Octane with Chromed ECU - sold
    99 Pearl White VR4 #108 of 287 - 3RD place stock car class ECG 11 - Sold
    98 Black VR4: 100% stock - totalled by an Illegal 2-12-08
    95 White Stealth TT - 11.852 @ 118.25 - sold
    95 SSG Stealth TT - 11.981 @ 115.81mph - sold

    "I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."

  2. #2
    Padawan garage troll Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2004

    Location
    Newark, DE
    Posts
    635
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
    Dehumidifier in the garage.

    Revel in your time
    91 AWD TT
    K&N FIPK, Precats gutted, Test Pipe, Blitz DSBC, Walbro 255, Vacuum reduction, SM3, MMCd, Krank Vents, 3SX Aluminum Crank Pulley, Aluminum 2PC DS, MAFT Pro (AFC mode atm).

    To do list: Need to check electronic timing, install FP hotwire, install PS poly MM, RUACAs, Setrab oil cooler, Dejon Y-pipe, 3.5 GM Mas, FIC 650ccs & 13Ts.

  3. #3
    BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2/2010

    Location
    L'Anse, MI
    Posts
    2,476
    Thanks
    1,262
    Thanked 594 Times in 488 Posts
    That oughta help.

    I have a small trove of Detex key-clocks which are carried in fitted leather cases that did/do exactly the same thing, Greg.

    In other circumstances, I would recommend bleach to kill the mold, but I'm sure a bit of research will lead you to something gentler and more appropriate to the task.

    Might require a few applications to lick the problem, but covering the car may have been the kicker that got it started.

    The car probably just needs to breath a bit - I don't think I'd cover a car in a garage unless there was danger of damage from traffic; long-term storage is just a wash away from being pretty again, anyway.

    A dehumidifier/air conditioner would be a deluxe solution, for sure.
    Ranked No. #1 in initial quality

    Idiots, simply by being idiots, seem capable of achieving randomly bad things that are beyond the imaginings of sensible people.

  4. #4
    I lack color... verified

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Aug 1998

    Posts
    3,589
    Thanks
    104
    Thanked 498 Times in 241 Posts
    There's a lot of traffic in the garage which is why it's covered. Can't do a dehumidifier or AC either.

    I'll try some large irridesicant bags.

  5. #5
    Monogamous Gigolo verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    October 2009

    Location
    Ithaca, Mi.
    Posts
    2,755
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    605
    Thanked 190 Times in 131 Posts
    how about silca packets?

  6. #6
    Forum User verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    ~2006

    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA/Wheeling, WV
    Posts
    867
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Ya I was going to say put some silica in there. At the very least crack the windows under the cover a little.

    Do you start the car once in a while or does it sit undisturbed? If you start it once in a while maybe blast the AC on max cold with the windows shut to get some moisture out for the time being. Stuff like that likes dark and damp so if you can eliminate those things you'll be good.

  7. #7
    Monogamous Gigolo verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    October 2009

    Location
    Ithaca, Mi.
    Posts
    2,755
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    605
    Thanked 190 Times in 131 Posts
    Greg, I can send you about 50+ silica capsules....My wife brings them to me from her work when the drug bottle is emptied.

  8. #8
    I lack color... verified

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Aug 1998

    Posts
    3,589
    Thanks
    104
    Thanked 498 Times in 241 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HLxDrummer View Post
    Ya I was going to say put some silica in there. At the very least crack the windows under the cover a little.

    Do you start the car once in a while or does it sit undisturbed? If you start it once in a while maybe blast the AC on max cold with the windows shut to get some moisture out for the time being. Stuff like that likes dark and damp so if you can eliminate those things you'll be good.
    Motor is apart.

  9. #9
    I lack color... verified

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Aug 1998

    Posts
    3,589
    Thanks
    104
    Thanked 498 Times in 241 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fnloud View Post
    Greg, I can send you about 50+ silica capsules....My wife brings them to me from her work when the drug bottle is emptied.
    Already got sone from work. Thanks man.

  10. #10
    Forum User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2000

    Posts
    1,241
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    213
    Thanked 91 Times in 64 Posts
    Last edited by mb7050; 08-09-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • History
  • Information
  • Groups
  • Events
  • Resources
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net