Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Noise

Stupid Noise

Hey guys, I got some rattly noise coming from around the alternator. I did the whole screwdriver to the ear trick and it is consistently as noisy at the alt, the alt brackets and the motor mount. Cant see anything interfering with anything with it either. Made a vid of it.

Also put a volt meter on the bat checking the alt. Its reading 13.7 when the car is on and lights, fan and such are off. But put it under load and its 13.1.

Its the 110amp alt too.

Here for the party Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    A/C clutch?

SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Pop your serpentine belt off and see if there's any play in the alternators shaft, the bearings may have worn, or are going to. Also, give all the brackets a synch down. When you take your serpentine belt off give all the pulleys a spin to make sure they aren't making any unusual noises.

It sort of sounds like one of the belts have a strand hanging off of it and is whipping something, perhaps the small tin timing belt guard.
    Photobucket

I do that. I forgot to add, I bought the alt about a year ago. Forget if it was new or remaned but it only has about 10k miles on it. Belts too, their Gatorbacks also, if that helps any.

And the noise will sometimes be sort of on and off like it is in most the video, but other times itll be nonstop. This happened suddenly too, I drove the car last weekend, and it was just fine but now its all noisy.
    Last edited by GreedyTurbo529; 05-27-2011 at 11:40 PM.

SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Is your A/C fan running by chance?

sometimes, I had an assistant turning it on and off, it didnt change anything.

SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hmm, I'll post the vid on FB and see if I get any hits on what it may be.

Thanks man. Ive had the car running for a few mins, got the wheel and covers off so I can look at the belts. Its running fine, no noise right now. And the alt is charging at 14.2 under load it drops and returns to 14.2 as apposed to last night where is was 13.7 and 13.1

Bout to go test drive it in a few.

Pulled off the belt, the A/C pulley is loose, I can just barely giggle it. And when I spin it Im pretty sure I can hear a noise when spinning it too. It may be what Im looking for. With two guess on the A/C, seems likely. So with the belt off, I turned the car on. and noticed that the whole motor is shaking more than it should, in the same general pattern the noise . My motor mounts are on their way out. Got some solid ones in the closet, Ill put the two sides on. Looks like we got a combo problem going on.

Also forgot to add that when its making the noise, it does get faster when I hit the throttle.

I scratched that stupid part out.
    Last edited by GreedyTurbo529; 05-28-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Didnt have time to pull the A/C off today. I was thinking of just going to AutoZone and buying the assembly. If it fixes it yay, If not, Ill send it back for a refund. thoughts?