Thread: too much boost?

too much boost?

Took my car out tonight, it was raining a little bit, seems i was building boost real fast through 2nd and third, with the needle buried in the top of the gauge at about 2300-2500rpm, coming closer to 3000rpm, motor would bog followed by a whooshing sound under the hood. Anyone got any ideas? First time its happaned to me, not sure if it was the raining or that it was sitting for a couple days or what.

Padawan garage troll Not Verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    First thing I would look for is a intake leak. That bogging could be numerous things. Mine ended up being a bad MAS, but bad ECU caps is another common issue. You should also post if you are stock or your mods so people can better help.
    91 AWD TT
    K&N FIPK, Precats gutted, Test Pipe, Blitz DSBC, Walbro 255, Vacuum reduction, SM3, MMCd, Krank Vents, 3SX Aluminum Crank Pulley, Aluminum 2PC DS, MAFT Pro (AFC mode atm).

To do list: Need to check electronic timing, install FP hotwire, install PS poly MM, RUACAs, Setrab oil cooler, Dejon Y-pipe, 3.5 GM Mas, FIC 650ccs & 13Ts.

has an aftermarket intake and exhaust, otherwise stock, rather annoying too since it seems ive got no power with it like this.....really seems like its building boost much to quickly, before this started happening it was a challenge to get the boost that high, and it would pull preatty hard when it did, now it just seems to go all the way up without giving alot of power

The one. The only. verified
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Don't even trust the stock boost gauge since it doesnt really measure boost.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
    Don't even trust the stock boost gauge since it doesnt really measure boost.
    Yeah, stock boost gauge is pretty much worthless. It sort of sounds like you have a boost leak to me. You need a pressure tester. You can also look and see if you have a hose that has blown off.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

VR-3747 :D Not Verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    booooost leak. start looking. make a pressure tester.

stock maf signal is [airflow/rpm]. like they are saying, not actual boost
    rise and rise again until lambs become lions

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    like others have said its a boost leak and most likely a fairly large one if you can hear it.
    buy this 3SX Aluminum Intake Pressure Tester - Dual Source*-*Mitsubishi 3000GT*/*Dodge Stealth Parts or make your own. then hook up a air pump to it and try to pressurize the intake system to 15ish psi. listen for leaks and where ever it leaks from is your problem. I’m going to guess that its your Y pipes gasket since your running a stock Y pipe. you should really look into upgrading it, or at least do the 'tennis ball mod'.
    the basic go fast bits...
    forged short block, Billet DR1000's, 680cc injectors, meth inj, FMIC, MAFT, Apexi Neo, hotwired 255lph fuel pump.

Tuned by Ray Pampena

Just a fun Daily Driver.

i bothered to open it up yesterday, not a stock y pipe, ima check today on the ring clamps to make sure everything is tightened up...