Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Remote Oil Filter

  1. #11
    Forum User Not Verified

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2004

    Location
    Cape Girardeau
    Posts
    4,791
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 296 Times in 214 Posts
    did you just holesaw out a spot in the lower splash shield?

    Parting 6 speed
    Pampena 3.5 Stroker, GTX 2867 Gen IIs, AEM Series2, oohnoo SMIC, DN Hardpipes, FIC 1650s, Walbro 525, aermotive fpr, Dejon intake pipes, Tial Q, Koyo Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptech 332mm fronts, HKS GT4 Coilovers, Spec 4+ LW, JDM 6 Speed, Billet shift forks, Pampena brace

  2. #12
    Forum User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1999

    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    364
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
    What I did there is probably not the most ideal setup. I am using a non-crossover block, so I had to do something like this. All it is is a mitsu oil filter housing drilled and tapped for the eye-bolts used on the stock oil cooler. I used the ends of the stock oil cooler hoses and some high-pressure, high-temp fuel line to connect everything. I did just cut a hole in the splash shield for the hose to pass through. I used a rubber grommet to protect it. You will want to use a hard line to route from the block around the belts for obvious reasons. I think I made the bracket to hold it, but the bolt holes are there for the oil cooler, so it wasn't too complicated. I have a front mount oil cooler before the filter. Downside to that is if my oil cooler clogs, my engine dies. I believe the normal housing has a relief valve for such an event. I take care of my oil though, so I'm not too worried.

  3. #13
    1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Owner Since
    Birth

    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,077
    Thanks
    649
    Thanked 451 Times in 347 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7 View Post
    What I did there is probably not the most ideal setup. I am using a non-crossover block, so I had to do something like this. All it is is a mitsu oil filter housing drilled and tapped for the eye-bolts used on the stock oil cooler. I used the ends of the stock oil cooler hoses and some high-pressure, high-temp fuel line to connect everything. I did just cut a hole in the splash shield for the hose to pass through. I used a rubber grommet to protect it. You will want to use a hard line to route from the block around the belts for obvious reasons. I think I made the bracket to hold it, but the bolt holes are there for the oil cooler, so it wasn't too complicated. I have a front mount oil cooler before the filter. Downside to that is if my oil cooler clogs, my engine dies. I believe the normal housing has a relief valve for such an event. I take care of my oil though, so I'm not too worried.
    Yeah you should probably improve the set up some but it seems you are on the right track with it. I see why you wanted the other thread to stay OT.

    Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

  4. #14
    Not A DSM verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    June 2006

    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    395
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I'm surprised nobody posted this yet.

    Canton Remote Filters

    You can get canister style or screw on style. It might be a little pricey but this would be my choice if moving away from anything stock.

  5. #15
    Forum User Not Verified

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2004

    Location
    Cape Girardeau
    Posts
    4,791
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 296 Times in 214 Posts
    doesn't meet most of my requirements

    1. no affordable filters
    2. no locally available filters
    3. do not want canton
    4. do not want non bypass, I'd rather have oil bypass the filter than not have pressure at all

  6. #16
    I was just looking around on Summit and you can buy just the Canton oil filter plate for $65...from there there are a few options on the filter mounts, and of course whatever lines you'd want....I am thinking about $150-200 for a nice set-up if you piece it together yourself.

  7. #17
    Forum User Not Verified

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2004

    Location
    Cape Girardeau
    Posts
    4,791
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 296 Times in 214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drweldin View Post
    I was just looking around on Summit and you can buy just the Canton oil filter plate for $65...from there there are a few options on the filter mounts, and of course whatever lines you'd want....I am thinking about $150-200 for a nice set-up if you piece it together yourself.
    Good info.

    I'm going to try the trans-dapt since it is about 1/4 the price of that.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive
Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering