Thread: GI: Ultimate Data System

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

GI: Ultimate Data System

Alright guys, im going to start this off with a disclaimer: You wont see this for at minimum, a full years time.

Im basically going to be doing the foundation of this product for my senior design project, so its not so much that I wont be making this, just whether or not it will go commercial.

Concept:
    The idea here is to have an affordable fully modular data system and logger with some real time read out options. The unit will be an independent system that logs runs on its own, which can then be downloaded to a computer for analysis via easy to use, but extensive, custom software.

The system will have a ton of pluggable sensors that record all sorts of things on the car. Possibilities for integrating with widebands, temp, obb, etc is a possibility. All the sensors will just plug into an array and will be recognized automatically, regardless of where they were plugged in etc. They will also come standard with non-permanent mounting methods. As new sensors are created firmware updates will be available and easily downloaded.

The whole thing will have a touch OLED screen as a "gauge" that will be super bright, providing real time graphs of up to four sensors. Example: Instead of just a number (which you will also see), you can see how fast your brakes rose in that last corner, how fast they cool during the straight away, all in real time. Now you can see where brake fade is occurring, learn to conserve your brakes, and modify things to help decrease it.

Some Sensor Ideas Just so you see this isnt your standard OBD logger
    Brake Caliper Temperature
    Tire Temperature
    Intercooler Before/After Temps
    Suspension Travel
    Chassis Flex
    Individual Wheel Speed (good for launches, traction in turns, etc)
    Accelerometers
    Whatever Else I Can Think Of

The Market
    - Regular Track Users (road course, auto cross, rally, drag, circle, etc)
    - Hardcore Racers
    - Performance Shops
    - Normal Enthusiasts (see later)

The Point
    Think those new brake ducts you just made from home depot supplies are really doing anything? Wondering if you can actually squeeze bigger tires in there without rubbing? Is that strut bar just dead weight?

I think you get the point. The market is saturated with everything but numbers. Butt-dyno's and "Yeah the car feels stiffer" doesnt mean squat. This will also allow you to tune little things that before were just hit and miss.

The Hook
    (Heres where your every day user comes in) This will be available for purchase OR FOR RENT. Just chose what sensors you want, pick the dates and the price will based how many sensors and on a weekly/monthly rate. Full out professional systems of this caliper have costs in the thousands, making it completely inaccessible to most of the people here, ie: "normal enthusiasts", not to mention the weekend racer who's wife is already upset with how much he spends on his car. Software will come free

I really want to make this accessible ($$), as most systems that Ive found that compare arent a reality for most, especially when that money could be spent elsewhere.

Now
    Since we are so early in the game on this one, i'd love some feedback. Is anyone even remotely interested? What would you guys like to get out of this if it were to happen? (specifics and generals are fine). Id love to here from ye old average tuner just as much as some of the more intense auto enthusiasts.

Thanks
    Last edited by x2percentmilk; 09-21-2010 at 02:56 AM.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since
    4/2010

Thanks
    sounds like an expanded motec like the big time racers use,, deffinately cool as hell tho and deff gl with it tho love to see how this pans out ... dnt see a need for it on my dd na stealth but when i get my vr4 or rt tt id lvoe to have one... how long would it continue to collect n store data for ?

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    itd all be stored on an sd card, so it could go for quite a long time.

rawr. verified
    Owner Since
    August 2009

Thanks
    Interested!!!!!
    vroom vroom i drive a 93 toyota mr2.

https://car.social

Motivated Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Depending on cost, I would also like to see gps compatibility. I got to play with a cool OLED screen tactical data computer in the navy. It had link16 capability if we had line of site. Super cool screen with lots of potential.

Could it be used to link with AEM sensors? Or are they all standalone? Is it expandable?
    3.5 Stroker, E-85, Twin 5758's

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    GPS is definitely an option. Any sensor could be used as long as it has a 0-5V output, which im positive all AEM's do.
    Last edited by x2percentmilk; 10-13-2010 at 09:29 AM.

Motivated Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    What is the timeframe on this? Is it just an idea, or have you started mocking things up already?

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Ill have a working system for at least chassis flex by may, as that will most likely be my senior design project, so a complete commercial version wouldn't be ready for a few months after. Ive got some other ideas for you guys cooking up too so prioritizing everything (including school and work) is really the only delay.