Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Supercharger fuel system

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3000gttom View Post
    yea thats my thread, nothing wrong with anything i said in it, just no need to deal with trolls

when you say your tuning has to just meet requirements then your skimping,

o well have fun cutting corners, ive already gained 10wtq from 5000 rpm to the redline on an n/a with flash tuning just the fuel map

Attachment 4466
    Man if a person doesn't agree with you, you immediately start name calling and criticizing.

Congradulations with your power improvements, now just stay off this thread.

Forum User Feedback Score 0 ibsorgn's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    There are a number of different ways to modify your fuel system to handle forced induction and that's why I pointed out a few in an earlier post. I'm not as imagative as some so I went a more conventional route and effectively changed my fuel system and ECU to that used by the TT systems. Not breaking any real ground here but it was a safe choice. Items that need to be addressed/acquired are 1) higher capacity fuel pump, 2) high impedance injectors 3) inline resistors for the injectors, 4) 1st gen TT ECU, 5) a few wiring changes to the ECU, and 6) thermo fan controller. Optional items would include an adjustable fuel regulator, fuel pressure gauge and SAFC. Please note this is an upgrade for a Fed spec 2nd gen 3S NA. The cost including the SAFC set me back about $675. The fuel and timing maps of the TT ECU work well for my supercharged setup although somewhat to the rich side in most cases however the SAFC can correct. For the most part the base changes (items 1 - 6) should fit the motor's needs quite well.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ibsorgn View Post
    There are a number of different ways to modify your fuel system to handle forced induction and that's why I pointed out a few in an earlier post. I'm not as imagative as some so I went a more conventional route and effectively changed my fuel system and ECU to that used by the TT systems. Not breaking any real ground here but it was a safe choice. Items that need to be addressed/acquired are 1) higher capacity fuel pump, 2) high impedance injectors 3) inline resistors for the injectors, 4) 1st gen TT ECU, 5) a few wiring changes to the ECU, and 6) thermo fan controller. Optional items would include an adjustable fuel regulator, fuel pressure gauge and SAFC. Please note this is an upgrade for a Fed spec 2nd gen 3S NA. The cost including the SAFC set me back about $675. The fuel and timing maps of the TT ECU work well for my supercharged setup although somewhat to the rich side in most cases however the SAFC can correct. For the most part the base changes (items 1 - 6) should fit the motor's needs quite well.
    I assume that I could swap out my fuel pump for a higher volume without having to make related changes. I read about hotwiring the pump and replumbing with AN fittings, what is the need or is there? Any recommendations for a fuel pump, keep hearing about Walpro, Denso etc? Would this be a good time to install the adjustable fuel regulator and if so would any of these changes have an adverse effect on my current system?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Blown3000 For This Useful Post:

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown3000 View Post
    I assume that I could swap out my fuel pump for a higher volume without having to make related changes. I read about hotwiring the pump and replumbing with AN fittings, what is the need or is there? Any recommendations for a fuel pump, keep hearing about Walpro, Denso etc? Would this be a good time to install the adjustable fuel regulator and if so would any of these changes have an adverse effect on my current system?
    Hotwiring is not needed unless you are looking to squeeze out performance. If your voltage is correct you will be fine. I'm not a name brand person as such, any good OEM 250 lph pump will do. I chose a pump for a Eclipse GST. The pump was nearly a exact size replacement and that is important as many of these other pumps will not fit into the pump carrier without modification. Installing the AFR will not hurt a thing. Be aware that some AFR will allow for the fuel pressure to bleed down when not in operation. This will not hurt anything however it will cause you to crank the engine over a bit more to return the fuel pressure to normal. AN fittings, their pretty and costly but not necessary for your application. 3/8 soft copper tubing and compression fittings will work just fine and save you money. I'll write a bit more on that when I have time, right now I'm late. Let us know how you did.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ibsorgn View Post
    Hotwiring is not needed unless you are looking to squeeze out performance. If your voltage is correct you will be fine. I'm not a name brand person as such, any good OEM 250 lph pump will do. I chose a pump for a Eclipse GST. The pump was nearly a exact size replacement and that is important as many of these other pumps will not fit into the pump carrier without modification. Installing the AFR will not hurt a thing. Be aware that some AFR will allow for the fuel pressure to bleed down when not in operation. This will not hurt anything however it will cause you to crank the engine over a bit more to return the fuel pressure to normal. AN fittings, their pretty and costly but not necessary for your application. 3/8 soft copper tubing and compression fittings will work just fine and save you money. I'll write a bit more on that when I have time, right now I'm late. Let us know how you did.
    Got the new fuel pump in. Man what a job breaking those lines! The GST pump required me to slightly lower the bottom bracket and reposition and drill the bracket bolt. For a little extra security I also installed a SS band clamp. Went to your writeup to understand how to convert and adapt to npt compression and barbed fittings. Fab'd a bracket to mount the adjustable fuel regulator, and with the use of the barbed npt fittings the AFR was pretty simple to install. I see what you mean about being able to tune with the AFR! I also installed a fuel pressure gauge simular to what you did. You were right about the cost savings of a npt and compression fitting setup verses that of a AN setup and, by avoiding a name brand style pump, I saved alot of money. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to start looking around for a TT ECU and injectors. What about the need for a SAFC?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Blown3000 For This Useful Post:

Owner Since

Thanks
    Got the new fuel pump in. Man what a job breaking those lines! The GST pump required me to slightly lower the bottom bracket and reposition and drill the bracket bolt. For a little extra security I also installed a SS band clamp. Went to your writeup to understand how to convert and adapt to npt compression and barbed fittings. Fab'd a bracket to mount the adjustable fuel regulator, and with the use of the barbed npt fittings the AFR was pretty simple to install. I see what you mean about being able to tune with the AFR! I also installed a fuel pressure gauge simular to what you did. You were right about the cost savings of a npt and compression fitting setup verses that of a AN setup and, by avoiding a name brand style pump, I saved alot of money. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to start looking around for a TT ECU and injectors. What about the need for a SAFC?
    Glad to hear that your doing your own work, many don't but merely write about what they had done. You can always tell those that do the work from those that don't because their always short on detail and/or specifics. Concerning the fuel pressure gauge, if I had it over to do again I would have purchase a three gauge A pillar fixture and installed a fuel pressure gauge using a sending unit. If your able to do that I would certainly advise going with a cabin gauge, in that way you can see how that FMU performs. Happy to hear that you installed a AFR as that can help you tune by simply setting working fuel pressure. Once you get ready to install those injectors I'll give you some suggestions on wiring those resistors so that it don't look so jury rigged like in so many pictures I've seen.
    Last edited by ibsorgn; 08-25-2012 at 08:58 PM. Reason: spelling

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ibsorgn For This Useful Post:

Owner Since

Thanks
    What about the need for a SAFC?
    If you are truely moving to the TT ECU and injectors and you're a little pressed for cash I would say no. Why, the TT ECU and injectors do a pretty good job handling the fuel and timing, or at least on my car they do and I would not expect much difference with yours. If you find that adjustment is needed then acquire one, but I think you will find that the TT setup will be pretty close, although it will favor the rich side abit.

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    At the end of the day the twin turbo ECU doesn`t car if you`re supercharged or TT`d, it meters the correct amount of fuel based on the Air Mas Meter readings so as long as you`re running a stock air meter in drawthrough with the TT kit you will be fine as ibsorgn says.
    GTO-TT, PTE 1200's, M20, Emanage Ultimate, OS Geiken R3C,
    TD04-16g`s, Maf-t. 13g`s 12.4@115mph / 16g`s 12.5@117mph.

Owner Since

Thanks
    I would assume that I should keep the WMI even though I'm going to larger injectors? If it is kept, should I change anything I'm doing eg., triggering, nozzle/volume, solution etc?

Owner Since

Thanks
    I would assume that I should keep the WMI even though I'm going to larger injectors? If it is kept, should I change anything I'm doing eg., triggering, nozzle/volume, solution etc?
    By all means keep the water injection, this after all, is your "intercooler" and should be good for up to a trouble-free 10 psi should you choose to increase your boost. I can't remember if you stated whether you had a progressive system or not so I will assume not. I start my spray at 2.5 lbs as I don't want to be injecting at too low of rpm, so I don't believe that you would ever want to trigger any lower psi, and the higher the boost, the more the temperatures will rise. Because you will be supplying all the fuel the engine needs to operate under boost then you can do two things, 1) you don't have to add additional methanol/alcohol for fuel enrichment (I just spray -20 windshield washer fluid), 2) If you are using a 400cc+ nozzle, you can safely reduce your volume by 25% - 30% but I don't think this is necessary. BTW, do not lower volume by decreasing pressure. Oh, if you raise your boost stay with the higher volume nozzle as the temps will increase.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast