Thread: Carrier Bearing Question

Carrier Bearing Question

I remember a while ago, someone in Sweden (I think) was making polyurethane carrier bearings but I don't remember what happened to that whole project.

It got me thinking. Is there an optimal range of flex that you want a carrier bearing to have. I mean, would it be detrimental to have solid carrier bearings? Obviously too soft and you'd have unwanted shaft movement (That's what she said! Ooooohhhh hehe jk -_-), but is it possible to have a carrier bearing that is too stiff?

Even if those poly carrier bearings were available (which I don't know if they are), would you really want them to be less flexible than a set of new stock bearings?

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Free bump, I'd like to hear about this. I ended up doing the zip tie method and to my surprise 3 years later they are still holding.

Here for the party Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Zip tie method? Please explain.

-BOOSTTD- verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I tried the zipties this weekend and apparently need stronger ties...they kept breaking when I tightened them against the rubber surrround

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyB View Post
    Zip tie method? Please explain.
    You go to home depot, buy a bag of the 4 foot zip ties, route them around the carrier bearings and voila!

Here for the party Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Haha. Thats interesting. I have considered filling the rubber surround with silicone.

Woah! Zip tie method... Hmm... Might just have to do that before I drive to cali. That's a very interesting idea.

I bought some 75 ftlb rated zip ties from home depot (the thinner ones) and installed two per carrier bearing. Everything looks good so far and after a test drive around my neighborhood including some spirited acceleration, I checked to see if they stood up and they're still fine.

I was going to buy the thicker, 175 ftlb rated zip ties but I wasn't sure if they would fit through the slots. Having installed the thinner ones, I think they might. If these break before I get my new carrier bearings in, I'll try the thicker, more durable model.

Installation is very easy. You don't really need any tools. I found that if I slide the zip tie through the slot on the driver side, it easily wraps around and comes out of the passenger side slot all by itself. I wasn't able to get the zip ties to wrap around start from the passenger side slot, they encountered some resistance every time, I'm not sure why.

I now have significantly less vibration while driving. I'm very happy that I installed them as a temporary fix while I wait for my replacements to come in.

I'll post an update if I make it to Fallbrook CA from Vegas without them breaking.