Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How To: Installing Corbeau Seats

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks

How To: Installing Corbeau Seats

I just got done installing some Corbeau LG1 seats. I figured I'd take some pix and write a short how to in case anyone was interested in the process. I purchased 1 set of LG1 seats in blue/black cloth w/lumbar support & 1 pair of double locking sliders.

I'm going to assume you have the ability to remove the stock seats. If you don't, then you should pay someone to do this install.

tools required: #2 phillips screw driver, 17mm socket, 14mm deep socket & 6mm hex (allen key), 2 zip ties, wire snips
    tools maybe required: dremel, prybar
    tools optional: 14mm ratchet wrench,

so this is what it should look like with the seat out. make sure you vacuum the carpet or clean it if necessary. I found all sorts of gross stuff under my seats. You don't need to remove the rear seat. I was running wires for a stereo system, so that's why mine is out. Make sure you don't just yank the seat out. There's a harness under there you need to disconnect.

Once you have the seat out, you'll want to detach the seat belt buckle and the wiring harness. The harness is for the seat belt signal. Remove the 2 phillips screws off the plastic cover. Then take your wire snips and cut the two zip ties holding the harness to the seat.

Now take your 17mm socket and remove the buckle from the seat.

You can choose to try mounting the bracket into the car prior to attaching the seat belt to the Corbeau bracket. It doesn't make a difference.

Reuse the 17mm bolt from the original seat and install the buckle into the bracket.

Zip tie the harness to the bracket making sure you snake it under the bracket and in front of the rear leg. You will want to test fit the bracket at this point, making sure that the 2 rear 14mm bolts will install and you can tighten them down. I had to modify both brackets for mine to fit properly. I didn't use spacers like I've seen other people do. With just the bracket in there, it will look like that inner corner sits higher, but once it's bolted down, the seat is level. I will say on the driver side, I had to use a longer 14mm bolt to start the threads since the oem one just wouldn't catch it. This is also the point where you should do any modification to the bracket if necessary. I used a dremel with a carbide bit. I highly recommend the carbide bits. grinding bits will take hours to cut enough bracket material to make it fit.

Now, take out the slider/bracket and attach it to the seat. There are 4 6mm allen bolts attached to the seat already. Remove those to use to attach the brackets. I didn't take a pic of the bracket holes, but there are 2 types of holes in the bracket. The front side of the bracket has 1 round hole and 1 oval hole. You attach the bracket using the oval hole. The rear is attached using the round hole. You will need to slide the bracket front or back to access the corresponding holes. When attaching the brackets to the seats, do not tighten the bolts down until they are all threaded.

NOTE: IF THE BRACKET DOES NOT LINE UP WITH THE HOLE, DO NOT FORCE THE BOLTS INTO PLACE. You'll be very sorry if you do. If for some reason they don't line up (my driver side didn't line up), you need to loosen the nylon locknut to get some play in the bracket. You may need to loosen 1 or both, perhaps even all 4 to get the holes lined up.

To tighten those locknuts, you'll notice there's no room at all for a wrench in the slider rail. I jammed a prybar in there and put pressure on the bolt while tightening it down. That worked great.

Helpful hint:
    Using the seat you just removed, use it as a holder and flip the Corbeau seat on top of it. Makes it a lot easier to mount the brackets.

Before bolting the seat down, connect the seat belt wire harness. The seats are low enough to make you sorry if you don't connect the harness first.
    Once the brackets are attached, put the seat in the car and bolt it down. That's about it. Enjoy the new seats!
    Last edited by Black_Sunshine; 09-20-2010 at 11:08 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Black_Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Owner Since

Thanks

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Black_Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    great write up... ill bookmark it. i may need it in the future.

btw thank you for helping the community with your write HERE.

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) RealMcCoy's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Looks good Tri... I thought you sold your VR4, did you buy another one?

Real Performance Automotive (541)816-4500 www.FB.com/RealPerformanceAuto

Forum User verified Feedback Score 6 (100%) MADMarc's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Nice! I have been checking out Corbeaus in fear of reupholstering mine to have a motor go. How do they fit in your car? Is it super tight against the door or center console? OOOO! And lastly, just how comfortable are those guys compared the factory? I was checking out the CR-1s before seeing this thread.
    Last edited by MADMarc; 09-18-2010 at 01:54 AM.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Monster Stealth's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Nice setup! I had the same issue with my brackets. The holes just did not line up. I ended up using a step bit from Harbor Freight. It took a matter of seconds at each hole to drill down.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece...lls-91616.html

9B+93-13.2@108
    16G+E85...?

the cake is a lie

Owner Since

Thanks
    Larry, that's the one I sold to my little brother . Since it's still in the family, I still work on it.

Marc, the seats sit inside the car like stock. The spacing is comfortable. I should have also mentioned that the seat being the way it is, it can be a challenge to get in the car. I have to swing my butt in first and then my legs. Comfort wise, I would say a brand new cloth factory seat has more give to it. Keep in mind these seats are "race" seats. They're a bit firmer, but not in any way uncomfortable. I was quite surprised when I drove it to work. It felt great, much better than 19 year old worn out leather seats.

I hesitate to use step bits because they're not meant to be forced sideways to make oval holes. The HF bits are pretty cheap, so that's not a bad option. I do have them, but the metal used on the bracket is somewhat thick and mine are worn out. I found the dremel with carbide works great. It took me about 10 minutes on each bracket to get the holes where I needed them.

Owner Since

Thanks
    I should also say that I've sat in CR1's and they're not near as comfortable as LG1's. They're also ridiculously hard to get out of because the CR1's have a high thigh bolster. I purchased the seats from IPS. Jeff gave me a great deal on everything and shipping was quick from UT to CA. Lastly, this install guide is meant to supplement the factory installation sheet. Please do yourself a favor and read that first.

rawr. verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) Atrosity's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 2009

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ballermj23 View Post
    great write up... ill bookmark it. i may need it in the future.

btw thank you for helping the community with your write HERE.
    You gotta post up your Evo 8 write up on how to install, I have that same plan to do to my car.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 6 (100%) MADMarc's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Thanks for the quick response and opinion on the CR1s. Interesting to hear about the bolsters getting in the way on occasion - I will be sure to check that out when I get serious into shopping for some seats. Now, have you ever sat in the A4s?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast