Unless bearings get worn and need a thicker oil to maintain oil pressure, I still don't think I'd go above a 10w30. As far as the additives he recommends, I'm not sure how I feel about his rankings including them with the non additive oils.
Mobil1 VR1 10w30 ranks pretty highly on the list without any additives at #16, but there is no ranking for it with additives. Most of the oils ahead of it are either more expensive on their own, or have the oil additives (which cost about $20 plus shipping) or both. VR1 at $35 for 6 quarts and ranking that highly without any other additives would seem like a pretty good bang for the buck deal. Most of the other oils ahead of it on the list as well are a 0w30 or a 5w30, which is thinner than OEM recommendations already. Throw in how these cars love to squeeze the oil out and have the crank kiss the bearings, and I wouldn't want to run any thinner than a 10w30.




Reply With Quote






Bookmarks