Thread: Engine stalls after warming up

Engine stalls after warming up

Hey guys, been awhile!

I haven't had much time lately with starting a new job, but I haven't been able to drive my 3000 for awhile now. Here's the problem, and a recent history.

The car sits a lot, I have a had a DD now since March of 2009. In the summer of 09 I did a 60k tune-up which came out fine, no problems. I have maybe put 200 miles on the car since the tuneup. A couple of months ago I went to start the car and the battery was dead, so I jumped it and let it run for awhile. The battery did not hold a charge, so I got a new one. Afterwards no problems.

However after the engine warmed up and I was driving around town, the engine would stall on me. The engine would stall when coming to a stop (pressing down on the clutch). The rps would go down to 750 and then start bouncing between about 250-750, and eventually the engine would shut off (this happens in about a 2-3 second interval). This only occurs after the engine is warmed up, not cold.

Now the motor has about 127,000 miles on it, alternator is about 3 years old with 8,000 miles give or take, battery was brand new at the time, starter has maybe 100 miles on it. I have yet to do the plugs and wires (which is next on the list, when I catch back up with the bills, another reason I don't drive the car really ever).

I started it up to move and wash it the other day, and it gave me a little trouble on start up, to which I guessed was the battery not being very active. But also the engine was very rough and there was a pretty noticeable ticking/knocking, which could be the gasoline which is pretty old.

I'm not really sure what the problem could be and don't want to start picking random parts and spending a ton of money, as I now have to have the car painted due to an incident with a chipmunk and my dogs with the front bumper, fenders, license plate and hood . on top of which i need to register and have it inspected at a private facility (no cat).

The car needs a bit of work, and I want to start with the engine (hopefully do it myself to save a few $). So if anyone has some ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

I had a few places to start, but not sure: Plugs/wires (bought the car used at 97k, so I don't know if they were ever replaced), Alternator is shot again, Fuse, Battery is bad. I'm leaning towards electrical for the stalling. The ticking and knocking I think might just be old gas and a cold engine.

Thanks again!!!

Thermal Engineer- Mmbr Since:8/2005 verified
    Owner Since
    6/2005

Thanks
    I would recommend new plugs, wires and fresh gasoline.

Try that and let us know what you find.

'92 3000GT Base ATX converted to MTX - Parted Out
    '91 Stealth ES MTX - Fastest NA FWD at NG11 Drags - SOLD
    '91 Stealth RT/TT Check out my blog
    '10 Jetta TDI MTX - 6 speed: 50MPG Highway
    Rest In Peace, My Brother SGT. R. Evans Taylor: Apr 23 '83 - Oct 14 '11

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex3000gt For This Useful Post:

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    could be IAC. usually IAC isn't a problem when it's cold because the throttle body kicks the RPM's up for cold-starts.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to IPD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Alex3000gt View Post
    I would recommend new plugs, wires and fresh gasoline.

Try that and let us know what you find.
    Quote Originally Posted by IPD View Post
    could be IAC. usually IAC isn't a problem when it's cold because the throttle body kicks the RPM's up for cold-starts.
    Thanks guys! But an unfortunate update is the battery is completely dead after driving 1 mile on Saturday. Registered it after my primary car had to go to the shop. Tried to start it up Sunday morning, and nothing.If the car wasn't in such bad shape I would probably just cut my losses and sell it. But I doubt I would even be able to get anything worth while. Looks like I might just lock it away for a few years until I have money to dump in it.