I've considered carbon fiber doors, and even threw some money to the breeze for them. After doing some homework for them I don't think they're a good idea at all actually.
I have a cousin who lives in Seattle. He works for an aerodynamics specialty group for Boeing. Last time he came out to visit I explained to him my CF door plans. He basically told me carbon fiber and fiber based structural material has outstanding "on axis" impact deformation strength. In simple english terms, you can impact it on a perpendicular plane with a hammer and it will bounce. If you hit it really really hard it just tears and delaminates.
The scary part is un-impacted "off axis" stress. Say you to try and strech it, bend it, hit it on it's parallel axis, or compress it off plane. Well, it explodes! When it explodes it splinters really really bad. For illustation purposes, should you have a compressive impact on the door you'd basically be firing a porcupine out of a cannon inside the cab. Put that type of structure right next to your body and.... Metal, while it's heavier, stays consolidated and doesn't splinter and explode into 1000 chards per square foot.
It's XXS (double extra strong) so it's pretty heavy.
Last night I weighed the following removed from my drivers side door:
1) Glass = 11 lbs
2) Door bar = 13lbs
3) Window tracks, guides, motor, and all mounting hardware = 11 lbs
4) Door wiring harness and auto lock assembly = 3lbs
WOW! That is a thick bar! Can you measure the thickness for me? I'm just curious what they used for door bar supports. One other thing to note is the doors have catch locking latches on them as well. When the door is hit, it stretches inward and there is a U catch that holds the door in place. (in theory anyway) It's that latch looking thing just above the pin on the door frame and you'll see its mate on the door side. I have yet to pull anything from my door other than the door card itself. Still have the power windows. It's always nice when it starts to sprinkle and I look over at one of the windowless cars and laugh as the window rolls up. That's fun.... (warmer too)
I think you're cousin may be describing something similar to this...
Doors, hatches, fenders, hoods, are most likely no where near the quality we see in the above video. None of my carbon is true dry, kiln cured. It's mostly laid wet and room temp cured. I can't imagine the doors being a super high end process either. Probably the closest thing we have to that would be the drive shafts, but even they "broom" when their flexural limit is compromised. I'm curious what process they use for those.
www.stickyvinylgraphics.com
Custom Stickers & Graphics
www.chumpcar.com
Regional Series Promoter for the ChumpCar World Series
Good video Erron. Very good illustration of what Josh was describing to me. The F1 car model you linked to uses a 2' carbon fiber "off axis" crumple zone for the front end. Behind the crumple zone is an aluminum armor plate. The plate prevents the fractured chards from penetrating the fuseloge when the carbon fiber deforms and splinters.
Same case for the side impact... The crumple zone is carbon fiber (shaped in an arch, a shape we discussed in great length as far as strength) but the fuseloge is aluminum. Watch the impact footage a few times in slow motion and look at the debris field tracking. It's basically a shotgun blast in the impact direction. You can actually see the blast splinters bounce off the exterior of the aluminum fuseloge.
Watch that a few times and think about it for awhile. In the case of going with carbon fiber doors it's just the door and then your body. No CF door I know of comes with an aluminum plate on the backside for blast protection. The F1 car has one though, the fuseloge.
To answer your question on the door bar wall thickness. I mic'd it and determined the pipe diameter is 3.6mm +/-
Last edited by J. Fast; 01-18-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Carbon fibre - F1technical.net
The Official Formula 1 Website
I think you may be thinking of the aluminum honeycomb material. The building techniques have improved so much over the last few years (decade or two), they use less and less of that every year, some not at all. (typically only flat surfaces like the floorboard)
But again, the doors wouldn't be made anywhere near this level. I doubt we'd have anything remotely close to a "shattering" effect. It would do what your hood did, break, but for the most part stay together. In all honesty, a side impact of this level from another car and the door would be the last of my worries. Knee, ankle, hands, elbows, that's the part that gets hurt from hitting hard surfaces inside the car. (that's if the head restraint and helmet, window net, proper padding on the cage, seat and belts all function correctly)
Definatly want to see how light we can get
What fuel lines? Lightest you can use? and still be track legal...
-Chris
|
3000gt.com 3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop |
|
Team 3S 3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information daveblack.net |
|
Michigan 3S MInnesota 3S Wisconsin 3S Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S |
North California 3000GT/Stealth United Society of 3S Owners 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums 3000GT/Stealth International |
|
3S National Gathering East Coast Gathering Upper Mid-West Gathering Blue Ridge Gathering |
Bookmarks