Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 172

Thread: 3SX or other non-OEM Custom Crank Pulley vibrations vs STOCK CRANK PULLEY smooth ???

  1. #111
    Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    6,490
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    483
    Thanked 543 Times in 390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTyla View Post
    Pretty much. Being more educated in vibration analyses has made me paranoid.

    OEM pulleys sitting on a shelf should not be of any worry. Stored properly, a 10+ year-old pulley with the rubber ring would be just as good as one made within the last year.
    agreed. just know that "stored properly" would mean inside an airtight bag (or close to it) with a thin amount of lubricating oil as a preserver.

  2. #112
    Relax, it's just rocket science!
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Nov 2001

    Location
    Ozark, AL
    Posts
    1,211
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked 122 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProwlerGT View Post
    Frankly BigTyla... I'm surprised you got rid of yours. I guess expense finally caught up with ya.
    Not expenses. Three things:

    1) The wife.
    2) I was living in an apartment and working on my Master's degree, leaving me no tinker time.
    3) I had a 350Z to fill the void.

    Can't argue with my decision looking back. I do wish I would have been able to keep it though, especially after what the guy I sold it to did to it.

  3. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTyla View Post
    Not expenses. Three things:

    1) The wife.
    2) I was living in an apartment and working on my Master's degree, leaving me no tinker time.
    3) I had a 350Z to fill the void.

    Can't argue with my decision looking back. I do wish I would have been able to keep it though, especially after what the guy I sold it to did to it.
    Those are pretty damn good reasons. OUCH on the "I know what the next guy did to it". I don't think I'd want to know what someone did to my car after selling it, especially with all the labor of love and sentimental value it (mine or yours) has/had.

  4. #114
    Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    6,490
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    483
    Thanked 543 Times in 390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProwlerGT View Post
    Those are pretty damn good reasons. OUCH on the "I know what the next guy did to it". I don't think I'd want to know what someone did to my car after selling it, especially with all the labor of love and sentimental value it (mine or yours) has/had.
    car's worth more to me on cinderblocks in my backyard than it would be 100% running and sold so some random dude.

  5. #115
    Lord of Boost Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2006

    Posts
    76
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I hope the people in this thread that justify using a solid crank pulley by saying... "the engines are balanced from the factory" take or read an engine vibrations book. The crank pulley is there to damp TORSIONAL vibrations in the crankshaft... IE the twisting back and forth caused by compression and combustion events. You tune the rubber thickness and material so that you can damp the natural torsional vibration frequency. In most 6 cylinder crankshafts its in the 1800-2500 RPM range. The exact range that most of our engines spend their time operating in... UH OH. But remember... any deviation from the natural torsional frequency is good... less amplitude... less stress. Only bad part is... none of us actually know the exact RPM location of the natural torsional frequency. A permanent marker and a strobe light and a good shaker rig would tell us. The vibrations at high RPM are of little to no consequence. If anyone has seen a frequency response curve of any dynamic system, they will know what I'm talking about.

    I'll see if I can call in a favor in my spare time and have one of our crank dampers tested to see the rpm that they are calibrated for.

    PS... I know these tid bits of knowledge because... I used to work in an engineering office that designed crankshaft dampers. Rubber and Viscous dampers.

    Forged crankshafts of today are not as sensitive to the cast iron cranks of the past. However, I bet if you shot a crank with a Cobalt 60 source to do an "X ray" of the crankshaft then you would see some micro cracking on cranks that don't use the stock damper.


    Just some food for thought fellas! The world of Vibrations is a bitch and a half sometimes.
    Last edited by VR4Drive92; 05-15-2012 at 05:18 PM.

  6. #116
    Relax, it's just rocket science!
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Nov 2001

    Location
    Ozark, AL
    Posts
    1,211
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked 122 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VR4Drive92 View Post
    I hope the people in this thread that justify using a solid crank pulley by saying... "the engines are balanced from the factory" take or read an engine vibrations book. The crank pulley is there to damp TORSIONAL vibrations in the crankshaft... IE the twisting back and forth caused by compression and combustion events. You tune the rubber thickness and material so that you can damp the natural torsional vibration frequency. In most 6 cylinder crankshafts its in the 1800-2500 RPM range. The exact range that most of our engines spend their time operating in... UH OH. But remember... any deviation from the natural torsional frequency is good... less amplitude... less stress. Only bad part is... none of us actually know the exact RPM location of the natural torsional frequency. A permanent marker and a strobe light and a good shaker rig would tell us. The vibrations at high RPM are of little to no consequence. If anyone has seen a frequency response curve of any dynamic system, they will know what I'm talking about.

    I'll see if I can call in a favor in my spare time and have one of our crank dampers tested to see the rpm that they are calibrated for.

    PS... I know these tid bits of knowledge because... I used to work in an engineering office that designed crankshaft dampers. Rubber and Viscous dampers.

    Forged crankshafts of today are not as sensitive to the cast iron cranks of the past. However, I bet if you shot a crank with a Cobalt 60 source to do an "X ray" of the crankshaft then you would see some micro cracking on cranks that don't use the stock damper.


    Just some food for thought fellas! The world of Vibrations is a bitch and a half sometimes.
    There's no doubt of the function of a damped pulley vs an undamped one. The balancing comments were from concerns of the decreased mass of the pulley independent of vibrational considerations.

  7. #117
    Lord of Boost Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2006

    Posts
    76
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTyla View Post
    There's no doubt of the function of a damped pulley vs an undamped one. The balancing comments were from concerns of the decreased mass of the pulley independent of vibrational considerations.
    But yes! There in lies the issue at hand. Swapping to a light weight flywheel and or light weight pistons changes your engines natural frequencies. A stock damper wasn't ever designed to deal with that. The lighter the stuff the higher the natural frequency RPM becomes. It shifts up.

    It's the big catch 22. Which is where the love of fluid viscous dampers comes from. They can damp a broader range but the damp less than a rubber one. The rubber is tuned to a very small range but has exceedingly good damping characteristics!

  8. #118
    Relax, it's just rocket science!
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Nov 2001

    Location
    Ozark, AL
    Posts
    1,211
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked 122 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VR4Drive92 View Post
    But yes! There in lies the issue at hand. Swapping to a light weight flywheel and or light weight pistons changes your engines natural frequencies. A stock damper wasn't ever designed to deal with that. The lighter the stuff the higher the natural frequency RPM becomes. It shifts up.

    It's the big catch 22. Which is where the love of fluid viscous dampers comes from. They can damp a broader range but the damp less than a rubber one. The rubber is tuned to a very small range but has exceedingly good damping characteristics!
    This is certainly true. Nevertheless, the rotating assembly is still internally balanced.

    You're preaching to the choir here.

  9. #119
    Lord of Boost Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2006

    Posts
    76
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTyla View Post
    This is certainly true. Nevertheless, the rotating assembly is still internally balanced.

    You're preaching to the choir here.

    It is balanced but remember... the balance of the motor has nothing to do with the torsion vibrations. They are created from the combustion events. Every engine has torsional vibrations. They can't be smoothed or balanced... merely damped.

  10. #120
    Relax, it's just rocket science!
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Nov 2001

    Location
    Ozark, AL
    Posts
    1,211
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked 122 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VR4Drive92 View Post
    It is balanced but remember... the balance of the motor has nothing to do with the torsion vibrations. They are created from the combustion events. Every engine has torsional vibrations. They can't be smoothed or balanced... merely damped.
    Again, preaching to the choir.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive
Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering