wish i had the time to do things like this. Looks awesome good luck!
Ill stick with my heavy "street car" for now.
wish i had the time to do things like this. Looks awesome good luck!
Ill stick with my heavy "street car" for now.
1992 Dodge Stealth RT TT (41,968 Original Miles)
Corn Fed
Mods: 3.5L, TD05 14B's, 2.5" Barrel style Water/Air intercooler, 1600cc injectors, AEM EMS v2, Dual 255lph pumps, 3sx pulley
Maybe a big money 3S lover can commission Kirkham to do a CNC'd chassis like Larry Ellison had them do his Cobra . . .
The Art of Engineering
If you've never had the pleasure of reading through AOE (the book Kirkham put together about the build), carve out a good 6 hours (picture gazing is easy in this one) and grab a nice bottle of red. It's easily one the most incredible fabrication jobs I've ever seen.
Last edited by TonyM; 12-22-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Tony M.
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland - There's Only One.
1995 Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo - Gone but not forgotten . . .
“The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the presidency. It will be easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their president. The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of what ails us. Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. The republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president.” -- Author Unknown
OMG that is awesome!
Ported heads, IPS 2mm oversized valves, Delta 264/272 cams, 3SX High rev valve springs, 3SX cam gears,
Merkel 6g72 3.5L BILLET crank stroker (going in this summer), 3sx poly motor mounts
IPS EvoIII turbo kit, HKS SSQV bov, ETS anodized FMIC, AEM intake filters, Tanabe Turbo Back Concept G Blue Exhaust,
HKS DLI, Ultra spark plug wires, Denso iridium IK24 spark plugs,
JSPEC trans, Ultimate Performance short throw shifter, Spec carbon twin disk clutch, PST aluminum 2 piece drive shaft,
Denso Supra fuel pump, RC 750cc fuel injectors, AEM Fuel pressure regulator,
AEM wideband & boost gauge, AEM EMS in speed density,
Addco sway bars, DBA 4000 drilled & slotted rotors, Enkei PF01 18x9 +45, BFGoodrich g-froce KDW 245/40/R18
Great work following your passion but I have to admit, I'd have just bought an Ariel Atom...
Current Car:
2011 Chevrolet Corvette GrandSport
Cars Owned:
1992 Dodge Stealth RT (sold)
1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 #1 (parted)
1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 #2 (sold)
1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 #1 (KIA)
1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 #2 (sold)
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 (sold)
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT Base - awd/atx (sold)
1997 Mitsubishi 3000gt VR4 (sold)
2006 Pontiac GTO (sold/traded)
2008 Chevrolet Corvette 3LT (z51)
More progress... I think I have 10 panels left to remove. Two web gussets on the drivers side, two on the passenger side, the passenger side tunnel, the passenger tunnel web, the lower windshield apron/plenum, and bother dirver and passenger side lower A-pilliar covers (so I can post my cage in the front on the frame rails). When I wrap that up I'll be removing all the seam sealer to expose the seams for welding.
In the picture below you can see the drivers side tunnel is removed. If you look closer, there's nothing under the tunnel at the A-Pilliar. No reinforcement channel, web, box plate, or anything. However, there is a web support under the drivers side tunnel that runs centerline on the tunnel that spans from the firewall to the first seat mounting web, examining closely you can see the line of spotwelds. So just FYI to guys out there with cages posted in the corner... There ain't shit there! The 3/S so called "unibody" frame is actually supported by two parallel rails located under the doors, there is nothing structural about the floor. Some of you folks reading this or who know someone with a cage posted on the floor should consider fixing it. It would suck to have it crush an additional 3" because there's nothing but air under the tunnels on the floor at the A-pilliar.
Frame is still as square and straight as it was when I started. I even dropped it onto the suspension to see if it would flex or move under it's own weight. It didn't budge. I'm confident if I were to do this again, I could do it with all four tires on the ground and get the same result.
Got my Argon tank swapped out at Air Gas today. Drove to the office to write a check for a personal purchase on company account and the owner of our company said, "keep it, and take this bonus check with you!" He also gave me our AWS Level III for 3 days to double check my work. Today was a good day, F'N Saweet!
With any luck I'll be welding by next Wednesday. If I'm not it's because Alli and I are having #2, another boy! His name will be Landon.
Happy holidays fellas,
More later, cheers...
Lookin good. I didn't know you and Alli were expecting already... you guys sure didn't waste any time haha.
Any chance this beast is going to have a passenger seat?![]()
I had to cut it out till I found something solid to anchor baseplates for the cage to. I had to remove 37 panels to get to the frame. The frame is where I'll post my cage. I will be adding weight back in for strengthening weak spots. That will happen once I get to the tunnel seams and can weld my way out.
Grab four Blair Spotweld Cutting flutes, (5) three packs of 3/8" double spot weld cutter refills, a BFH, punch, and (10) 1/8" carbide drill bits for drilling pilot holes/dimpling. Gloves and glasses... there's 2000+ spotwelds to go-to-town on.
Yessir! There's going to be a Nav seat!
P.S. I'm dedicating this build to Landon, and gave the other to Roman. Their childhood rivalry will be fierce. Single vs. TT LOL!
|
3000gt.com 3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop |
|
Team 3S 3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information daveblack.net |
|
Michigan 3S MInnesota 3S Wisconsin 3S Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S |
North California 3000GT/Stealth United Society of 3S Owners 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums 3000GT/Stealth International |
|
3S National Gathering East Coast Gathering Upper Mid-West Gathering Blue Ridge Gathering |
Bookmarks