Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Single Build

I don't own a VR4! Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Big Single Build

Before I get the haters in here asking me why, I want to put a few things out here so I can clear things up.

1. The car is paid off and I have 2.5 times more than I paid into the car just in preventive maintenance.
    2. I am not super duper concerned about blowing anything up because I don't have a lot into the car overall.

Now that those things are out of the way, here's some background on the car:

The car is a 93 Dodge Stealth Base SOHC. Most of the people that attended NG, saw it run the autocross and the drags. The Drags were pathetic, but hey, it was fun. The autocross was quite fun and I thought the car held it's own despite being low on power.

Here's the issues I am facing now:
    The car is eating injectors, on the way home from NG, about 10 miles south of Toledo, 2 injectors decided it was time to let go. So I am getting fed up with trying to track down SOHC injectors (yes they are different) I am converting my plenum to a DOHC plenum as well as the lower intake manifold to a DOHC lower intake manifold. I was doing some searching and found that the 3.5L Diamante intake plenum is driver's side throttle, so that makes my piping much easier to run for the turbo. I also have a set of NA injectors made for the DOHC which I am going to hopefully install when I get the manifolds switched out.

The turbo I am eyeing is a Garrett 55 trim. It is vband and externally gated. I am looking for a fabricator to make the exhaust manifolds, but I may have a source.

I need to look at injectors, resistors, fuel pump, and flashable 99 ECU and convert it to OBD1.

I will keep you guys updated!

Edit: I found my manifold that will work... The avenger 2.5L V6 SOHC intake plenum looks the same as the NA plenum except throttle body mounts on the driver's side. I was going to go with the Spirit/Shadow/Caravan manifold, but then I would need to replace the lower intake manifold with a Spirit/Shadow/Caravan manifold because of the runners.
    Last edited by Boost4VR4; 06-27-2012 at 11:19 AM.
    Your 1993 Dodge Stealth is one of 6351 that received VIN numbers. Based on the order of the serial numbers, your car was the 5212nd out of the 6351 that were made that year.
    Your car was built in the 3rd week of February 1993. Of the 47380 vehicles made at the Nayoga plant, your car was the 40537th vehicle to be created that year.
    There are 281 other cars that were made with both the same interior and exterior color. There are 779 cars with the same exterior color and 2316 cars with the same interior color.
    Note: The production order is assigned based on the order of the serial number.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Amphiron's Avatar
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I won't hate but please don't replace your transmission with another NA 5 speed. You should be able to find some manifolds on ebay pretty cheap.

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    No SOHC injectors are not different. Its year stuff that is different. I have DOHC injectors in my SOHC and they popped right in.

If I recall a DOHC intake mani doesn't line up with a SOHC intake mani.

EDIT:

DOHC intake mani definitely will NOT work on a SOHC. DOHC lower intake is different because of intake ports on SOHC heads. DOHC upper intake won't bolt to SOHC lower intake due to difference in port design.

SOHC intake gaskets

DOHC intake gaskets
    Last edited by stealthee; 06-26-2012 at 07:40 PM.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Forum User verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Amphiron's Avatar
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Well Kevin, if you want you can buy my heads. Too bad you didn't post that like 2 hours before.
    Actually maybe I don't know here is another set from another MFG for SOHC gaskets
    Last edited by Amphiron; 06-26-2012 at 09:08 PM.

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    You can't even use DOHC heads on a SOHC block. SOHC doesn't have the proper mounting points for the DOHC timing set up.

-Driftus Maximus- Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I'm in for the details on this and hope it works out well for you bud.
    1st place NG12 - Drags FWD 3S. 16.764 @ 83.88mph
    2nd place NG13 - Drags FWD 3S. 18.862 @ 75.62mph (with spun bearing)

'92 Stealth ES
    '95 Stealth R/T
    '93 3000GT VR4

I don't own a VR4! Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    If you flip over the SOHC gaskets you can see they line up, the ports are off a bit though... I will have to cotemplate this issue... I think it could be made to work if I install a metal spacer that has the port differences milled out on the top and the bottom. My biggest concern is finding an intake plenum that is driver's side that bolts up to the lower intake manifold.

Member Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Use the manifold from the shadow/spirit, can be flipped either way.

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Well, I was just going to say TT swap it with dohc heads and boost built bottom end, then you can use an avenger/sebring/stratus intake off the v6 (6g73 engine)- but that may be cheapening the experience of your build.

also for a tranny, swap to the fwd auto, may not be as fun, but has been proven over and over to handle 550-600 fwhp with an oil cooler. sadly the fwd 5 speeds are weak.

heres the intake setup off my own single setup when it was being fabbed, but its for a 6g72tt dohc:

Last edited by arm0red1; 06-27-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Hx52 billet 67mm comp wheel, 350Z headers, Custom 4" exhaust, STM avenger intake mod, Denso 1250's, twin walbro 400's, dual pump/dual feed braided lines from tank to rails,Tial 50mm BOV, Tial 60mm wg, Spec 4+ with hub welded and balanced, Rays Bellhousing brace, flash ECU with openport 2.0 tune, MSD coils with KB boost a spark, MSD race ignition wires, Odyssey PC680, CX racing fmic 1000hp core 28x12x4, ABS delete, EGR delete, AC delete, cruise delete, pansy patrol pulley reduction, Vac reduction

10. The Following User Says Thank You to arm0red1 For This Useful Post:

-Driftus Maximus- Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Those auto trans cars are FAST!!

Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast