Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 396

Thread: It is time for my comeback... 2000-2500lb cornerweighed 3/S and 1000hp motor

  1. #41
    1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Owner Since
    Birth

    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,077
    Thanks
    649
    Thanked 451 Times in 347 Posts
    Now that car is gutted! lol

    Congrats on the bonus check and your new child.

    Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

  2. #42
    Banned J. Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    - O - SIX -

    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    2,711
    Thanks
    405
    Thanked 200 Times in 140 Posts
    Once I finish up with the seam welds I'll be moving right into a base coat of primer and straight into the cage. It's all going to happen in a very short period of time. I spent a few hours playing with the design and I think this is pretty close to what I'm going to be going with. It's based off of lots of feedback from several rally drivers and a WyoTech chassi dynamics side impact deformation study.



    That's pretty much it for now. The only thing I might change is deleting the front subframe all together. I may come thru the firewall with a bar to post the rear motormount. I'll make an on the fly when I open the A-pilliars for plating.

    Motor's right behind this. Gary Melcher and Hal Landry building. Myself supervising.

    Talk to ya'll when I get more stuff done. Next two weeks should be really interesting... Guess we'll see what's up and how to build a winning car quick ehh Adam?

  3. #43
    Forum User Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2005

    Posts
    322
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Fast View Post
    Grab four Blair Spotweld Cutting flutes, (5) three packs of 3/8" double spot weld cutter refills, a BFH, punch, and (10) 1/8" carbide drill bits for drilling pilot holes/dimpling. Gloves and glasses... there's 2000+ spotwelds to go-to-town on.
    Thanks for the info, I doubt I will go as far as you are but always nice to see I can without any issue of flex. My drill is going to hate life. Any new info on that carbon fiber door GB?

    Current:
    1972 Chevy Nova
    2004 Ford F350 Lariat 6.0L
    1991 Stealth TT FWD
    1962 Volkswagen Beetle

    Previous:
    1994 Stealth RT/TT
    1999 3000gt SL
    1973 Volkswagen Super Beetle
    1976 Jaguar XJ6
    1991 Chevy S10
    2000 Ford focus

  4. #44
    I don't bite
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2001

    Location
    Southern IN
    Posts
    1,996
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 98 Times in 80 Posts
    Quick work on the chassis so far!

    Maybe I missed it, but what is the plan for the motor/turbo setup? Staying 3.0 or going stroker?
    1992 Kilder Green VR4 - First 4G swap in a 3S. 2.0, auto, awd. 9.65 at 143mph. Now LS swapped. 8.52 at 162.

  5. #45
    Forum User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2002

    Posts
    1,668
    Thanks
    514
    Thanked 388 Times in 259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Fast View Post
    Talk to ya'll when I get more stuff done. Next two weeks should be really interesting... Guess we'll see what's up and how to build a winning car quick ehh Adam?
    It's still nothing but hopes and dreams.
    '93 VR4 | 10.57 @ 135 on C16 | 11.29 @ 125 on 93 | ~3275 lbs

  6. #46
    Member Not Verified
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Owner Since
    2003

    Posts
    2,062
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 272 Times in 206 Posts
    On the FIA bars, you want the rear upper side to be tied in higher than that. Shoulder height, as they tie into the harness bar which has to be so high. The diaginal bars behind the driver must to from the upper corner, not midway up the main hoop as illustrated. The forward bars to the strut towers are also more complicated and heavy than they need to be, 2 bars foward and one diaginal (if that one fits) is more than sufficient. I also recommend a change to V style roof bars instead of X. If this is truely going to be a rally build, consider a "supernode" cage design rather than a hoop-and-halo design.

    Also, deleting the front subframe probably isn't the best idea, don't forget the steering rack has to mount to something and still be removable.

  7. #47
    Forum User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    07

    Location
    houston, texas
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Hmm interesting subscribed.
    texas members


    92 vr4
    under going some serious spark plugs..

  8. #48
    Forum User verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Owner Since
    2005

    Posts
    459
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Interesting to see what you are going to do with no subframe. How are you going to mount the lower control arm and such? Are u going to mount SLA Suspension like you talked about? Can't wait to see this done. Post as many pictures as you can since your car is going to be a beast hihi. Are you going to cut the front of the car like ams evo or Nelson or STM stealth? If you remove the fuel tank then you can make nice diffuser for the rear bumper.
    Also you are not going to remove the tunnel welded over the lower tunnel?
    Look at STM stealth if you haven't seen it yet. They took stuff out that i didn't know existed lol. They even removed stuff from the roof, but it's possible because it has sunroof.
    http://www.3sgto.org/f2/2011-stm-ste...de-2731-6.html
    Last edited by mehrshadvr4; 12-25-2011 at 04:46 PM.

  9. #49
    Banned J. Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    - O - SIX -

    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    2,711
    Thanks
    405
    Thanked 200 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anyonebutme View Post
    On the FIA bars, you want the rear upper side to be tied in higher than that. Shoulder height, as they tie into the harness bar which has to be so high. The diaginal bars behind the driver must to from the upper corner, not midway up the main hoop as illustrated. The forward bars to the strut towers are also more complicated and heavy than they need to be, 2 bars foward and one diaginal (if that one fits) is more than sufficient. I also recommend a change to V style roof bars instead of X. If this is truely going to be a rally build, consider a "supernode" cage design rather than a hoop-and-halo design.

    Also, deleting the front subframe probably isn't the best idea, don't forget the steering rack has to mount to something and still be removable.
    Alright, if I go "V" which way do I want it facing or does it matter? Not really worried about the steering rack or subframe. The rack has what, 4 bolts? I can fab a simple support out of pencil rod and 1/4" plate if need be.

    I'll talk with my crew on the FIA bar recc's and see what they say.

    Quote Originally Posted by mehrshadvr4 View Post
    Interesting to see what you are going to do with no subframe. How are you going to mount the lower control arm and such? Are u going to mount SLA Suspension like you talked about? Can't wait to see this done. Post as many pictures as you can since your car is going to be a beast hihi. Are you going to cut the front of the car like ams evo or Nelson or STM stealth? If you remove the fuel tank then you can make nice diffuser for the rear bumper.
    Also you are not going to remove the tunnel welded over the lower tunnel?
    Look at STM stealth if you haven't seen it yet. They took stuff out that i didn't know existed lol. They even removed stuff from the roof, but it's possible because it has sunroof.
    http://www.3sgto.org/f2/2011-stm-ste...de-2731-6.html
    I've seen Austins build thread as well as Nelsons build threads. I tend to fall along the same path as Austin in a sense. Use more intelligence than $$ to come up with acceptable solutions. I suppose you could say they'll be some back and forth information sharing going on. I dont think he took his chassi down to the skin, as I didn't take my doors down to the skin (till I saw he did it). Now that we both know you can do do both without sacrificing anything and most importantly the chassi will remain true, that's really a big stride.

    As far as the drivetrain tunnel and the floor, I'm going to keep those in place. The cab floor is the portion of the chassi that tends to spend the most time in absorbtion in the event of a collision. It's generally the first chassi envoronment involved with the deformation process and so the floor and drivetrain tunnels are pretty much the only part of a chassi you don't want to "f with" unless you're adding to them. Although I didn't depict them, I'll be adding floor cross supports that extend from the frame rails across the cab, and also adding a CF layer to the floor. The intent of those modifications is to slow the drivers cab deformation process and to aid in controlling the intrusion depth into the cab in the event of a side collision with a tree or blunt unforgiving object.

    I was actually considering cutting the rear wheel wells at top centerline and building a sheet metal tunnel which extends to the rear bumper for some aero. I'm thinking it would work wonders for tire scatter.

    A lot of this will just boil down to how far I want to take it. I cant really describe what the end 'look' will be. It all just boils down to me and what I want to do because I can. I'm not really trying to pave a new road or do anything different than STM was. I'm just going to put my own spin on it. I'm not really worried about subframe or mounts, or anything that involves metal for that matter. Ryerson Metals account, Dencol Metal and Machine acct, lathe, mandrel bender, BAF'n welder, AWS master fabricator / welders...all at my disposal and etc. I can buy, make, or have made, whatever the hell I want .

  10. #50
    Forum User verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Owner Since
    2005

    Posts
    459
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    i wasn't trying to say you should do what STM did to their cars. i know you know what you are doing. since you said 2000-2500lbs i was thinking you are going the same road as STM. it does make sense about the stiffness of the car while crashing. i guess i payed too much attention about saving weight that i didn't think of the car in side crash. i though cage always took care of both side and roll over crashes. i can't find any picture of the diffuser i saw on a r32 GTR but i saw on speed chanel that they were working on r32 gtr time attack car and there was a bumper made for that car the required cutting the bottom of the trunk to make it fit since it was since it was so high. not this but something similar to this. do you think this is possible and worth doing on a 3/s?
    http://www.tunersgroup.com/images/image2374.html

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive
Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering