Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to learn to work with fiberglass

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

Want to learn to work with fiberglass

Well im going to be experimenting with fiberglass for some interior panels and work my way up to eventually way down the road making a custom trunk. Ive watched videos on how to layer it and do the resin with the cloth and what not. I assume its just like mixing body filler just less viscous? How much material will i need to do something similar to the size of the door panel? Can fiberglass be applied to a bare surface and stick to it? What all goes into making the surface very smooth and glassy? Its a lot of questions so answer in any format that works for you guys.
    93 Stealth ES - 3000GT conversion,AWD conversion, ACPT 1 piece CFDS, Operable AA wing, 99 rear garnish, R/T sails, ABS delete, SS Clutch line, SS braided brake lines, Vac clutch assist, 2G TT brakes all around, Kyb Gr-2 shocks, Megan Springs up front Tein S tech's in the rear, Cusco rear strut bar, Ebay front strut bar, TT cat back exhaust , K&N cone filter, Poly motor mounts, Poly front suspension bushings, and poly rear diff bushings.

SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The best way to learn your way with fiberglass is to just do it, it's something that requires practice. I watched video upon video, but when it came time for me to get working on something I was running around like a clueless moron. Obviously, things like patience and a base of knowledge are key, watch the videos to give you a rough idea of what to be doing, then just go work on some small pieces and work your way up to the bigger things. One tip I can give though, is NEVER use a sheet of glass, shred it up into smaller pieces. This will prevent the chance of air bubbles and make it much easier to work around corners. If you're doing something complex it's usually best to start with something more flexible like fleece, then do the fiberglass over the top of it.
    Photobucket

3. The Following User Says Thank You to J_Parker For This Useful Post:

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    could i use fiberglass to coat a surface? for example fiberboard panels?

SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    You can, however, to make your life a lot easier, I recommend a releasing agent (a thin film of cooking oil works well in a pinch) over thing's that you're planning to coat unless you don't want the glass to separate. For that, just be sure that the piece is free of grease, wax, etc. For smoother surfaces try to scuff them up with sandpaper.

Are you planning to do one-offs, or are you going to be making a plug -> mold -> multiple pieces?
    "This is a ridiculous cause and effect suggestion."
    "Yeah, kind of like the sun rising and then morning happening, eh? What are they trying to pull on us?"

"If I wanted to hear from an asshole, I'd fart into a microphone."

"It's easy. Take the last f*ck, and let it go, and thus you shall have no more f*cks to give."

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    actually want to learn this aswell.

have been wanting to make a heatshield/kinda semi box of carbon fiber for the airfilter.

guessing carbon fiber is harder to work with than glassfiber though, not to mention more expensive..

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post

have been wanting to make a heatshield/kinda semi box of carbon fiber for the airfilter.

guessing carbon fiber is harder to work with than glassfiber though, not to mention more expensive..
    Your toughest bit will be getting the right resin mix, not the carbon fiber itself. If the temperature surrounding it isn't ever above 50-60 degrees celsius, you could just use regular epoxy resin, otherwise you'd probably have to track down some high heat epoxy. Otherwise, its pretty much the same thing...

SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post

The hardest part when working with carbon fibre is actually making it look good in the end, a lot of people have trouble with laying the mat on and keeping the fibres straight in line.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Well im actually going to be working with CF now. i ordered the cloth and clear resin. Just going to have to see how this goes .

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodlust182 View Post
    Well im actually going to be working with CF now. i ordered the cloth and clear resin. Just going to have to see how this goes .
    post pics of progress