Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upgrading wheels. Why stay with 17" instead of moving up to 18"

Forum User Feedback Score 1 (100%) 3KVT's Avatar
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Are there any rims that don't require spacers for our car, without special ordering them? I've been searching for a while now, and it seems that every set I find or have tried has clearance issues with my TT calipers.

Owner Since
    Sorry if you care, I could be lying anyway!

Thanks
    My TT has 18" Mazda CX7 Wheels with spacers ... I love the look, and they handle great...
    Dave

91 Stealth TT- Pampena Stage 2 short block, rebuilt heads, Solid mounts, MBC, Vac reduc, hotwired, Blitz FATT, 4.5" FIPK, TurboXS BOV, Stainless Downpipe, Race pipe, Borla exhaust, AHDS, 500 lb clutch, JDM 25 spline 5 spd/tcase, Short Shifter, EVO leather knob, 18" Mazdaspeed wheels, Front Splitter, in dash touch screen bluetooth/navigation/DVD...

94 3000GT DOHC - Nitrous express proton series w/ upgraded solenoids, dash mounted datalogger, in dash touch screen navi w/bluetooth, IPT end clutch, high performance trans cooler, Translab shift kit. SOLD

Not A DSM verified Feedback Score 3 (100%) Polygon's Avatar
    Owner Since
    June 2006

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3KVT View Post
    Are there any rims that don't require spacers for our car, without special ordering them? I've been searching for a while now, and it seems that every set I find or have tried has clearance issues with my TT calipers.
    There are a lot of wheels that will clear TT calipers. However, a lot of them are going to be special order from most places. I've gone through three sets of my wheels and each time it took a month. It was the same story everywhere I looked.

Owner Since
    Sorry if you care, I could be lying anyway!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    There are a lot of wheels that will clear TT calipers. However, a lot of them are going to be special order from most places. I've gone through three sets of my wheels and each time it took a month. It was the same story everywhere I looked.
    Just curious, did your wheels get damaged from racing or something? Those wheels do look good on your ride. (I don't like black wheels on cars, but yours look good on the white)

Not A DSM verified Feedback Score 3 (100%) Polygon's Avatar
    Owner Since
    June 2006

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hotGTO View Post
    Just curious, did your wheels get damaged from racing or something? Those wheels do look good on your ride. (I don't like black wheels on cars, but yours look good on the white)
    Thanks!

I love the wheels. Sadly, 5Zigens, at the FN01R-C seem to suffer from a VERY delicate finish. I first went with silver and I ended up with clear coat failure. After seeing the the black/polished on another white car I decided to switch to them. Luckily they were under warranty. Then, less than a year later I started having the same issue with those. So I got them replaced again. Now I use covers over the wheels. Wouldn't be an issue if I could park the car in a garage.

TD04 Upgrade & Billet TD05 Upgrades Feedback Score 8 (100%) 92RT-TT's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    crap I keep forgetting to take the addt pictures of those rims for you Polygon :/. I'll try to do that this weekend!

Charter Member verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Geordon's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Sept. 1991

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blackjdmpower View Post
    I've got Advan RS in 18X9. What is your price range? GTC01 is a good choice. Me personally, I dislike any rota wheel.
    I know you said yours are +29mm. Is the GTR face obviously more concave than the flatter +35mm? Did you camber to keep the fronts from poking? Are you running 245s on those? Are yours gunmetal or silver? Thanks.
    [SOLD] Black '92 R/T TT
    Tein H springs
    K&N Airfilter
    (119,000 miles -- original owner)

Rice Patrol verified Feedback Score 0 Mean Green's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I love my 17's..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123