Thread: If I'm to find a desirable ECU for the anticipated...

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks

If I'm to find a desirable ECU for the anticipated...

...ability to flash-tune, what are the most likely candidates?

This info seems a bit scattered - might help to have all the candidates (and the attendent plusses and minuses) listed somewhere - like HERE.

Can we do this?

I am 1G/OBDI, if that matters.
    Ranked No. #1 in initial quality

Idiots, simply by being idiots, seem capable of achieving randomly bad things that are beyond the imaginings of sensible people.

One day....it will be on 4 wheels. supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks
    shame you could not use an EVO ECU
    Building a House, Car Mods on hold!
    1996 GTO, Owner since 2003.

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since
    '09

Thanks
    99 VR4 ECU is $757.07 from Cherry Hill [Part# MD360163]

Mad JDM Tite
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I will let those that have been doing the bulk of the conversion effort speak to the specifics but here are some important cliff notes:

1) All ecu's will require a conversion harness unless your car already has the 99 wire harness

2) Aside from the 99' VR4 ecu, all ecu's will require some level of modification to other portions of the car such as an aftermarket boost gauge, hot-wired fuel pump, etc. Most of this stuff falls under basic modifications that most people have already done, but it should be mentioned up front so there aren't any surprises.

3) There is some dissagreement into how well the knock circuitry has been mapped on non-VR4 ecu's. Those that are skeptical are being skeptical from the perspective of "until I can prove everything is the same I will not assume it is the same". While others have taken a more hands on approach and feel comfortable with what testing they have done.

I know the guy making the conversion harnesses is planning on working with a vendor to sell ecu/harness bundles. These bundles would take the guess work out of sourcing a proper candidate ecu and making any of the potentially necessary hardware changes. I believe there are also plans for doing basic reflash work for those that do not want to buy evoscan and the required cables. HOWEVER, this option will not be a reality until its been thoroughly tested and everyone involved feels good about it.

But if you want to do something sooner than when those guys are ready, you would just need to get the help of the correct players from this forum to do so.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 95gto For This Useful Post:

1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 95gto View Post
    I will let those that have been doing the bulk of the conversion effort speak to the specifics but here are some important cliff notes:

1) All ecu's will require a conversion harness unless your car already has the 99 wire harness

2) Aside from the 99' VR4 ecu, all ecu's will require some level of modification to other portions of the car such as an aftermarket boost gauge, hot-wired fuel pump, etc. Most of this stuff falls under basic modifications that most people have already done, but it should be mentioned up front so there aren't any surprises.

3) There is some dissagreement into how well the knock circuitry has been mapped on non-VR4 ecu's. Those that are skeptical are being skeptical from the perspective of "until I can prove everything is the same I will not assume it is the same". While others have taken a more hands on approach and feel comfortable with what testing they have done.

I know the guy making the conversion harnesses is planning on working with a vendor to sell ecu/harness bundles. These bundles would take the guess work out of sourcing a proper candidate ecu and making any of the potentially necessary hardware changes. I believe there are also plans for doing basic reflash work for those that do not want to buy evoscan and the required cables. HOWEVER, this option will not be a reality until its been thoroughly tested and everyone involved feels good about it.

But if you want to do something sooner than when those guys are ready, you would just need to get the help of the correct players from this forum to do so.
    Pretty much sums it up right here.

I’m using a 98-99 SL ECU but as Levi has pointed out there have been some disagreements about the knock circuitry.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Well, I'm looking for the cleanest, least problematic install, so I'm going to watch this very carefully - I'm guessing inside the next year we'll be seeing the good stuff.

Mad JDM Tite
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Well, I'm looking for the cleanest, least problematic install, so I'm going to watch this very carefully - I'm guessing inside the next year we'll be seeing the good stuff.
    The setup is being pursued under the intent to provide plug and play solutions, so once the devlopment is done it won't matter what ecu you get, it will have all the necessary components converted over. All you would need to do is remove the stock ecu, bolt the new one in, and then just plug everything in. The only potential extra wiring would be a fuel pump hotwire, provided that is not addressed in the hardware conversions. The ecus will come with a stock VR4 map flashed to them but I believe the plan is to offer modified parameters for larger injectors, evo maf, etc sent for an additional fee.

I would hope that within the next year we will see these bundles being ready to go. But a lot of it depends on how much time the folks doing the development can dedicate to the project, and its of course a side project for everyone.

As of right now you can purchase a conversion harness if you don't want to wait and want to do some development testing of your own. Brett is the guy to talk to about the harnesses as he has made all kinds now including the one that Aaron has been using on his car.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 95gto For This Useful Post:

Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    My schedule is spring, at the soonest, 'cuz she'll be parked for snow and some other stuff to be installed.

Be nice to get the hundred or so horses I'm currently leaving on the table in my back pocket.