Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Insane oil leak PLEASE HELLLPPP!!

  1. #1
    Forum User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Owner Since
    2009

    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Insane oil leak PLEASE HELLLPPP!!

    IMG_3459[1].jpgG'day all

    New member and first time poster, In my garage right now I have a 12/91 Twin turbo GTO which I have to fix. I have got it running after it had sat for about 5 years due to a brother (the owner) who didn't look after his car. It had a lifter stick and was making a hell of a knock (have video proof of this) and now that I have solved this issue when i start it and let it run it leaks oil down the transfer case and all over my precious shed floor. This is not acceptable. I will upload some photos from my phone to show.

    Now I have no idea where the leak is coming from. It has to be something pressurized due to the amount of oil that comes out. I considered the fact that it may be a crank oil seal but then I thought even that wouldn't drop this much oil. I even thought maybe a turbo feed line but alas not it either. because of how cramped it is in the engine bay I just cant see where it comes from. I am about to remove the inlet manifold so I can do a full compression test too.

    Turbos on it are pretty average too they are in dire need of an overhaul, Luckily I have 2 spare (roughly) TD04 turbos which I can test with.

    I would truly appreciate any advice given!

    Thank you all!

    From your new mate down under.


    Edit: I will have to get photos later, I have stupidly deleted them!
    Last edited by Brendan; 07-17-2014 at 06:00 AM.

  2. #2
    1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Owner Since
    Birth

    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,077
    Thanks
    649
    Thanked 451 Times in 347 Posts
    It could be a few things but since it's leaking down the transfer case I'd say rear main seal. Put it on a lift or jack stands and track it down.

    Welcome to 3sgto!

    Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

  3. #3
    Member Not Verified
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Owner Since
    2003

    Posts
    2,062
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 272 Times in 206 Posts
    Oil leaks are one of those things where the only way to locate it is to look for it, and keep looking upwards until the wetness stops.

    Also, possible cause may include rear valve cover and rear headgasket.

  4. #4
    There will be Blood! verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1997

    Location
    In Sane!
    Posts
    4,677
    Thanks
    1,081
    Thanked 449 Times in 331 Posts
    I vote rear valve cover as well. Possibles to add is the rear feed/return oil line for the turbo.

    Help them, for they know not that which they do not know!
    CoopKill's Mistress Makeover Thread!
    "Punk, Nutswinging, Small Time, Asshat, Monkey, Jerkoff, Loser that rides on other peoples accomplishments!" . .

  5. #5
    1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Owner Since
    Birth

    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,077
    Thanks
    649
    Thanked 451 Times in 347 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CoopKill View Post
    I vote rear valve cover as well. Possibles to add is the rear feed/return oil line for the turbo.
    or somebody left the rear drain plug in the turbo lol

    I think the rear drain is a little to far on the drivers side to leak on the TC.

  6. #6
    Forum User verified

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1

    Posts
    1,292
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I've had many leaks in this area over the years. It could be one thing or just a combination of others.

    Engine:
    rear main seal
    valve cover gaskets
    cam end caps seals
    turbo return line pan side or turbo side (Although this generally just leaks straight down to the pan)

    Transmission:
    inputshaft bearing seal
    output shaft seal

    You say it's gushing? Are we talking like floor covering/turn the engine off quick or can you leave it running with an oil pan to catch it?

  7. #7
    There will be Blood! verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1997

    Location
    In Sane!
    Posts
    4,677
    Thanks
    1,081
    Thanked 449 Times in 331 Posts
    Umm, I have words, but will abstain!

  8. #8
    Forum User verified

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1

    Posts
    1,292
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    LOL, I was thinking about going there but I already gave you too much shit

  9. #9
    JNS Engineering verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1994

    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,112
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 155 Times in 110 Posts
    There's nowhere Paul won't go

  10. #10
    1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Owner Since
    Birth

    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,077
    Thanks
    649
    Thanked 451 Times in 347 Posts

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive
Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering