PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Dust boots for 3SX adjustable control arms

Jimvr4
01-31-2012, 12:46 PM
I was having some issues with rubbing on the passenger rear so I bought the 3SX adjustable rear control arms. These have an exposed heim joint and I ended up buying some boots from Seals-It on Ebay. The size I ordered was RERS-3 and you get 6 boots. This shot shows one of the control arms as shipped where the sleeve is secured with a tie wrap. The second one is disassembled with a boot already pulled over the eye of the heim joint. It's pretty tough to stretch it on there. Not shown are the two boots I tore open in the process.

I used Seals-It but another choice is Kartek Off Road - Heim Joints & Rod Ends (http://www.kartek.com/Product/Fabrication/Heims.html) The boots are at the bottom of their page.

http://jns.jimnshar.com/2e300a80.jpg

The second shot shows the two completed control arms with boots installed. Here you can see the boots have to be stretched really far to go over the sleeve. I used the end of a coathanger with a 45 degree bend as a tool to pull the boot over the sleeve and also to stretch them open so I could squirt lithium grease inside the boot after installation. With these control arms adjusted to the shortest length I am able to run about 2.5 degrees of negative camber to keep the tires from rubbing the wheel arch.

http://jns.jimnshar.com/2e500a80.jpg

j2k4
02-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Huh.

I have yet to install my Maximal control arms, but I believe I ordered the RERS-4 boots.

I'm gonna have to take another look, but it's good to have another option for the boots - thanks, Jim. :)

DrGonzo
02-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Yeah Thanks Jim! I have to order some as I need them for my Control arms and Toe arms. So the 6 quantity is perfect.

Jimvr4
02-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Huh.

I have yet to install my Maximal control arms, but I believe I ordered the RERS-4 boots.

I'm gonna have to take another look, but it's good to have another option for the boots - thanks, Jim. :)

Yeah Thanks Jim! I have to order some as I need them for my Control arms and Toe arms. So the 6 quantity is perfect.

You're welcome :)

6 is perfect as long as you only need 4 :lo5l:

slage
02-01-2012, 01:23 PM
this is an awesome idea! my control arms are way too squeaky

Rakuny
02-02-2012, 07:41 AM
they look kind of tight.. do they make the movement of the bearing more difficult?

j2k4
02-02-2012, 08:16 AM
they look kind of tight.. do they make the movement of the bearing more difficult?

I wouldn't think so, but it would probably pay to occasionally hose the boots down with silicone spray.

Jimvr4
02-02-2012, 11:00 AM

The part that covers the actual heim joint is kind of baggy, not tight at all. Plenty of room in there to hold the grease.

DrGonzo
02-02-2012, 11:12 AM
6 is perfect as long as you only need 4 :lo5l:

Why did you tear two of them trying to get them on....LOL

j2k4
02-02-2012, 11:37 AM

I still have all six of mine...:)

Jimvr4
02-02-2012, 04:36 PM

The hard part is getting the eye of the heim joint through one of the side openings. You'll see what I mean when you try it :)