Thread: P90x

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I'm not an expert but the following seems to be pretty generally accepted in the bodybuilding community. Not to steer you away from the 6 pack but having visibly defined abs while trying to add weight is going to take an extremely strict diet. The issue is, when you want to add muscle, you should be eating more calories than your burn on a daily basis. This leaves the leftover calories to build some muscle. Unless your eating exactly what you and your muscles need, the extra leftovers get stored as fat. This is the called the ” bulk”.
    The 6 pack usually comes after you have reached your desired muscle mass and start doing cardio, eating a calorie deficit every day and still working out to maintain the muscle mass you built. The goal of this is to get rid of the excess fat and then you see all the well defined muscles including the 6 pack. This process is called the ”cut”.

So as you can see, the 2 are conflicting and you cant do them at the same time. So you cycle back and forth. I would suggest you definitely start with the bulk.

Also if you are not opposed to going to the gym at least 3 nights a week and can afford it, I would say go for it. I was very intimidated at first. It seemed like everyone there was from the movie 300 and i felt like they all were looking at me thinking "wtf is this skinny ass guy doing in our gym?!?!" Just ignore that feeling! Not that I ever got as big as half the guys there but after going for a month, you realize that most everyone is nice, most people keep to themselves, and some people will give you advice. You quickly feel apart of the gym and just as welcome as anyone else. A workout buddy is a huge motivation as long as they are motivated as well. If your work our buddy gets lazy and stops going, find a new one. The hardest part about all of this is sticking with it. I have stopped and restared like 5 times in the last 3 years and everytime I start again, I just wish i never stopped. I am just starting again and a 135lb squat feels heavy and I remember when I felt like I could run around the gym with 135lbs on my shoulders like it wasnt even there. Moral of the story is just keep at it.

Also if your going to perform any exercise, you need to get your form down. Read how to do them and watch a youtube video or watch 10. There is ALOT of misinformation when it comes to working out so the more you read, the better you get at spotting it. The main thing is, you do not want an injury. I thought I was immune to them and didnt take them seriosuly until i injured my lower back. I was in bed for a month and i live in constant fear of reinjuring it.

I started with a program called Rippetoes and i loved it, it seemed to give me a solid foundation. After that, you can branch off into the more complex split routines where you work a different body part every day. Machines have their place, but do not rely on them to do everything. If your going to squat, do it in a cage where you are still completely controlling the weight. Forget about the smith machine that does half the lift for you. The first time you squat or bench, the bar will be all over the place and wobbly, but you will learn to control it. Just keep the weights way down until you know how to do them.

That whole thing about high reps is for toning, low reps is for mass is crap. Weights are for mass, cardio and eating right is for "toning". Sorry IPD, but that is just some fitness magazine bs.
    Last edited by 99ishVR-4; 03-14-2013 at 02:25 AM.

Learn how to Powder Coat at www.powdercoatguide.com.