Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How in the sh!t could this happen to my driveline?

LW fears my posts Not Verified
    Owner Since
    1996, 1st Stealth TT; 2000, current TT

Thanks
    Just spray it liberally on the output shaft (wipe up the excess) and spray some down onto the spool. Any extra will get squeezed out. Ideally, you're supposed to apply chain lube/wax to a hot chain. So you might want to drive around the block or something with the downpipe disconnected, then come back and remove the TC to spray the stuff. I've never gone to that length though. I forget the exact name of the stuff I use, I switched to Chain Wax for my motorcycle as it's a lot cleaner, I think I used to use PJ1.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Thank you for the info. I wonder if it has a high enough viscosity to stay on. How long have you used it and had good splines up until? That's the money maker right there
    60% of the time, my car works every time.

I love threads like this, they make me feel good about owning an NA 3000gt. Sorry about your luck, hopefully a new shaft with lube works out.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Well, the PJ1 stuff, once it sets up, is very sticky. It has to be, otherwise a revolving chain would sling it off. For the output shaft, it is directly contacting the spool spines at all times, so it shouldn't be able to fling off at all. I've used chain lube since... 2003? Last I looked at mine I had little to no rust. When I first bought the car, it did have rust on it, but not that bad, because I live in TX and we get dry heat, and don't worry about snow. I don't drive my car that much either, it's a 91 with 92k miles, I've probably put about 35-40k on it using chain lube.

So, for me, it's done it's job of halting excessive rust. I also have a 300M OS to put in the car someday, I will use chain lube on that too.

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I used anti-seize the second time my tcase was off, the first time I used regular grease and it was pretty much all squished out of the splines. The motorcycle chain lube sounds great too!
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Thanks a bunch for the info UT. I will check that stuff out and if it feels good enough to me I will more than likely end up going with it. You make a good point about it being in constant contact w/the input spool...my bad, should have thought about that.

Psycho...ps, I hate you and your few problems :P

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
    I used anti-seize the second time my tcase was off, the first time I used regular grease and it was pretty much all squished out of the splines. The motorcycle chain lube sounds great too!
    That's what I was thinking initially is the anti-seize. Have you pulled it since you put that on there? I'm beginning to think the chain lube is a great idea because it is thinner than both the anti-seize and other grease you used so there's less chance of it smushing out...smushing is a technical term if you're wondering :P

Owner Since

Thanks
    No problem

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MADMarc View Post
    That's what I was thinking initially is the anti-seize. Have you pulled it since you put that on there? I'm beginning to think the chain lube is a great idea because it is thinner than both the anti-seize and other grease you used so there's less chance of it smushing out...smushing is a technical term if you're wondering :P
    I hadn't taken it off after that before I traded it in, so I don't know, sorry. There was definitely lots of smushing with the anti-seize though, haha.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    smushing, squishing...it's all about the technical terms Thanks for the info.