Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving a VR4

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

Saving a VR4

So it has been approximately 4.5 years since I sold my 1st and only 3/S. I owned a mint condition 95 VR4 for about 4 years and went through a lot with it. Ran everything from a 9b/13G combo to an adapter plate (remember those days? Lol) E16G setup. Anyway long story short I sold it to a kid in Virginia who from what I can tell blew the trans within 3 or 4 months and parted it out…

I can honestly say that I have missed that car every day since I sold it and I always planned on getting another one at some point. Now is that time… Late last year I bought a good condition rust free 93 VR4 rolling chassis saving it from the crusher and I’ve had it just sitting in the garage since. The plan is to restore the car over some time. For now I just want to do the proper maintenance to get the car running and setup a nice base of supporting mods for the future. This is never going to be a high HP monster, those days are long gone for me. I just want to build a clean, reliable (LOL) & fun street car that I can DD if I want to. My goal is to run 400awhp on 93 pump never gonna push it much further than that. As i mentioned the shell itself is in great condition and most importantly for a North East car is rust free. The interior panels are all bubbled pretty badly so i am replacing them with some better condition units. I bought a JDM Engine and 6sp. Trans that appear to be in very good shape (good compression) and have already started to do the basic maintenance.

Here is what the to-do list looks like:

120K Maintenance
    SS TD04 Manifolds & O2 Housings
    CX-Racing Oil Cooler
    Ninja Performance SS-Braided Oil feed and return lines
    Modified T-stat housing w/ SS-Braided coolant lines (TB bypass)
    XTD Stage 3 Clutch w/Chromoly Flywheel
    6sp. DS front section
    Stock SMIC with CX Racing Hard Pipe kit
    3” Downpipe
    3” Cat-back exhaust
    Clone2 Flash ECU
    EVO 482 MAF
    560cc EVO injectors
    IPS Fuel Hat 250
    DeatschWerks DW200 255 LPH Fuel Pump (hotwired)
    STM -6AN tank to rail Fuel line kit
    Fuel Lab 818 Fuel Filter
    Fuel Lab FPR
    Fuel Rail Loop
    Aluminum Radiator (unsure of brand, came with the car)
    Mishimoto Radiator fan shroud kit
    Mishimoto Radiator hoses
    STM ABS delete
    Vac Reduction
    Prosport Premium 52mm Boost, Oil Pressure, Water temp gauge
    Replace all interior trim panels/plastics
    Stockinteriors.com plush Carpet (Charcoal)
    New Sound deadening/heat insulation (dynamat)
    New Leather seat covers/trim kit
    Custom Firewall insulator

Future mods:
    15G Turbos
    Pampena AWS Delete
    99 Sail panels
    2nd Gen sideskirts

First thing’s first while doing the full 120K service on the engine i will also be replacing the rear main seal just in case. I don’t really know how many miles are on this engine so I am going to take every precaution that I can. Other than the 120K is there anything else you guys recommend I do while the engine is still out of the car?

Phase 1 as i call it is maintenance and upgrading/cleaning up the engine bay as much as possible. I want to remove as much "stuff" as i can without affecting creature comforts and drivability. I want to keep the A/C and power steering that said i am doing the ABS delete and new Coolant/Oil/Fuel lines and full vac reduction.

Side note: Can anybody recommend the preferred boost control solenoid to use with the Flash ECU setup and maybe explain what the need is if any for a MAP sensor with the Flash ECU?

I will update this thread periodically with pictures as the work is getting done. I will be doing all the work myself and mostly on weekends so I’m sure it will be slow going.

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    let it begin...

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since
    '09

Thanks
    As far as what you should do with the engine out I would go ahead and toss in some new bearings, rings, OEM gaskets for everything, polish up the crank etc... There's nothing like peace of mind.

Member verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by D.I.P. View Post
    Other than the 120K is there anything else you guys recommend I do while the engine is still out of the car?

Side note: Can anybody recommend the preferred boost control solenoid to use with the Flash ECU setup and maybe explain what the need is if any for a MAP sensor with the Flash ECU?
    Things to do while it's all out? Trade me the JDM 6 speed > Of course painting the block and transmission (and clearing them) are great ways to keep them looking good and easy to clean. I would drain the trans fluid out and replace it with Redline or similar, get an idea of what kind of shape it's in.

Any idea what kind of shape the engine is in? Does it actually turn over? May not be a bad idea to pull the valve cover off and see what the inside of the heads look like (signs of going a long time without oil changes or the oil being cooked or similar.) May not be a bad idea to switch to 99 lifters (don't see it on your list) keeps the engine quiet and also, no telling what kind of shape the current lifters are in after sitting for so long.

edit: Mb3000 beat me to the rest of the list of what I would suggest. Honestly, I'd pull the heads off and check the cylinder walls for signs of damage, or blown head gaskets, do new bearings and such on the bottom end just to know it's all good to go.

Not knocking on the CX Racing oil cooler, but the Setrab is really where it's at for great cooling capacity in a SMOC. If you're staying SMIC, then go FMOC honestly. And if you are going to stay SMIC, why not go with DSMs?

Not sure about the solenoid, they were having decent results with the fuel pressure solenoid as I recall, but wasn't an officially supported thing. Greg or Adam should be able to tell you. As far as the MAP, believe that's just for logging boost, makes the logs that much more useful when you're tuning.
    Mods: 2g 3k body conversion, 2g Brake upgrade, Rota P45R rims
    Projects: Interior sound deadening, 14Bs, forged bottom end, custom radiator and sound mounts

There will be Blood! verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Sweet! Another build in the making. Pics are a must!

Help them, for they know not that which they do not know!
    CoopKill's Mistress Makeover Thread!
    "Punk, Nutswinging, Small Time, Asshat, Monkey, Jerkoff, Loser that rides on other peoples accomplishments!" . .

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    At this time i don't plan on doing any work on the bottom end. Just going to do the basic maintenance aka 120K, rear main seal, new oil pick up all new fluids. I want to run this stock bottom end as is for a while or until it pops (at which point ill just pick up a Pampena Built 3.1L) hopefully not for a long time. I did pull a bearing just to have a peek and it looks pretty good so i'm not going to worry about it for now. I do plan on swapping in some 99 lifters but not for the time being it is my understanding that these can be done without taking the timing belt off?. I also plan on adding a FMIC but not until I upgrade the turbos. I will be taking the valve covers off and having a look around since i'll be cleaning them up and doing a wrinkle finish paint anyway...

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Creds for saving a VR-4!

Subscribed.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since
    November 1999

Thanks
    In for more progress, great work so far.

-John

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Nice! Sounds like a solid plan.

Why not upgrade over stock smics though? cx dualcore kit or oohnoos. Both eliminate surge. Personally I kind of regret i didn't go cx's dualcore because it looks abit cleaner in the bay.
    Last edited by Ange; 10-04-2013 at 01:08 PM.