Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1992 GTI

Member verified Feedback Score 0 DocWalt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks

My 1992 GTI

Finally bought myself a new car. Got a smoking deal since the car includes a TON of relatively expensive extras, found some issues I wasn't expecting and now I get to do a member's journal, woohoo!

Drove 5 hours to go buy this GTI in NY. H&R Springs all the way around, new Bilstein rear struts, and 160k mile front struts. 5 hours home on the highway with struts like this vv was hilarious. I hope the people I blew past were laughing as much as I was.

WTF? I have a Helios blue BBS RA for my spare tire rim...

Got home safe and sound, cleaned her up and made a tally of the issues I had: Passenger inner door handle is no longer attached to the door latch; passenger side lap belt is gone; passenger front indicator and marker light don't work; headlights are trash; driver's door latch needs finagled to close; headliner is sagging; door cards have shrunken leather; no radio; no fuel gauge; missing seat levers; blend door foam is missing (blows out in your face); exhaust leaks; handbrake doesn't work. I'll try to think of anything else.

Some cleaned up pics:

Obviously I need to get inspected to drive on the road in PA, so I'm going to start tackling the obvious inspection issues first.

Find where the exhaust is leaking:
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Last night I decided to tackle the fuel gauge issue. The gauge in the cluster seemed to work, it would move up to the empty mark from the shut off point, so I moved to the tank and checked the PO's work to make sure the float was lined up correctly. Simple, or so I thought, lol. There's an arrow on the fuel pump assembly and on the tank to make sure the float arm doesn't hit anything and it was right on, time to pull the assembly. What I found was odd... No float on the arm. /facepalm. I got to drain the tank (no drain plug so I used a siphon and a bunch of gas cans and juice bottles ) and fish around for the float. I could hear it clunking around when I sloshed the tank so I knew it was still floating around. Fished it out around 9pm. Woohoo!

Spent an hour finding a new clip and put it all back together and cleaned up around 12am. Gauge now works!

Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Big props go out to my brother Andrew for picking up a new door latch and passenger lap belt, plus some other odds and ends at Harry's on Sunday. He also tackled the wiring for the indicators and fog lights with me on Saturday & Sunday night. Thanks Andrew!

Ordered up some new door latch bolts and seat belt bolt at the dealer yesterday. Sunday night I ordered a TON of parts to finish up the repairs I need for inspection. New headlight assemblies (need to find good H4 bulbs, any recommendations?), KYB GR-2 front struts and new OEM upper strut mounts, Pagid front pads, Mk4 rear caliper conversion kit (factory calipers are seized, no bueno), and a Techtonics Tuning exhaust.

Woo, expect lots of pics of repairs and stuff.

Quoted from the CL ad:
    i have a 1992 vw gti 16v with 159k miles on it. it runs and drive it's currently on the road, i've put a bunch of new parts in it over the past 2500 miles like tires,clutch, motor mount,tranny mount,both fuel pumps, coolant pipe shifter bushings,battery, all new seals and fluid in the tranny while i had it out to do the clutch. i also have new and ready to be installed e-brake cables,rear motor mount,t-belt,tensioner and water pump... the car has abt pedals,and door lock pulls,conrerro red stiched shifter boot with matching e-brake handle cover,carbon fiber momo door sill trims that still have the protective plastic on them!!! a nuespeed upper stress bar, smoked tails aftermarket recaro seats in the front and the correct stock grey recaros in the rear and it's sitting on some period correct 15" fondmetal rims...for that old skool look...NO RUST!!! i bought the car on long island 2 years ago where it sat for 8 years before i got it and theres no rust anywhere that i saw on the car... needs some tlc like a pass side mirror (which i may have, i have to check my storage) it needs a radio,the foglights were missing when i got the car,the suspension is completely blown( i made a deal for a suspension but it seems to have fallen thru,if that changes and i get the suspension we can negotiate that into the price some how if interested) and the short harness for the right front directional needs to be replaced...i have nearly twice what i'm asking into the car at this point but inlight of the tlc that it needs i've priced it for a quick sale, i'm willing to dicker a LITTLE but i'm not gonna give the car away...NO TRADES!!! and please don't send me emails with lowball offers i will not respond!!! if you want to make an offer come see it!!! i have a clean NYS title in hand in my name!!! and i will NOT hold the car for anybody...first person to show up with the right amount of CASH gets it...and yes i have the lower lip for the front bumper...if you have any questions please feel free to email me.

Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Copy pasted the above from my local forums.

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Swap in a vr6!!!!

DR-750 club Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) FeaRpb's Avatar
    Owner Since
    I could drive.

Thanks
    Lol, I used to have a car with worse struts than that. It was a Lollerfest driving that thing on the highway.
    July 2014 COTM
    We follow the earth. The earth follows the stars. The stars know their way and though the body dies. The stars will remain, like the waves of the sea and restless slate.

Player Hater of the Year Feedback Score 0 Turbo Beast's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keo92stealth View Post
    Swap in a vr6!!!!
    No, stage 3 G60

Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    No to both of those, staying 16v. Probably staying N/A too, the throttle response is fantastic.

Here for the party Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) CoreyB's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Beast View Post
    No, stage 3 G60
    Had a G60 1990 Corrado, traded it for my first VR4

Member verified Feedback Score 0 nodoze's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    nice find doc!

Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast