Thread: HELP!! Broke long subframe mount bolt while removing Lower control arms

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

HELP!! Broke long subframe mount bolt while removing Lower control arms

Found all my front lower control arm bushings are bad so I decided to replace them. Driver side was no problem. Passenger side, however, was a different story.

I broke the long bolt that goes through the bushing bracket on the rear and up into the body. I can only assume that this is a subframe mount.

Any thoughts on getting that sucker out of there? I'm not even sure how to get to it. I'm wondering if I'll have to pull the engine and drop the subframe

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    You probably will have to drop the subframe to get at it at all. You may not have to pull the engine though, but you will definitely want to support it well. I think you can leave 3 of the 4 motor mounts in place, so it will be decently supported, but your probably want the rear supported somehow just to be safe. Unless you were planning on taking the engine out anyway, in which case, it will make things easier.

Forum User supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gs1000kat View Post
    Found all my front lower control arm bushings are bad so I decided to replace them. Driver side was no problem. Passenger side, however, was a different story.

I broke the long bolt that goes through the bushing bracket on the rear and up into the body. I can only assume that this is a subframe mount.

Any thoughts on getting that sucker out of there? I'm not even sure how to get to it. I'm wondering if I'll have to pull the engine and drop the subframe
    Glad to see im not the only one that did this. I tried an extractor and that was a full fail. now there is a broken extractor in it. So i was faced with two options. 1) remove the sub frame drill out the bung and weld in a new one or 2) pull back the passenger side carpet open the floor pan and cut it out from there. from that point you can use a nut and washer set up or weld in a new one. I went with option B since i just finished putting the engine in and all together.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    the bolt is probably rusted in and breaking a extractor is a possibility so just drill it out and retap it. drill it out in steps. a broken drill can be removed with a broken drill extractor that had legs that fit the drill flutes if necessary. i broke a drill in a turbo and had to use a elox machine to burn the drill out.. good luck

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    From what I can tell, it isn't actually a subframe mount. The subframe mount is a little further in, however, the bolt that broke goes through the rear bushing bracket, and into the body. I got a better look at it and it isn't as deep into as I initialy had thought.

I've been soaking with PB Blaster for the last 3 days. Hoping tonight will be the night I get the chance to actually work at getting it out.

And to top it all off, I just picked up the control arms from the shop that I had pressing them in and they completely jacked them up.

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    gs1000kat,
    Hope you resolved this.
    I was wondering if you knew the part numbers for the LCA bushings. I am looking to replace all of mine as well in the next few weeks.

The one. The only. verified
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Do you have a 1g Fletch? I have the LCA's for a 1g that are brand new and never been installed. I was given an incorrect part number when I replaced mine. They are in a bin with all my other parts. I paid over $100. If they'll work for you I'll do 90 shipped.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I have a 2g.... That would have been a hell of a deal!

Looking for new ones. Who did you get yours through? Did a google search on
    Last edited by Fletch; 03-19-2011 at 08:40 PM.

The one. The only. verified
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Ahh shit. Oh well.