Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: GI: Big brake kits, floating rotors!

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

GI: Big brake kits, floating rotors!

OK, trying to get a couple more people in this to lower the cost for everyone. This will only be open to the "public" for a very short time, as I'm ordering brakes like right meow.

Group Buy for 6 piston forged caliper front brake kit, XYZ branded. Complete with 355x32mm full floating rotors, float-in-hat style. Standard colors are black anodized, red or yellow powdercoat. Comes with SS brake lines, and rear 4 piston kit is available. You'll notice I didn't specify a car, that's because if you want to buy a kit for say, a Corvette, go ahead and jump on, though I won't provide technical support or information for that stuff. Pricing may vary.

Pictures as fitted onto Z06 race car during testing, Corvette specific kit:

Black caliper pic:

Floating rotor hardware:

Now, down to technical business before I get to pricing:

XYZ kit piston area: 2415 for 355mm rotor

Stock piston area: 2721 for 314mm rotor

Stoptech piston area: 2274 for 355mm rotor

AP Racing "formula" kit piston area: 2511 for 343mm and 355mm rotor

K-sport 8 piston kit piston area: 3059 for 356mm rotor

I'll save you the calculation for brake torque split, (difference from stock, + is more front torque than stock) corrected for rotor size, and just post them:

Stock: 100%

XYZ 355 on 2G: +1.81%

Stoptech 355 on 2G: -3.37%

Stoptech 355 on 1G: -0.41%

AP racing 343 on 2G: +0.73%

K-sport 356 on 2G: +25.48% (ummmm)

So, what does this all mean? XYZ 355 kit will be slightly more front biased than stock, as I spec'ed to correct for typical track car's new weight distribution and increase in weight transfer on sticky tires. That and K-sports are wayyyyy out there in balance.

Sooooo, if you're still reading, I got your attention still, but before we get to pricing there's more technoblabble to get though for those who care.

Why floating rotors?

[straight from AP Racing]

Radial float allows differential expansion of disc and bell thus reducing stresses in the disc and minimising disc cracking and distortion.

The idea of axial float is to compensate for a certain amount of stub axle / upright flex by allowing the disc to take up its ideal position within the range of float thus avoiding "knockback" of the caliper pistons. Knockback requires you to pump the brakes before entering a corner to achieve maximum braking effort.

OK, still with me? Now what you were all waiting for: Pricing. Normal pricing is a tad over $2K for this specific kit.
    3 kits: $1650 per 355mm kit shipped

5 kits: $1580 per 355mm kit shipped

Pricing drops per every kit.

Now, kit options.

Powdercoated red, yellow or anodized gold, black are our caliper standard colors. Painted gray, gold, blue or any other painted colors to match your vehicle are available as well; however, it requires additional cost.

Non-floating rotor option available for slighly less cost.

330mm Kits are available for those seeking to keep 17" wheels (at reduced cost), although braking torque split will be effected.

Kits will come with generic "street" pads, though I highly recommend getting a set of Carbotech pads in choice of compound because I heart Carbotech pads. Street pad info: Coefficient of friction: .46 - .53. Temp range - 194 - 1,022. Pad shape for Carbotech pads is CTP7790. Everybody makes their compounds in this shape.

Standard motorsports disclaimer goes here.
    Last edited by anyonebutme; 08-02-2012 at 06:10 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to anyonebutme For This Useful Post:

Man vs 3/S verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    1. R/T93 330's, floating, anodized Black, stock pads.
    93 R/T - Modded, Full Suspension, Full Exhaust, Quaife Diff, Turbo brakes, Alpine/Boston Sound One of 25
    98 VR-4 - Billet 13t's, Downpipe, Blitz EBC, Ohlins R/T coil overs, SCE center differential, SCE oil pan, Pampena braced trans, TEC Rear Strut Bar, Custom Front Strut Bar, Camber Arms, Alum Driveshaft, 2" Koyo, Maximal oil cooler, SAFC2, Defi Gauges, RC 550's, Supra Pump, Skillard Splitter, Hardpipes, XYZ 14" front brakes/Carbotech, 255 Dunlop Z2's, AMR 18x9's, Alpine/Infinity/JL Sound. One of 13

3SNG15 Best overall

"I explode 1 piece rotors" -- ABM --
    Runs 12's (12.98's!!!!!!)
    My Garage

Advanced Tech? verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    is there any remote chance that the 355 will fit on 17" rims? I heard that the rotora 355's will fit on 17's with lots of spoke clearance...

I really want to upgrade but i don't want to buy 18" rims... and 330 is a wussy upgrade.
    Maddog Performance Engineering

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by i3igpete View Post
    is there any remote chance that the 355 will fit on 17" rims? I heard that the rotora 355's will fit on 17's with lots of spoke clearance...

I really want to upgrade but i don't want to buy 18" rims... and 330 is a wussy upgrade.
    Depends on the barrel of your wheels. I might have a fitment gauge available, I'll check.

Monogamous Gigolo verified
    Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by anyonebutme View Post
    Depends on the barrel of your wheels. I might have a fitment gauge available, I'll check.
    Waitng for the outcome of this.

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    While I wait for the templates, measure your rim barrel at the hub and see if it's greater than 15.6 inches in diameter/7.8 inches in radius from center. If it's under this, I'm 90% sure you're wheels will not work with the 355 kit or will be uncomfortably close.

Owner Since
    - O - SIX -

Thanks
    Piston surface area? Any problems with heat on the floater bolts and them breaking like the AP Racing ones do? Brake pad options? I' may be interested if this is legit.

Monogamous Gigolo verified
    Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Fast View Post
    Piston surface area? Any problems with heat on the floater bolts and them breaking like the AP Racing ones do? Brake pad options? I' may be interested if this is legit.
    Read

It would seam that the Corvette crew is happy with them.

Page 4 post #75, user of the kit is happy with them so far.

Hope that helps.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Why do these things always come along when I don't have the money. I may be interested if I can wrangle up some extra cash but I too will be waiting for that template to see if they'll fit my current 17's.

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Fast View Post
    Piston areas are on first post. No problems yet on the bobbins, but kit should fit AP hardware if you wanna buy the bolts Erron has, only difference is this is float-in-hat and Erron's is float-in-rotor so these rotors costs less. Pad shape it in first post, same pad as Erron's AP kit. Read European racing forums, XYZ is popular over there, especially for the guys destroying AP formula rotors.