Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To R/T or not to R/T, that is the question

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallz View Post
    Unfortunately it won't, there is an extra wire coming from the chassis which is the turn signal. The pigtail will plug in but still won't have all your lights, I recently did this so I know first hand. And as far as using spacers, well you can try but you would have to make up close to 2 inches.
    I beg to differ but,I did the exact thing,I took the pigtail from the RT ,with the taillights , plugged it in the base plug in, and brake,park and turn signals work,from what I can tell ,all Mitsu did was to spice 2 of the wires together originally.Your spacer needs to be 2.250 in length,You can drill and tap each end so it bolts to the mounting surface and the bumper.Just make sure you use all 3 retainers on top of the bumper flange.

BH

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallz View Post
    Maybe something changed between 1st & 2nd gen, I did the conversion on a 94 SL, but either way, to the OP, I would go full R/T if your gonna do anything.
    That must be the difference,I did a 92 base with the parts from a 93 RT,You make a good point..thanks for that info..
    BH

-Driftus Maximus- Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Well I know I have to mount up the 99 wing to show people what's going on with that so I can get a replacement or just fix it myself. So for fall I'll be rockin the ES with the 99 wing with a banana delete! Lol

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    disregard everything smallz says.

the 3kgt will need an r/t blinker box. an es will not. don't know why that is, but that's the case. shooter's es's/bases had the same blinker box as the r/t's. my 3kgt needed a different box.

your other option would be a 3kgt rear, which is marginally less involved & requires significantly less bumper spacing to work. i have a complete 2g conversion for that if you're interested.

-Driftus Maximus- Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Well I hope that will be my next driveable car, a 3000GT but I'm a Gen1 guy. I really like the evil eye hoods on the Gen2 and all but just can't do it and I see too many '99s around (internet) to really want one anymore. But thanks for the rear end offer.

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    did you ever get this finished? i know that es > r/t rear ends can be a bit of a PITA to do properly. my rear conversion doesn't have the corner mounts; the bumper is floating in the corners.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Make sure you get the fog light brackets!

I say the front end, door caps, and side skirts are a no brainer. You will have to cut off two small light brackets up front and remove the "es-panels" in the rear side skirt area.

I always kind of liked the es light bar rear, so I would consider replacing the front and sides and seeing how you like it, especially if you are keeping a single outlet exhaust. I changed to a rt rear specifically because I was going to a dual exhaust. I haven't replaced my sail panels, but I temporarily painted the es ones with bumper paint. I hear replacing the sail panels can be kind of a pain and I think the es trim doesn't look too bad painted black on a black car.

For the rear, I drilled out all the spot welds for the bumper cover bracket, bolted the bracket to the rt bumper, marked the new position on the car and welded it up. I sprayed a little paint over all of that to prevent rust and I filled any extra holes with seam sealer. I left all the rear wiring the same and cut an extra light hole in each rt light to accommodate the three bulbs. I haven't checked to see how bright the turn signals are in the rear.