Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable Cam Gears worth it?

Forum User verified Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks

Adjustable Cam Gears worth it?

Hey guys i have been looking at adjustable cam gears and im wondering if they are worth it and which type / brand is best. There is really only 3sx's version and fidanza's version from what ive seen. I really hate 3sx but i will bite the bullet if they are the better product. Let me know what you guys think, thanks

Mods: Evo3 16G turbo's, Titan manifolds, 680cc Denso's, ARC2 w/ large MAS, FMIC, TiAL BOV, DR Stage III heads, AC Delete, Flex-A-Lite fans, 25 row oil cooler,

I AM IMPORT POWER Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Yes, they are worth it. Why would you think they are not? They increase the power output of the engine.

-Chris

Member Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    More importantly, why in the hell would you hate 3sx? They are one of the backbones of this whole platform...

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaroth View Post
    More importantly, why in the hell would you hate 3sx? They are one of the backbones of this whole platform...
    PM sent

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Import Power View Post
    Yes, they are worth it. Why would you think they are not? They increase the power output of the engine.

-Chris
    No i dont not think there worth it, i just have never owned a set so i wasnt sure, just wanted to ask before i bought something. Which version do you like better 3sx's or the fidanza? Thanks

LW fears my posts Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since
    1996, 1st Stealth TT; 2000, current TT

Thanks
    I have the Fidanza, and paid the original price of $400 for them. IMO there were better ways to spend the money on performance stuff, obviously exhaust, intake, etc should go first. That said, for the price 3SX is selling their set, I think you'd be happy with them. I can't tell too much of a difference with my setup, but years ago I did several runs on a GTech with stock settings and with the +1, -3 settings, and I was consistently at least .1 faster in the quarter on every run, sometimes .2

The old UR set was definitely not worth it at $800 a set.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UTRacerX9 View Post
    I have the Fidanza, and paid the original price of $400 for them. IMO there were better ways to spend the money on performance stuff, obviously exhaust, intake, etc should go first. That said, for the price 3SX is selling their set, I think you'd be happy with them. I can't tell too much of a difference with my setup, but years ago I did several runs on a GTech with stock settings and with the +1, -3 settings, and I was consistently at least .1 faster in the quarter on every run, sometimes .2

The old UR set was definitely not worth it at $800 a set.

I have quite a few other mods done already so im really down to only a few things left to do. I need to get my sig straightened out.

Forum User Feedback Score 0 pos-vr4's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    As discussed on other threads that Chris (and others) has posted on other boards, the 6g72 will suffer from timing issues after the engines have machine work done.

so, to be able to have the capability to correct the timing and then adjust the gears to make optimum power is worth the $$$.

I recently built a 2.4 big block Evo stroker that had HKS cam gears, and with the many variables in the deck height of the build, without adjustable gears it would have been impossible to get the motor running properly.

One fix at a time verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) TurboSinceBirth's Avatar
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The 3SX cam gears don't slip like the Fidanzas do. I like them and they're definitely lighter than the stock ones when you hold one in each hand. I did not compensate for my decked heads though so it'll probably be an issue I'll have to fix sometime.
    95 RT/TT Billet TD04s E70, DW1000cc injectors, ARC-2 with 92mm maf, 3SX fuel rail loop, hotwired Walbro 416/485, 3" FMIC, single small Krank vent, DR 3.5" downpipe and cat-back, DNP 02 housings, Hallman Pro MBC, BlackStealth LCDBC, AEM wideband, AEM oil pressure, Apexi S1 coilovers with SCE EVO 8/9 adapters, 3SX adjustable control arms, Spec 3+ clutch, Maximal solids/3SX poly motor mounts, Setrab custom SMOC, stock motor 127k miles, stock drivetrain.

I AM IMPORT POWER Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboSinceBirth View Post
    The 3SX cam gears don't slip like the Fidanzas do. I like them and they're definitely lighter than the stock ones when you hold one in each hand. I did not compensate for my decked heads though so it'll probably be an issue I'll have to fix sometime.
    Yep, what you said.

-Chris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast