Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: I <3 Apple

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    i completely agree. buying an apple is like buying a g37. looks good; but you could have had a mustang gt for less.

(yes, i know it's not a direct analogy. then again, if you're buying your pc for looks...god help you).

YOUUSSS TRROOOLLLIN supporter
    Owner Since
    8/2008

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthify View Post
    I, personally, think your view is a bit shallow on this and I'll tell you why.

Performance
    For your average consumer-grade machine, there is no question that Apple has done its part to keep up with the Joneses. Looking at most PC's on the market right now, it appears the Intel Core i5 and i7 are two of the most commonly used processors being used in today's laptops. PC's have them, and even the base model Macbook Pros have them. It has become the current stadnard. With that said, the following statements are blatantly false:

(the Intel Core 2 Duo was the standard before that)

As far as the price goes, $1199 is the price point of the Intel Core i5 13in MacBook Pros. From there, don't forget that there ARE retailers that sell Apple products below Apple's suggested retail price (MacMall, B&H, etc). Not to mention, its extremely easy to get the Education discount, which would cut off another cool 10%. Regardless, compared to the comparison link above, I'll give it to you that the average amount EXTRA you'll be paying is about $200 for these particular laptops. But now let's talk about what you get for that extra $200, shall we?

Build Quality
    Call me crazy, but I'll take an aluminum unibody laptop over your run of the mill plastic any day.

Furthermore, let's talk about those 'horiffic' [SIC] build quality issues for a second.

Jaundiced screens. To put it in perspective, who did it effect? A small number of iMac owners in 2009. Did Apple address it? Yes. Did the problem exist after that? No.

iPhone design flaw. I assume that you must be talking about 'Antennagate'? Yeah, I watched the great exaggerated coverage on that. If you followed up on it you would have found this had more to do with how the iPhone displayed signal bars, as opposed to an actual hardware flaw. Here, even PC World will educate you on how that all went down. And more:
    Antenna Expert: Apple is Right, iPhone 4 Signal Woes Overblown - PCWorld

Overheating issues... this one I haven't heard as much about. You know, compared to (say) Microsoft's Xbox 360 overheating issues, etc. But that's neither here nor there, since Microsoft is a software company while Apple is a software AND hardware company. Regardless, for every one case of an overheating Mac you might hear about, I can likely find 10 about PC laptops doing the same. This argument is silly.

As far as the software goes, it's convenient that you glossed over the decade of BSoD and other issues PC's have been faced with over the years. While I know this isn't as big of an issue as it used to be - you have to admit, this was one ANNOYING ass flaw in the world of PC's.

iPhone vs Android, on the other hand, is a whole different matter. Let's talk about Android fragmentation. Let's talk about the 21 rogue app malware scare on Android just last month. The list goes on. However, for the most part, this shouldn't be a deal-breaker on EITHER phone - as no software is bulletproof. To say otherwise is a joke.

I guess you haven't been looking in the right places. Or maybe (because it wouldn't help your apparent extreme hatred for all things Apple) you might not have really been looking at all. But here's just a few reasons:
    1. The beginning: where were Android phones in 2007 when the iPhone first came out?
    2. Larger market-share (expectingly even more so now that it's available on Verizon as well).
    3. Significantly larger App selection.
    4. More rigorous application acceptance policy, filtering out poorly programmed apps with fatal flaws or malicious intentions.
    5. It could be argued that it's easier to use.
    6. Excellent integration with other Apple products.
    7. and arguably more aesthetically pleasing (subjective), and more on this to follow.

Lastly, to wrap up on build quality, and going back to this:

And that's all they are, man. Stories. I can tell you a story about how I bought a PC this one time and it crapped out on me in less than a month. We all have "stories." On that note, I can also tell you that all of my stories about Mac products since 1991 have been good ones, and that's why I'm taking the time to write this.

Aesthetic Superiority

I suppose this is a matter of opinion, but this somewhat ties into the build quality argument above. Precision cut aluminum unibody, backlit keys, flawless edges, modern angles, etc. Most people would be hard pressed to look at a Mac product and say: "That's ugly!" While this wasn't always the case, I do have to give Apple credit for upping their game and being innovative with their designs over the last thirteen years or so.

It's good to see you give Apple winning points here, but it's sad that you're so quick to take them away based on your evaluation that design is ALL Apple cares about. On what I've written already, this is clearly not the case.

This takes me back to the argument from earlier. For every one 'story' you've heard of an Apple laptop overheating, I can find 10 stories about PC laptops overheating. Regardless, I wouldn't recommend a Macbook Air to anyone looking to do some major gaming - for that, PC's clearly still hold the championship belt. Kind of (see Flexibility below).

Less Depreciation
    This has been covered in my earlier post. To elaborate further, the fact that Apple has become such a 'name brand'/trend definitely helps. Given that Apple doesn't do a major form factor change, selling a 2 year old Apple computer for 3/4 what the CURRENT model retails for new is not difficult.

Flexibility
    Once you're done PMSLing, consider this: I can run Windows on my Apple computer... natively. Crazy, right? It's called Bootcamp, and it completely nullifies your entire argument. Not only can I run my Mac programs that may or may not have an existing equivalent for Windows, I can also run ALL of your guys' goodies as well (including games). There's value and flexibility for you. To make this easy, this could be where I'd justify the extra $200 cost alone.

Anyway, I truly do see the benefit to both platforms. But your arguments are laughable, dated, exaggerated and so obviously bias that if I didn't know any better, I'd guess the last time you actually explored a Mac was probably in the mid-90's when our schools had them. They've come a long way since then my friend, and to let the concept of Apple zombie fanboyism cloud your perception of their products is as unfortunate as it is ridiculous. You're only limiting yourself.

TL; DR

You're only limiting yourself.
    ZOMBOCOM
    THE ONLY LIMIT IS YOURSELF.
    (USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

-jeff

1992 SVX LS-L
    1996 3000GT FWD-TT
    2005 XC90 T6 AWD

i collect parts.

6g74 block : 6g74 crankshaft (for sale!) : 6g75 crankshaft : 6g74/75 forged H-beam rods : 6g75 MIVEC heads : 2x 20G TD05 turbos

DrWeldin Wastegate upgrades : DrWeldin brushed sparkplug cover : Pampena solid rear diff bushings : STM brainded stainless clutch line : GZP remote clutch bleeder : Maximal Performance? T-case bracket : Seattle91VR4 poly motor mounts : front solid motor sound : 98SL ECU w/ Chrome & BlackStealth adapter harness : 3SX O2 simulators : TLE Groundwire kit

Krank Vents (original) : 3.0" GM MAF : 3.75" GM MAF w/ adapter harness : MAFT 1.x : NinjaPerformance remote IAC block : BlackStealth LCD Boost Controller : NinjaPerformance Boost Controller : Dejon split y-pipe : Dejon pre-turbo intake pipes w/ K&N filters : K&N FIPK kit : DSM SMICs : Tim/*GT Custom TD05 SMICs BIGGER THAN YOURS : random tech high-flow cat : M2 exhaust

Jackhammer Dual pump fuel hangar : 2x Aeromotive Stealth 340 fuel pumps : SX -10AN fuel filter : 450cc DSM blacktop injectors : 880cc delphi injectors : Stealthlabel injector quick disconnect clips : custom stainless steel breaded PTFE dual feed fuel setup : Fuelab FPR : Skillard underbody fuel channel

96 Stealth spoiler (original) : 2x Cianci 52mm DS B-pillar gauge pods w/ 1x matching PS blank B-pillar (different manufacturers) : Billet grill : random eBay? strut bar

3SWiki.org
    Owner Since
    10+ Years

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch View Post
    TL; DR

ZOMBOCOM
    THE ONLY LIMIT IS YOURSELF.
    It's cool, I'm calm now.