Ross 9:1 piston, H beam rods with arp bolts, *Forged crank,*Ported head with brian crower 1mm over intake and exhaust valves,*Brian crower valve springs,Oem headgaskets,*Arp headstuds*,T3 hybrid turbos with .63ar,*Tial leaded fuel wastegates with 1bar springs,*Cx racing fmic*,Arc2 in blowthru,*950cc delphis on e85,Jackhammer fuel hanger holding 2 walbros 255 hotwired ,Fuel lab fpr,*Aeromotive fuel filter*Entire fuel system done in ptfe braided black lines,*Beefed up oil cooler,*Gates racing belt*,Ninja performance soild tension setup*,3sx single pass radiator*,Tial q blowoff*,Scanmaster*,Aem twin fire*,3sx fuel rails* battery relocated to trunk, blitz dsbc, aem wideband, autometer oil pressure gauge,And so on....
I ran king bimetal bearings....so did max, road course use. I think Wayne may have used them also in his 600+hp single turbo car. You are really over thinking what is going on here mershad. If everything else is happy you can have soda cans for bearings and the engine won't lunch itself, remember, in normal operation the crank never makes actual contact with the bearing while running.
The oil is just a lubricant for wear resistance and does a little cushion but the bearings have to still be able to take the load. There is a reason they make trimetal bearings with stronger back plates.
The link I embedded on post #70 has this discussion for question #3. This is a discussion from MAHLE, King Engine Bearings, and Federal-Mogul. Worth a read since it addresses some questions being raised here...
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Cont...0000032275.pdf
This was the first paragraph in the 20 page discussion in the subject matter and is worth a read if you have 30mins to burn... There's lots of good bits in there.Originally Posted by KOPELIOVICH (King Engine Bearings):
In the previous question #2 the TT gas engine was raised and it was tied to having a bearing fit for a Diesel application. Lot's of information about why bearings fail, how they are mfr'd, selected, and expectations were discussed in the post 70 link. The underlined above is pretty much the consensus of all MFR's. From what I gathered the primary reason for the Bi-metal aluminum is embedability and longevity, not power, although there are new composites being tested and developed of bi-metal bearings that have higher compression strength than traditional bearings. When you get shit in your oil the bi-metal bearings take up some of the oil debris. The tri-metal are so strong they don't embed and you lose oil film clearance and create hot spots.
Anyway, never the less, the fact is, the bearings used in Mike's engine were not performance bearings.
And he had no idea how to tune/use an AEM, and was dicking around with it multiple times.

I think all we are trying to say here is it everything else was right the engine would have lived with those bearings. I don't think they are a smoking gun.
Parting 6 speed
Pampena 3.5 Stroker, GTX 2867 Gen IIs, AEM Series2, oohnoo SMIC, DN Hardpipes, FIC 1650s, Walbro 525, aermotive fpr, Dejon intake pipes, Tial Q, Koyo Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptech 332mm fronts, HKS GT4 Coilovers, Spec 4+ LW, JDM 6 Speed, Billet shift forks, Pampena brace
I just think everyone should quit being so matter-of-fact with their opinions of the cause. Seems pretty obvious to me that we're all here trying to learn from the failure.
Are oem bearings bi or tri? Clevites? I've used oem (91-92) and std clevites in my engine making at least as much power as sin and inspected them regularly. I've seen scuffing and shit, but nothing awful. The quickest damage I've ever seen occurred when the oil became contaminated with fuel.
|
3000gt.com 3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop |
|
Team 3S 3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information daveblack.net |
|
Michigan 3S MInnesota 3S Wisconsin 3S Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S |
North California 3000GT/Stealth United Society of 3S Owners 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums 3000GT/Stealth International |
|
3S National Gathering East Coast Gathering Upper Mid-West Gathering Blue Ridge Gathering |
Bookmarks