Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: popped my dipstick, how fucked am i?

Diamonds and Rust Feedback Score 1 (100%) gltasn's Avatar
    Owner Since
    1-11-01

Thanks

popped my dipstick, how fucked am i?

got approx 1500 miles on new build. poped the dipstick on the hwy 2 days ago and cant figure out why. got good vaccum(-18),checked all the crank vents, removed stock pcv valve(1400 miles old). i strapped the dipstick so it cant pop out more than 1/2 inch so it can vent rather than pop out and cause another fire(2 so far). pressure tested at tdc and no leaks but when remove dipstick theres a woosh of air.

will buy a compression tester today but, car runs good and isnt smoking. if it is bad ring seal then what are my bandaid solutions so i can drive her for the next 6 weeks then rebuild durring winter. thx guys!

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gltasn View Post
    when remove dipstick theres a woosh of air.
    crankcase is pressurised at idle ??
    Your running stock pcv valve ?

hook a vaccuum gauge on the crankase (dip stick hole) to check that there is any pressure in the crankase, thats what I would do first
    Last edited by mb7050; 09-23-2010 at 02:17 PM.

Owner Since
    1-11-01

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mb7050 View Post
    crankcase is pressurised at idle ??
    Your running stock pcv valve ?

hook a vaccuum gauge on the crankase (dip stick hole) to check that there is any pressure in the crankase, thats what I would do first
    stock pcv is out of the mix but still have the crankvents. i pretty much know the cc is getting pressure. and since its not the pcv system im buying a compression tester today. i guess i know im fuct but im in denile. unless theres another cause for the cc to pressurize.

Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Have you tried to run all the valve cover ports to open athmosphere ?

bad rings or bad cc ventilation can cause the cc to pressurize I cant think anything else right now.
    Last edited by mb7050; 09-23-2010 at 02:49 PM.

Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I had krank vents but I uninstalled the bigger one because my dipstick popped out once (because the bigger one got stuck). Now I´m using the small one and the stock pcv valve in series(Idont trust krank vents at all), no problems I still think the bigger krank vent is useless ...

oh and my leakdown and compression is all good...
    Last edited by mb7050; 09-23-2010 at 03:26 PM.

Owner Since

Thanks
    My talon pops it's dipstick everytime I drive it, as did my Black stealth before I rolled it it. In the Talon's case it's due to low compression on all cylinders (100 - 110 psi on a hot engine, 15 inhg vac at a hot factory idle), caused by high mileage and alaskan winters. In the case of the Stealth it was good on all cylinders except the #6 which had something like 75 psi hot (17 inhg vac at a hot factory idle). A good easy test to do is warm up the engine and then go down a hill with your foot off the gas and the engine in gear cranking about 3500 rpm, look at your vac if it's not 23/24 inhg you probably have issues, try dropping a gear so the rpms are > 5000, you should see 24/25 inhg. My talon can only muster 19/20 inhg on these tests. I'll give you a call later today.

Joe

Owner Since
    1-11-01

Thanks
    2 tc lock-ups, 2 engine fires(not bad ones but still scary),4 engines that detonated # 6 piston, its hard for me to drive her and not be worried about something happening. driving my car is like getting a girl off, and right when they climax, she explodes!

Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I know that feeling .

Just a thought could bad valve guides cause such an issue ?

Twin Turbo verified Feedback Score 5 (100%) GTOJOE's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GTO_Joe View Post
    My talon pops it's dipstick everytime I drive it, as did my Black stealth before I rolled it it. In the Talon's case it's due to low compression on all cylinders (100 - 110 psi on a hot engine, 15 inhg vac at a hot factory idle), caused by high mileage and alaskan winters. In the case of the Stealth it was good on all cylinders except the #6 which had something like 75 psi hot (17 inhg vac at a hot factory idle). A good easy test to do is warm up the engine and then go down a hill with your foot off the gas and the engine in gear cranking about 3500 rpm, look at your vac if it's not 23/24 inhg you probably have issues, try dropping a gear so the rpms are > 5000, you should see 24/25 inhg. My talon can only muster 19/20 inhg on these tests. I'll give you a call later today.

Joe
    Hahahaha there is only is only room for one GTO joe here mate!!!! and I was here first
    1990 JDM GTO TT with Vi-PEC plug-in V44 EMS, TD04-13T's, 3SX Downpipe, MP Hi-flow cat, ARC SMIC's, Aeromotive Stealth 340LPH pump, Fuelab 515 FPR, Ninja Performance 75amp hotwire kit, oohnoo fuel loop & rail adapters, Nylon braided ethanol fuel line, NGK AFX Wideband, K&N FIPK, Iridium plugs, HKS Twin Power DLI, Turbo XS racing BOV, 3SX poly mounts, Custom 280km/h speedo.

Waiting install
    Injector Dynamics 725cc Injectors.

Build Thread

11 sec FWD! (old name: 94atxvr2) Feedback Score 0 11secondFWD's Avatar
    Owner Since
    2004 ****Click my home page for videos*****

Thanks
    I take away all my sources of boost/vacuum off my valve covers and vent them. All I know is every pressure test I did when I have pcv and crap hooked up to the intake manifold boost source I would get pressure in my crankcase. Doing that on every car I have owned saved me from popping dipstick. ALso, everyone of my cars has perfect compression and runs strong, so I know that having the intake manifold boost sources hooked up to my valve cover is causing it. So I would check there first.

92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Auto = 10.61@127.8 (1.4 60ft)
    94 3000gt SL 8:1TT 5spd getrag = 11.87@123 (1.8 60ft)
    91 3000gt VR4 13gs = 11.61@115 (1.59 60ft)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast