Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 172

Thread: 3SX or other non-OEM Custom Crank Pulley vibrations vs STOCK CRANK PULLEY smooth ???

  1. #11
    Member Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2008

    Posts
    883
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 34 Times in 23 Posts
    Hey there Rolland, I didnt think you were still around. I believe I have a 3sx pulley and a bolt that im not using that I can sell you. Let me know if you want it.
    -Benn
    Master Elite KIA Technician
    Past> Level 3 Chrysler & Bronze level Hyundai
    1994 3000GT VR4 - #175 Black/Black 99 VR4
    2013 135is - 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo - Hers
    Follow my build thread here

  2. #12
    Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    6,490
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    483
    Thanked 543 Times in 390 Posts
    as everyone else noted, for n/a, solids are fine. crank flex becomes a significant problem when the piston forces reach a certain level. there IS a point at which running a solid will be a fool's gamble on a build--so please don't take anecdotal evidence from people who have never ran into that limit--as absolute fact. ray p. has posted proof of the problems that can exist by running solids.

  3. #13
    Never finishes any verified

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2001

    Location
    Wake Forest, NC
    Posts
    2,518
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 197 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IPD View Post
    as everyone else noted, for n/a, solids are fine. crank flex becomes a significant problem when the piston forces reach a certain level. there IS a point at which running a solid will be a fool's gamble on a build--so please don't take anecdotal evidence from people who have never ran into that limit--as absolute fact. ray p. has posted proof of the problems that can exist by running solids.
    Since none of us have reached that limit then our evidence is correct and since I'm pretty sure the OP is not looking to go anywhere close to Ray P. then he is safe to run a solid.

    Check it out on Youtube!!


    93 Stealth TT - The Stealth Project

    Renegade Tech Works ECS Controller on Intrax Springs
    Chrome ECU
    Hybrid 13g's
    EVO 560cc Injectors
    Spec Stage 3 clutch
    Ninja Performance Output shaft & Input spool
    Ninja Performance Solid Tensioner & Gates racing T-Belt
    CX Racing Dual Core FMIC
    Megan SS Exhaust
    Fidanza Cam Gears and Clear Covers
    3rd Gen Lifters
    HKS BOV
    K&N FIPK
    Maximal High flow converter
    Walbro FP & FuelLab FPR
    Maximal and Seattle Solid Mounts
    All -6an Lines
    Custom -6AN coolant neck lines
    AWS/ABS/Cruise Delete
    MP Rear Control Arms
    SS Brake Lines
    99 Front Conversion
    2nd gen Rear Bumper
    99 Combat Wing
    Complete interior LED Swap
    Skillard Fuel channel
    Oohnoo FPR Bracket
    .
    .
    More to Come......

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknownvr4 View Post
    Hey there Rolland, I didnt think you were still around. I believe I have a 3sx pulley and a bolt that im not using that I can sell you. Let me know if you want it.
    LOL - Well I'll be da__ed!! Not many people on here would know my name, here or 3SI for that matter. lol How are you doing Benn? I hope well. ~ Yeah, I'm sorta around. ~ So, does the pulley you have, its STOCK SIZE and it ISN'T an underdrive pulley right? I don't want the underdrive pulley. Aside from that, I'd need to be sure it accommodates both belts (2 pulley wheels on 1 crank pulley setup; whatever you call this????) just like the stock one does. I know the 3SX article says it allows you to continue to use all your accessories, but I only saw a 1 sided picture on their sales page.

    Benn - Remember that time I found a crack in one of your engine bay wires via a digital photo? lol - GOod times.

    As far as "pushing the limits" of the engine... I tend to drive my NA hard, so would this be a problem or do ya'll think without turbos or other crazy upgrades (mostly just stock) that I could never come close enough and long enough to the limits that would cause engine damage?? Do other regular cars have a solid crank pulley or do they all use some form of dampening pulley too?

    DrGonzo has me right... I don't have any near future plans to go "build me a racecar" ... I have too many tickets as it is just driving my van.

  5. #15
    Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    6,490
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    483
    Thanked 543 Times in 390 Posts
    you'll be fine with a solid

  6. #16
    Member Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2008

    Posts
    883
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 34 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProwlerGT View Post
    LOL - Well I'll be da__ed!! Not many people on here would know my name, here or 3SI for that matter. lol How are you doing Benn? I hope well. ~ Yeah, I'm sorta around. ~ So, does the pulley you have, its STOCK SIZE and it ISN'T an underdrive pulley right? I don't want the underdrive pulley. Aside from that, I'd need to be sure it accommodates both belts (2 pulley wheels on 1 crank pulley setup; whatever you call this????) just like the stock one does. I know the 3SX article says it allows you to continue to use all your accessories, but I only saw a 1 sided picture on their sales page.

    Benn - Remember that time I found a crack in one of your engine bay wires via a digital photo? lol - GOod times.

    As far as "pushing the limits" of the engine... I tend to drive my NA hard, so would this be a problem or do ya'll think without turbos or other crazy upgrades (mostly just stock) that I could never come close enough and long enough to the limits that would cause engine damage?? Do other regular cars have a solid crank pulley or do they all use some form of dampening pulley too?

    DrGonzo has me right... I don't have any near future plans to go "build me a racecar" ... I have too many tickets as it is just driving my van.
    its been a while since I was in my garage but im pretty sure it's stock sized with both belts. Yea I remember those days. I now work at a dealership and im a Chrysler and Hyundai technician.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknownvr4 View Post
    its been a while since I was in my garage but im pretty sure it's stock sized with both belts. Yea I remember those days. I now work at a dealership and im a Chrysler and Hyundai technician.
    Congrats on the tech status sir. Long time coming huh?

    Locate that part for me, ensure it handles both belts & is stock size, shoot me a price, and lettme know how soon you can get it to me. Hit me up in private msg. My 3K is up on a jack in the garage till I get this in.

    Last time I trusted people's advice I bought and installed a full Ksport coilover suspension package and I about damn near lost my kidneys. So, I just hope that there is "zero" noticeable vibration from running the solid.

  8. #18
    Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    6,490
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    483
    Thanked 543 Times in 390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProwlerGT View Post
    Congrats on the tech status sir. Long time coming huh?

    Locate that part for me, ensure it handles both belts & is stock size, shoot me a price, and lettme know how soon you can get it to me. Hit me up in private msg. My 3K is up on a jack in the garage till I get this in.

    Last time I trusted people's advice I bought and installed a full Ksport coilover suspension package and I about damn near lost my kidneys. So, I just hope that there is "zero" noticeable vibration from running the solid.
    you won't get vibrations from a solid pulley; you'll get vibrations from running non-rubber engine mounts.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to IPD For This Useful Post:


  10. #19
    Member Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2008

    Posts
    883
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 34 Times in 23 Posts
    I went look at it tonight and it does have both of the belts, but I compared it to my stock one and it is the smaller diameter one. Sorry about that

  11. #20
    i think an n/a will be fine but please be aware that harmonics are what we are talking about and although the power level is a factor, its constant unquelled harmonics that cause hairline fractures in time and also can get bolts to drop out of torque in time. Harmonics build on each other if you hit that rpm where they are a factor and if you keep the motor there, damage is occurring whether you want to believe it or not. I work in the construction industry and i have not seen a single generator NOT have a damper installed and they only hit about 2200 rpms. In fact, they all have them even though they could get some improvement in fuel consumption by leaving it a light metal ring and save money both factors are huge for the industry.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive
Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering