Thread: bad o2 causing lopey idle?

Owner Since
    Mid-April 2011.

Thanks

bad o2 causing lopey idle?

Finally got a datalogger about a week ago, and I have been using it like crazy. Everything on my car checks out but my o2 sensor. Datalogger shows 4.98v non stop for my o2. So I assume its bad.

Here's my side effects.
    MPG.....not too bad, I think it may be just how I drive. Its unconsistant with 18-25mpg
    Does not like to move very far when its cold
    Lopey idle....very lopey....it sounds very sexy and a lot of people ask if I have aftermarket cams.

I tell them I'm not sure.... motor was replaced. And the cams in it are not originally from that motor that is all I know.

Idle is pretty steady at 850 rpms. The lopey idle is very consistant. Doesn't feel like a miss...big difference between the lopeyness and when I kill a cylinder or 2 with the datalogger.

Car drives fine. Drive it everyday, pulls good when I want it too and cruises smoothly.
    Car has had this lopey idle since the day I fired it up. No cel for o2. Maybe I just have cams. I'm going to do waterpump soon, I plan to measure the cams out and that will settle it. I installed wideband to hook up the wbo2 in place of the factory and the wbo2 is also shot. Going to order a new one.

Better than that "other" place Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    First thing that I don't understand is why your logger shows 5V on a 1V narrowband O2 sensor. Additionally, you didn't specify if your car is a VR4 or NA. Based on the wing in your avatar, it appears to be an NA, and thus why you've only stated O2 sensor and not sensors? Am I correct?

Cold conditions are likely to not be an O2 sensor as the car has probably not entered closed loop yet. You can you the logger to verify this though.

You also have stated that you installed a wideband. Does this mean you are no longer using the narrowband at all? Does this mean that your PCM is no longer receiving any O2 feedback? You need to specify.

Vacuum reduction, Powdercoated misc, cruise relocate, Evo9 BOV, Custom catch cans, Russell fuel filter, SS braided fuel lines, High flow fuel loop, Autogage fuel gauge, Catless DP, DNP Y-pipe, Fuel pump hotwire.

Owner Since
    Mid-April 2011.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by x2xtreme360 View Post
    First thing that I don't understand is why your logger shows 5V on a 1V narrowband O2 sensor. Additionally, you didn't specify if your car is a VR4 or NA. Based on the wing in your avatar, it appears to be an NA, and thus why you've only stated O2 sensor and not sensors? Am I correct?

Cold conditions are likely to not be an O2 sensor as the car has probably not entered closed loop yet. You can you the logger to verify this though.

You also have stated that you installed a wideband. Does this mean you are no longer using the narrowband at all? Does this mean that your PCM is no longer receiving any O2 feedback? You need to specify.
    Yes I'm n/a single sensor. I assumed reading 5v shows the sensor is shot. The other o2 readout shows 0.01v constantly. I'm assuming that's cause the other sensor just isn't there since I'm n/a.

Yes. My original intent was to replaced the narrow band with the wideband sensor and do away with the narrow band. The innovate lc1 wideband manual tells u how to do this so u can run the wideband and have it also sending data to the ecu. As oppose to running to o2 sensors (one wide and one narrow) in ur downpipe.

I never got as far as removing the narrow band o2 from the downpipe and installing the wbo2 tho because the I found out that the wbo2 was bad when I was calabrating it.

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since
    '09

Thanks
    I'm willing to bet that MMCd is showing the bad sensor as 0.01, and is just filling in the other bank with the 5v value.

Ether way, you can replace it with a stock sensor or use the 0-1V output from the wideband and splice into the harness.

Owner Since

Thanks
    OK. Makes more sense now. I use the Innovate as well, but I've never tried to narrowband sim mode. Maybe something for me to do down the line.

Here's a theory that I've put some research in. Many Chrysler vehicles (remember, Chrysler did have SOMETHING to do with our cars) actually have a 5V reference from the PCM for diagnostic purposes only. I am going to take a wild guess and say that our cars have a 5V reference for the o2 signal circuit. I've searched the manual up and down in the description and operation as well as the circuit diagrams for any hints, but of course it doesn't mention if the PCM supplies a 5V reference to the o2 sensor.

Assuming that it DOES do this, you have an open circuit somewhere in the o2 signal circuitry. It would be in either the signal+, signal-, or the o2 sensor itself.

If our PCM does NOT supply a 5V reference to the o2 sensor, you most likely have a short to 5V somewhere in the wiring. This would be unlikely though.

The easiest way to check if the PCM supplies 5V out to the o2 sensor is to probe the PCM and find out.

Owner Since
    Mid-April 2011.

Thanks
    hmmm either way, would the O2 cause this idle? it sounds kool, not gonna lie.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Highly doubtful that an o2 sensor would cause a car to sound cammed.

Owner Since
    Mid-April 2011.

Thanks
    What r other problems to consider? Ecu was rebuilt about year ago. No vacuum leaks. No cel.

I guess I just need to take my cams and measure them out