Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 50

Thread: The death of the manual is a self proclaimed prophecy

  1. #31
    Forum User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Owner Since
    Fall 2012

    Posts
    67
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 95gto View Post
    I think the idea is that when you drive a manual you have to do more stuff which limits your ability to multitask. It is much harder to have someting in both hands and drive a manual. Meanwhile we have brilliant atx drivers with a cup of coffee in one hand and a breakfast sandwhich in the other while they drive.

    I don't know that everyone in manuals would make a dent in the number of accidents but it would dramatically change the way bumper to bumper traffic works. No more dragging the brake during idle speed crawling.
    Pretty much this, it's hard to text while having to constant up and down shift. Plus I personally think people who drive sticks drive better and safer.
    "Why pay for a sports car, keep is clean and shiny, mod it, and drive it like a bitch?"

  2. #32
    Forum User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since

    Posts
    503
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 84 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IPD View Post
    based on what? i'd bet there'd be more. people REFUSE to put down their smartphones, regardless.
    Driving a manual forces you to pay some amount of attention to what you do, especially in traffic.

  3. #33
    Member verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    05

    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    543
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts
    Pfft I learned how to text and drive on a manual back.I. the day on a Kyocera , lot easier to text on an old phone, I could do it without even looking at the phone

    Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

  4. #34
    Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    6,490
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    483
    Thanked 543 Times in 390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donniekak View Post
    Driving a manual forces you to pay some amount of attention to what you do, especially in traffic.
    you might as well argue that automatic pilot, hydraulic landing gear, glass cockpits, bitchin-betty, etc...are all a bad idea, because don't "force the pilot to pay some amount of attention to what he's doing".

    i don't buy that logic. an idiot at the controls is an idiot at the controls. hell, you could also make the argument that computers are "less safe" now than they were 10 years ago. the problem is a pebkac error; the idiot who thinks he can get 5 million dollars from nigeria & a larger penis to boot.

  5. #35
    Forum User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Owner Since
    Fall 2012

    Posts
    67
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I think someone's offended because they drive an automatic

  6. #36
    Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    6,490
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    483
    Thanked 543 Times in 390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 94stealthr/t View Post
    I think someone's offended because they drive an automatic
    you're damn right i am. i'm just as offended as a gun owner who is being told that guns are responsible for homicides--not the individual who wields them.

  7. #37
    Mad JDM Tite
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2004

    Location
    STL
    Posts
    624
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 88 Times in 65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IPD View Post
    you might as well argue that automatic pilot, hydraulic landing gear, glass cockpits, bitchin-betty, etc...are all a bad idea, because don't "force the pilot to pay some amount of attention to what he's doing".

    i don't buy that logic. an idiot at the controls is an idiot at the controls. hell, you could also make the argument that computers are "less safe" now than they were 10 years ago. the problem is a pebkac error; the idiot who thinks he can get 5 million dollars from nigeria & a larger penis to boot.
    I whole heartedly agree that the real problem is the moron at the controls but until this country decides to actually institute a true driver training requirement with regard to getting a driver's license we will be hopelessly plagued by morons at the controls.

    However this doesn't address the fact that manual transmissions require more driver interaction than an automatic, and as such force the driver to pay more attention. It is an inescapable reality that even the best multitaskers can only do so much at once, and when you require an extra foot and hand to drive a car as well require the driver to monitor engine speed you limit that person's ability to do other stuff.

    Will the manual transmission by mere presence prevent poor driving habits like improper braking, merging, lane changes, travel speed, following distance, etc; no it will not. It will however take a bite out of the bad driving habits associated with not paying attention to the car and the road.

    As for GPS, I think those things are worthy of their own thread due to the issue they create. They are like giving calculators to elementary schools students rather than expecting them to learn basic arithmetic.
    Last edited by 95gto; 04-12-2013 at 11:34 AM.

  8. #38
    Forum User verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2008

    Location
    St.Louis
    Posts
    501
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Totally agree that a manual forces you to focus more on the road than other things like texting, eating, etc. Whenever I drive the family suburban (auto) I find myself not paying as much attention to the road as I do when im driving my 5 speed. BTW levi my wheels are gold now, change your sig pic =p.
    93 Stealth ES - 3000GT conversion,AWD conversion, ACPT 1 piece CFDS, Operable AA wing, 99 rear garnish, R/T sails, ABS delete, SS Clutch line, SS braided brake lines, Vac clutch assist, 2G TT brakes all around, Kyb Gr-2 shocks, Megan Springs up front Tein S tech's in the rear, Cusco rear strut bar, Ebay front strut bar, TT cat back exhaust , K&N cone filter, Poly motor mounts, Poly front suspension bushings, and poly rear diff bushings.

  9. #39
    Relax, it's just rocket science!
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Nov 2001

    Location
    Ozark, AL
    Posts
    1,211
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked 122 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IPD View Post
    you might as well argue that automatic pilot, hydraulic landing gear, glass cockpits, bitchin-betty, etc...are all a bad idea, because don't "force the pilot to pay some amount of attention to what he's doing".

    i don't buy that logic. an idiot at the controls is an idiot at the controls. hell, you could also make the argument that computers are "less safe" now than they were 10 years ago. the problem is a pebkac error; the idiot who thinks he can get 5 million dollars from nigeria & a larger penis to boot.
    This is a terrible strawman argument. I don't think commercial airline pilots have to worry about bumper-to-bumper traffic and crossing intersections with any of these innovations.

    John, I know what you mean. I'm absolutely in love with the new Fusion, but they don't offer a manual with the 2.0T AWD. That really torqued me!

    I'm in a similar position that you're in. At the end of the day, I may just keep my current DD since it will fit my twins and any other future kids we decide to have comfortably. That will allow me to buy whatever the hell I want without worrying about how practical it is.

  10. #40
    Mad JDM Tite
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2004

    Location
    STL
    Posts
    624
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 88 Times in 65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodlust182 View Post
    Totally agree that a manual forces you to focus more on the road than other things like texting, eating, etc. Whenever I drive the family suburban (auto) I find myself not paying as much attention to the road as I do when im driving my 5 speed. BTW levi my wheels are gold now, change your sig pic =p.
    I don't have the motivation to change my car's color from white to silver and do the 99 conversion, what makes you think I have the motivation to update your car? Not to mention that your car is pre-3000gt panel change.

    I guess I will need to get motivated and do a due a formal sig update.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive
Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering