Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how hard is it to replace wheel bearing in a vr4?

Forum User verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) thor'svr4's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

how hard is it to replace wheel bearing in a vr4?

I was thinking about replacing the passenger side rear wheel bearing this weekend but I’ve heard that its incredibly hard to do. it doesn’t look to hard in the book, but I have a feeling that nothing is going to come apart easily.

What do you guys think?
    Anyone got any tips or advice?
    the basic go fast bits...
    forged short block, Billet DR1000's, 680cc injectors, meth inj, FMIC, MAFT, Apexi Neo, hotwired 255lph fuel pump.

Tuned by Ray Pampena

Just a fun Daily Driver.

Charter Member verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Geordon's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Sept. 1991

Thanks
    I don't know how hard it is to do yourself, but I had both front wheel bearing/hubs replaced at a local shop, and as with anything else on this old car, 18 winters of salt takes it toll. I was charged 2 1/2 hr labor for each corner. Total job cost me about $625 in parts, labor, shop supplies, tax, etc, etc.
    [SOLD] Black '92 R/T TT
    Tein H springs
    K&N Airfilter
    (119,000 miles -- original owner)

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since
    2004/5?

Thanks
    I'm also interested in any advice. I have the new part waiting to go in one of these days; maybe I'll do a write up for the new site when I get around to it.
    . 1992 VR4 - Java Black Pearl paint (2004 STI) with combo '92/'96/'99 custom front end .
    . Fittipaldi Force or 5Zigen FNO1-RC wheels . Cianci rear strut bar . K&N intake . DNP pre-turbo hard pipes . DNP hard intercooler pipe kit . Greddy Type RS BOV (recirc) . HKS EVC Black Limited boost controller . Vacuum reduction with all silicone pluming . EGR block off plates . Hot wired fuel pump . AEM AFPR @the rail with Robbeck adapter . Fuel rail loop . Tanabe knockoff down pipe . No cats . Single Turbo Flamer full 3" cat back . RPS Max pressure plate with street disk . Seattle92VR4 solid motor mounts . '99 Lifters . R1 Concepts slotted rotors . Supercar Engineering brake caliper stiffening bolts . HHH data logging . Red Line fluids .

JNS Engineering verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Jimvr4's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordon View Post
    I don't know how hard it is to do yourself, but I had both front wheel bearing/hubs replaced at a local shop, and as with anything else on this old car, 18 winters of salt takes it toll. I was charged 2 1/2 hr labor for each corner. Total job cost me about $625 in parts, labor, shop supplies, tax, etc, etc.
    Ouch. It's really not hard at all to replace the front hubs. I just had mine out to replace a broken wheel stud. All you have to do is disconnect the tie rod end and mark and disconnect the eccentric bolts from the strut. You have to break the axel nut free with a 32mm socket and a 24 inch breaker bar (need car in gear and helper pushing on the brakes). Then you disconnect the caliper, pull the rotor, and the axel can be pushed out of the hub.

Here's a pic. Just need to break the 4 17mm nuts that hold the hub to the knuckle.

Mod list (scroll down the page)
    JNS Engineering has your Spyders covered (and uncovered too!!)

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thor'svr4 View Post
    I was thinking about replacing the passenger side rear wheel bearing this weekend but I’ve heard that its incredibly hard to do. it doesn’t look to hard in the book, but I have a feeling that nothing is going to come apart easily.

What do you guys think?
    Anyone got any tips or advice?
    I only did the fronts so I can't comment on how hard it is to do the rears.

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) RealMcCoy's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    It's pretty easy if you have the right tools... How equipped are you to do that kind of work? I use a slide hammer with a hub attachment to pull the hub, and a press to remove/install the anti lock tone ring and outer bearing. I just knock the inner bearing out with a large punch and a hammer.

Edit: I hope I don't sound like an ass, but how did you determine which bearing is bad? I just did one a couple weeks ago that I would have bet hard cash was the right rear, but when I got it on the rack and started testing, it ended up being the left rear. Those noises can transfer all over the car and really fool you.
    Last edited by RealMcCoy; 09-24-2010 at 01:56 AM.

Real Performance Automotive (541)816-4500 www.FB.com/RealPerformanceAuto

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RealMcCoy View Post
    It's pretty easy if you have the right tools... How equipped are you to do that kind of work? I use a slide hammer with a hub attachment to pull the hub, and a press to remove/install the anti lock tone ring and outer bearing. I just knock the inner bearing out with a large punch and a hammer.

Edit: I hope I don't sound like an ass, but how did you determine which bearing is bad? I just did one a couple weeks ago that I would have bet hard cash was the right rear, but when I got it on the rack and started testing, it ended up being the left rear. Those noises can transfer all over the car and really fool you.
    Larry, I had to google slide hammer. I don't own one and had no idea what it was. Does the hub attachment need to be a particular size to work with our cars? Do you have any pictures to show how you do the job?

1st ever COTM and COTY verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) green-lantern's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    I'd say you need a press or take it somewhere to press them out. I haven’t done the rear ether but have done the front. 3SX has the front hub for a good price if anybody is needing to do theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

Man vs 3/S verified Feedback Score 6 (100%) R/T93's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    You dont need any slide hammers or any of that nonsense. If your suspension isnt rusted to shit you should be able to tap the rear of the studs with a hammer and get the bearing out. A new bearing has new studs so dont worry about damaging the old ones so much.

In fact I did my Stealth bearings last spring and they pretty much came out by hand (1st gen TT front brakes)
    93 R/T - Modded, Full Suspension, Full Exhaust, Quaife Diff, Turbo brakes, Alpine/Boston Sound One of 25
    98 VR-4 - Billet 13t's, Downpipe, Blitz EBC, Ohlins R/T coil overs, SCE center differential, SCE oil pan, Pampena braced trans, TEC Rear Strut Bar, Custom Front Strut Bar, Camber Arms, Alum Driveshaft, 2" Koyo, Maximal oil cooler, SAFC2, Defi Gauges, RC 550's, Supra Pump, Skillard Splitter, Hardpipes, XYZ 14" front brakes/Carbotech, 255 Dunlop Z2's, AMR 18x9's, Alpine/Infinity/JL Sound. One of 13

3SNG15 Best overall

"I explode 1 piece rotors" -- ABM --
    Runs 12's (12.98's!!!!!!)
    My Garage

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) RealMcCoy's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R/T93 View Post
    You dont need any slide hammers or any of that nonsense. If your suspension isnt rusted to shit you should be able to tap the rear of the studs with a hammer and get the bearing out. A new bearing has new studs so dont worry about damaging the old ones so much.

In fact I did my Stealth bearings last spring and they pretty much came out by hand (1st gen TT front brakes)
    That "nonsense" was in regard to the subject of this thread, the REAR bearings...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast