Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 172

Thread: 3SX or other non-OEM Custom Crank Pulley vibrations vs STOCK CRANK PULLEY smooth ???

  1. #31
    Banned J. Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    - O - SIX -

    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    2,711
    Thanks
    405
    Thanked 200 Times in 140 Posts
    Good article... You do realize bearings and oil are secondary absorbers too right? If you take a tuning fork and smack it on a table it will ring. If you take washers composed of a softer metal material and slide them down the ends of the opposing forks and smack the fork again it will ring differently... Repeat test in water, then repeat in oil. Then do it with different weights of oil with different modifiers.

    The secondary destructive order exists, but not in an RPM range anyone I know should have concern for. The way I drive, the power I'm making, and the 60K mileage on a solid pulley says different.

  2. #32
    ohhhh I love it. This reminds me of the early to mid-2000's when the old 3SI was like this. Am I really that old now? lol - Its been a while since I've had a good discussion like this, because rarely people want to skip them and move on to actions without thoughts first.

    J. Fast if you are making 650 HP with 60k miles (which I think is a dream to drive like that everyday) and running the solid I think I'm sold then. As most others have been saying, I should be fine in a "stock NA setup". I was mostly concerned with a lot louder engine/vibration noise and/or bolts coming loose over time.... which would suck... but crankshaft and other engine part damage would sure be a lot worse.

    On a flip note - I can't believe Mitsu (or any car maker) would just literally "glue" (or mold) rubber right onto a metal ring with no other metal fasteners of any kind, given all the power transferring from that pulley? I mean with all that power transferring to the pulleys, it would seem like you'd have a solid or again a rubber molded setup with metal fasteners.... but I'm no machinist or fabricator of metals so I wouldn't know how hard that is to balance or make to begin with.

  3. #33
    Advanced Tech? verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2006

    Posts
    938
    Thanks
    159
    Thanked 139 Times in 87 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProwlerGT View Post
    On a flip note - I can't believe Mitsu (or any car maker) would just literally "glue" (or mold) rubber right onto a metal ring with no other metal fasteners of any kind, given all the power transferring from that pulley? I mean with all that power transferring to the pulleys, it would seem like you'd have a solid or again a rubber molded setup with metal fasteners.... but I'm no machinist or fabricator of metals so I wouldn't know how hard that is to balance or make to begin with.
    torsional dampers work by having the hub and ring twist against each other with a softer material in them. you bolt the inner and outer together, then you lose the ability for the hub and ring to twist.


    Quote Originally Posted by J. Fast View Post
    Some might argue harmonics... mehh. It's balanced and I don't use cheap oil that breaks down and adds weight to rotating parts and throws them out of balance.
    balance - whether it's internal or external - is centrifugal forces (X and Y if you look at the front of the crank). a torsional damper resists crank twist (Z rotation). they're two different things.

    And for the record, bearings are very poor dampers for crank twist. They add friction across all frequencies, so you don't reduce the peaks - you just reduce the mean torque output. To prove it to you, I'll set up a simulation tomorrow for a v6 engine, and compare the torsional response for two oils: 0w20 and SAE 50. The difference may surprise you.
    Last edited by i3igpete; 03-19-2012 at 12:14 AM.
    Maddog Performance Engineering

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to i3igpete For This Useful Post:

    IPD

  5. #34
    Banned J. Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    - O - SIX -

    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    2,711
    Thanks
    405
    Thanked 200 Times in 140 Posts
    I get the Z direction crankwalk torsional node, is the stock pulley the answer for different weights at the crank pins? Could you run the simulation with the stock weights OEM bearings and service manual recc oils, and the change just oil weight? Then run the same simulation with a stroker kit or aftermarket kit with different rods, pistons, bearings, pins, crankshaft, and rod bolts for me Pete? If you need the weights I'm sure we could all work together and get you the info. I believe I have my rod weights, rod bolt weights, and pin weights written down in my liittle black "I did this on this date" book.

  6. #35
    SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2008

    Location
    Prince George
    Posts
    1,295
    Blog Entries
    4
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 49 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MR2 View Post
    why would the mold the stock one off center?
    It's not so much the "mold" being off center (This happens frequently as well though) as it is the natural breakdown of the rubber used. In my case, I will not use a stock harmonic balancer simply because my car sees months of inactivity. With the age of the rubber, and sitting there for so long the I can suspect the outer "ring" to sag over the course of time. Obviously, this is not enough that you're going to see with the naked eye, but it does happen, and it's enough to throw off the whole job it's supposed to be doing.

    I say go solid, they're more durable, easier to remove, lighter, more affordable, and it's not going to throw itself off balance.
    Photobucket

  7. #36
    Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    6,490
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    483
    Thanked 543 Times in 390 Posts
    i've never ONCE heard of a stock damper getting out of round "because it sat". they aren't held together by chewing gum. i'll grant you cheaper, lighter and even more durable. easier to remove? how? and the stocker's durability is measured in years, not months. they should easily withstand ~10 years without difficulty. even then, you just replace it while you're doing a 60k service, no sweat. and the power gains from it being "lighter" are marginal.

    if you're cheap & have n/a levels of power, then solid makes some sense. i wouldn't even call it a "mod" though.

    p.s.
    underdrive? lol. as old as my car is, i want my accessories running full-tilt.

  8. #37
    SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2008

    Location
    Prince George
    Posts
    1,295
    Blog Entries
    4
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 49 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IPD View Post
    i've never ONCE heard of a stock damper getting out of round "because it sat". they aren't held together by chewing gum. i'll grant you cheaper, lighter and even more durable. easier to remove? how? and the stocker's durability is measured in years, not months. they should easily withstand ~10 years without difficulty. even then, you just replace it while you're doing a 60k service, no sweat. and the power gains from it being "lighter" are marginal.

    if you're cheap & have n/a levels of power, then solid makes some sense. i wouldn't even call it a "mod" though.

    p.s.
    underdrive? lol. as old as my car is, i want my accessories running full-tilt.
    To each his own really. Those are all to me, just notable things in the reality of something held together with rubber. I just feel more comfortable knowing that a five pound ring of destruction isn't going to wreak havoc in my engine bay if it separates. Easier to remove as in; Every single time I had to remove the stock piece it was rusted solid to the crank and timing cog, even with a shot of grease between. Not once have I had this problem with the aluminum one.

  9. #38
    Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    6,490
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    483
    Thanked 543 Times in 390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Parker View Post
    To each his own really. Those are all to me, just notable things in the reality of something held together with rubber. I just feel more comfortable knowing that a five pound ring of destruction isn't going to wreak havoc in my engine bay if it separates. Easier to remove as in; Every single time I had to remove the stock piece it was rusted solid to the crank and timing cog, even with a shot of grease between. Not once have I had this problem with the aluminum one.
    i suppose dis-similar metals can make it a bit easier to remove, but tell me, how old were the ones you pulled? separating any pieces of metal after being stuck together for a decade will be difficult. fwiw though, i never had excessive problem pulling mine. (using oohnoo tool).

  10. #39
    SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2008

    Location
    Prince George
    Posts
    1,295
    Blog Entries
    4
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 49 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IPD View Post
    i suppose dis-similar metals can make it a bit easier to remove, but tell me, how old were the ones you pulled? separating any pieces of metal after being stuck together for a decade will be difficult. fwiw though, i never had excessive problem pulling mine. (using oohnoo tool).
    It may just be my climate (It's not really the easiest to live here) but I find a lot of rust on things like that. It's wet, salty, and the temperature fluctuates erratically. Like yesterday, it was +10c and now I look out the window to see -7c and six inches of new snow again. The one I had started using after worrying about the old one separating was only about a year old when I put it on.

  11. #40
    Runs on alcohol. The car does too. Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1999

    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    638
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 49 Times in 35 Posts
    I wouldn't go back to a stock damper if you gave me a new one for free. Been running OEM-size solids for nearly a decade on everything from stock to BPU to my TD05 car.

    AEM s2 EMS | E316Gs | E85

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Intropy For This Useful Post:


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive
Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering