Thread: Advancing ignition timing - what it means for your cylinder

Why? Because Race Car. verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by i3igpete View Post
    junior year will be even worse
    Fantastic!
    91 R/T TT
    Mods: RC 550s, Stillen Downpipe, Stillen Cross-Drilled Rotors, HKS Exhaust, HKS VPC, HKS EBC, HKS Turbo Timber, HKS Twin Power, HKS SSQV BOV, HKS SMIC, HKS Fuel Pump, Wiseco Pistons, 3SX Rods, Ferrera SS Valves, 3rd Gen Lifters, 15G Turbos, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, B&M FMOC, Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley, EGR blockoff.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I'm a Mech E too.. I am a junior also. Statics isnt that hard. Thermo is pretty tough for me. Dynamics, solids, and fluids will not be fun either. but thats next semester

Forum User verified
    Owner Since
    ~2006

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Fast View Post
    It is true ignition timing is dependent on fuel type due to different ignition points and kernel speeds. However, when utilizing any fuel you may revert to the spark plug hook test. The ignition signature on the spark plug grounding electrode will allow you to determine the optimum ignition time, regardless of fuel. As illustrated here in my EFI University Notes:

Jeremy
    Very interested.. Could you elaborate on how to read the plug?

Would you say this is a better test than comparing "dyno sheets" from that virtual dyno room program?

11 sec FWD! (old name: 94atxvr2)
    Owner Since
    2004 ****Click my home page for videos*****

Thanks
    On my dsm, the only way for me to make more power is to advance the timing (im on e85 at 22* peak) lol. My turbo is so maxed out (small 16g over 25psi) I can't run any more boost and im on 7.8:1 compression still. But good thread pete. I do know downsides of this. When I ran maft v1 on an old dsm, it had to be corrected so much for my 650cc injectors that it added a TON of timing. I was running 30* timing advance and over 20 psi on 93. I had no clue that it was advancing it that much and it blew the rings quick. Looking at the log was too late and not soon enough. That is when I said no more piggybacks, dsmlink all the way so I can control timing advance too. I am scared to trick the ecu airflow because it advances alot of timing. Heck my dsm went to 30* peak, that's 0 psi timing advance numbers.
    Last edited by 11secondFWD; 09-21-2010 at 10:09 PM.

92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Auto = 10.61@127.8 (1.4 60ft)
    94 3000gt SL 8:1TT 5spd getrag = 11.87@123 (1.8 60ft)
    91 3000gt VR4 13gs = 11.61@115 (1.59 60ft)

Advanced Tech? verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    yup, advancing ignition isn't always a bad thing. when you need to get every drop of energy out, it's a great thing for fuel economy. it's a balance like anything else.
    Maddog Performance Engineering