Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 67

Thread: Look at these HEADS! Whoever on 3si sold Trev this car... You sir are an a-hole!

  1. #11
    Member verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2005

    Location
    TN
    Posts
    989
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 150 Times in 101 Posts
    who sold the heads? or if you could tell me what trevor's 3si name is, I can probably find the transaction myself.

  2. #12
    LW fears my posts Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1996, 1st Stealth TT; 2000, current TT

    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    704
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 121 Times in 102 Posts
    Wow... I think he'll probably be ok once he gets the heads rebuilt though. I had a cam gear slip on me once, and it just barely contacted one valve on the front bank. I had happened to do a compression test about a week before, and all my cylinders were 165-168. After my one valve barely made contact (and being the right sized valve as well!) compression dropped to 156 in that cylinder. It doesn't take much.

  3. #13
    Forum User verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since

    Location
    STL, MO
    Posts
    1,144
    Thanks
    190
    Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    If he can't get those fixed... Reach out to me .. I may be willing to part ways with a set that I have. Just pay shipping to help a member out.
    1991 Stealth RT/TT
    Mods- Greddy Type S and a spun bearing.

    [Yesterday 11:43 PM] R/T93 : Im reading hulk comics on Youtube
    [Yesterday 11:45 PM] R/T93 : he has to fight the silver surfer hand to hand...
    OhioSpyderman:why do you have to pee on my wheaties Dave?

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boomer3000 For This Useful Post:


  5. #14
    What it is? Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since

    Posts
    71
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Wow, what a hack job, I've never seen a set of heads slapped together like that. That car must have been running like shit

  6. #15
    I AM IMPORT POWER
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2001

    Location
    Driving Vicki Crazy
    Posts
    1,105
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 270 Times in 125 Posts
    That's sad, but over the years I have seen worse, in cars coming from shops that couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't start and or run after they rebuilt it. Only to find it was all jacked and needed a complete rebuild.

    Keeps shops like us in business, but I would rather be upgrading then spending even more of the customer's money to re rebuild it.

    -Chris

  7. #16
    Banned J. Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    - O - SIX -

    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    2,711
    Thanks
    405
    Thanked 200 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post
    Any idea what the deal is with the rest of the engine? Did this guy work on the block? I'm a bit worried if all the cylinders compression is down that this guy isn't going to get by with a new set of heads. I can't believe somebody would mix valves like that. Tragic!


    It looks like he tried to port the heads with the valves in. lol
    A couple of other things I noticed when I pulled the heads, one of the the (2) main freeze caps located in one of the heads is stripped. The second thing was it looked like the deck height was never checked or something else? You can see bare metal on the crown edges of one of the pistons where it had been colliding with the pad on the head. There's no carbon residual at all. It's bare metal to bare metal. No heavy dimpling in the main portion of the piston just absolute 100% smacking metal to metal around the raised perimeter edges of the piston.

    All bets are off on what the bottm end looks like. There was no metal in the oil pan or oil filter. I'm expecting to find a bent crank, busted wrist pin, or damaged rod on that cylinder when I get into the bottom end later on.

    Going to do some more digging in it later and take more pics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Performance View Post
    That's sad, but over the years I have seen worse, in cars coming from shops that couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't start and or run after they rebuilt it. Only to find it was all jacked and needed a complete rebuild.

    Keeps shops like us in business, but I would rather be upgrading then spending even more of the customer's money to re rebuild it.

    -Chris
    This is why I do my own work. There has to be some way to manage someone advertising a car for sale. Maybe require a pre-purchase inspection to avoid prblems like this. Unfortunately I don't do this for a living, I do it for a hobby. Now it's turning into doing it for a 2nd job .

    Quote Originally Posted by dbest671 View Post
    who sold the heads? or if you could tell me what trevor's 3si name is, I can probably find the transaction myself.
    1997Gtx

  8. #17
    Forum User verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since

    Location
    STL, MO
    Posts
    1,144
    Thanks
    190
    Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    This dude seriously needs a dick smack in the face!!!! I could never knowingly sell a car that ran like shit/had these problems to someone who didnt know.. Wow that takes some kind of person.

  9. #18
    The heads came with the car, I didn't buy just the heads separately. His name is 1997GTX aka Adam Rudolph, but he said he bought the heads second hand he when I bought the car (whether that is true or not, I have no idea). The heads weren't the selling point of the car when I bought it so I just took his word for it, and didn't really feel like digging into it to check if they were in fact DR Stage 3 heads.

    I sent him an email with the pictures attached so we'll see if I get a response. He hasn't logged into 3si in a long time last I checked, so it's unlikely anyone will be able to contact him through there.
    Last edited by Frostedbutts; 03-28-2011 at 06:36 PM.

  10. #19
    One fix at a time verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2004

    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,158
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 57 Times in 49 Posts
    When I bought my car I knew the rear turbo was out. I didn't know and supposedly the previous owner on 3SI didn't know the engine was bad too. I only found out after I bought the car when I was going to swap in two new turbos that the center mains were spun. The engine wasn't knocking when it was running and I don't recall what the oil pressure was because I moved the car literally 20 feet under it's own power since I bought it 1.5 years ago, but the gauge wasn't flashing the warning light. If I hadn't taken things apart to do it right the first time, but instead just swapped in a rear turbo I would have had bad turbos and a bad engine so I'm glad I found it before I started driving around the car. All this time and thousands of dollars later I'm almost finished. It sucks finding things on a car that was completely unexpected.
    95 RT/TT Billet TD04s E70, DW1000cc injectors, ARC-2 with 92mm maf, 3SX fuel rail loop, hotwired Walbro 416/485, 3" FMIC, single small Krank vent, DR 3.5" downpipe and cat-back, DNP 02 housings, Hallman Pro MBC, BlackStealth LCDBC, AEM wideband, AEM oil pressure, Apexi S1 coilovers with SCE EVO 8/9 adapters, 3SX adjustable control arms, Spec 3+ clutch, Maximal solids/3SX poly motor mounts, Setrab custom SMOC, stock motor 127k miles, stock drivetrain.

  11. #20
    Forum User Not Verified

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2004

    Location
    Cape Girardeau
    Posts
    4,791
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 296 Times in 214 Posts
    wow, amazing it ran like that. What did the valves sound like with no guides on some of them?

    Looks like LMI is building heads now.

    Parting 6 speed
    Pampena 3.5 Stroker, GTX 2867 Gen IIs, AEM Series2, oohnoo SMIC, DN Hardpipes, FIC 1650s, Walbro 525, aermotive fpr, Dejon intake pipes, Tial Q, Koyo Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptech 332mm fronts, HKS GT4 Coilovers, Spec 4+ LW, JDM 6 Speed, Billet shift forks, Pampena brace

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive
Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering