Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Power

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

Power

Alright alright, we all want lots of power from our N/A's without spending alot of money or going turbo. Well how about those of us who want a decent amount of power without spending too much money or going turbo? Lets find a way to get an organized thread with tips, parts, etc.

Eric from 3sx has alot of good info on his page
    http://www.3sx.com/store/cars-3sx/cars-eric.asp

On a side note, Im liking that 40 hp gain, but i wonder how much of that was the super high compression and the e85 tune...
    I dont mind higher compression, but I really dont have access to e85 around here, which is important as its my DD.

Anyone have any info on NA tuning? Maybe GT wizard will sign up here share some info

Another question: anyone have any ideas for a better intake? I heard good things about a famous NA with a custom cold air intake, I wonder what it entailed.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to x2percentmilk For This Useful Post:

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by x2percentmilk View Post
    Alright alright, we all want lots of power from our N/A's without spending alot of money or going turbo. Well how about those of us who want a decent amount of power without spending too much money or going turbo? Lets find a way to get an organized thread with tips, parts, etc.

Eric from 3sx has alot of good info on his page
    http://www.3sx.com/store/cars-3sx/cars-eric.asp

On a side note, Im liking that 40 hp gain, but i wonder how much of that was the super high compression and the e85 tune...
    I dont mind higher compression, but I really dont have access to e85 around here, which is important as its my DD.

Anyone have any info on NA tuning? Maybe GT wizard will sign up here share some info

Another question: anyone have any ideas for a better intake? I heard good things about a famous NA with a custom cold air intake, I wonder what it entailed.
    GT Wizard knows alot about these cars and yeah, Would be fantastic if he joined here aswell.

I have done a bit of research into the intake question and based on alot of 3si's members opinions the standard intake is not that restrictive at all.

In regards to gain, I'm making pretty much 200HP at the front wheels with a 3.5L conversion, Dyno tune upper range, Street tune lower range with a WOT AFR of 13.0:1 and that's still running standard manifolds! has a downpipe and exhaust but extractors will be going on before end of year.

Also the 200HP was made with adjustable cam gears set to 0, set to -3 + 1 helps A SHITLOAD better.

A bigger TB and better heads would yeild even more. I think it's all got to do with bang for buck. No use spending $15K on engine work for an NA really

My aim in the end is 220HP with minimal work done. Might look at throwing a set of 1st gen camshafts in for a fraction more lift at no cost at all...
    But yeah....first start with the 3.5L (JDM version ONLY for the good 10:1's) and then you have the best base possible!

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    3.5L would be the best way to go with an NA. Reason being its going to be pretty simple to maintain, Fwd TT would be to much work for the results besides the fact that you will hate driving it asking yourself what will break next

I am hoping to be starting on my full rebuild of my SL this winter and it be at least semi close to done....or at least drivable by NG(paint or no paint lol) But my first step will be getting a 3.5....

Another good person to speak with about this would be xwire, not really sure if he is on this site but you can deff find him on US3S.ORG or 3si.org which ever... He has alot of knowledge on these conversions.

Boomer

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Milk I have a 3.5L to bring to that machine shop of yours . Coolest thing I've seen was 1320VR4's PMP cams in his NA stealth. sounded sick and apparently added a good bit of power.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstarr427 View Post
    Milk I have a 3.5L to bring to that machine shop of yours . Coolest thing I've seen was 1320VR4's PMP cams in his NA stealth. sounded sick and apparently added a good bit of power.
    Hmmm where can i find those cams?

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    PMP Motorsports

http://pmpmotorsports.com/

do adjustable cam gears do as much for NA's as they do TT's?

Adjustable cam gears

Quote Originally Posted by Jstarr427 View Post
    PMP Motorsports

http://pmpmotorsports.com/

do adjustable cam gears do as much for NA's as they do TT's?
    Adjustable cam gears give no power at all. You miss understand. If you timing is slightly off than you have less power. All these adjustable cam gears do is let you correct any timing issues you may have. Therefore bringing your horse power back were it should be. If you have no timing issues (NA or Turbo) than adjustable cam gears do nothing for you. Now if in fact you decide to make adjustments to your timing for the purpose of some possable power gains, and you have some of the supporting hardware to support said power gains, than yes, you can squeeze a little more out of what ever set up you have. Just remember, clocking those adjustable cams to 3 retard exhaust and 1 advanced intake will do nothing for you if you have not used a degree wheel first to find 0 anyways. This is a must. or the adjustable gears may just be a waist if time. The reason I run adjusable cam gears is so I can adjust my exhaust cams to take advantage of my long tube headers and tune the cams to the headers. Once this is done you can tune your intake cams to make most of what ever type of intake and runner set up you have. This needs to be done on a dyno. I have not done so yet and I do have my intakes at 1adv and exhaust at 3 rtd. So far I am at 229.7 HP with my 3.0 (.020 over) and other mods. Was it the cam gears, cams, intake or headers that got me here? Let me answer that for you. It is all of it as a package working together as a unit.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GTwizard View Post
    Adjustable cam gears give no power at all. You miss understand. If you timing is slightly off than you have less power. All these adjustable cam gears do is let you correct any timing issues you may have. Therefore bringing your horse power back were it should be. If you have no timing issues (NA or Turbo) than adjustable cam gears do nothing for you. Now if in fact you decide to make adjustments to your timing for the purpose of some possable power gains, and you have some of the supporting hardware to support said power gains, than yes, you can squeeze a little more out of what ever set up you have. Just remember, clocking those adjustable cams to 3 retard exhaust and 1 advanced intake will do nothing for you if you have not used a degree wheel first to find 0 anyways. This is a must. or the adjustable gears may just be a waist if time. The reason I run adjusable cam gears is so I can adjust my exhaust cams to take advantage of my long tube headers and tune the cams to the headers. Once this is done you can tune your intake cams to make most of what ever type of intake and runner set up you have. This needs to be done on a dyno. I have not done so yet and I do have my intakes at 1adv and exhaust at 3 rtd. So far I am at 229.7 HP with my 3.0 (.020 over) and other mods. Was it the cam gears, cams, intake or headers that got me here? Let me answer that for you. It is all of it as a package working together as a unit.
    I got lightweight cam gears for the SOHC, but I have yet to install them. I would think that they should help the car rev a bit quicker and maybe help low end? Any change in rotational mass should help put some power to the wheels at least in theory. Any thoughts?

owner since 2004
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SOHC View Post
    I got lightweight cam gears for the SOHC, but I have yet to install them. I would think that they should help the car rev a bit quicker and maybe help low end? Any change in rotational mass should help put some power to the wheels at least in theory. Any thoughts?
    it will not make much difference at all, lightened flywheel wil let the engine rev freely and quickly same as a lighter underdrive pully, cam gears just turn its the actual flywheel that takes most of the centrifugal force. a heavy flywheel willhelp in higher rpm's but doesn't help in engine braking, it gets spinning and takes some of the weight and stress from the motor. cam gears will make no difference to how a motor spins up.

to add from my previous post...
    these are made for a ford v6 i'm sure it wouldn't be hard to fabricate a manifolt to accept these with a cover over the top.
    Last edited by colt45 gto; 09-27-2010 at 06:51 PM.
    3si is dead long live 3sgto.org

11. The Following User Says Thank You to colt45 gto For This Useful Post:

ITBs

I was looking into ITBs and at this time have set the idea aside. There was a ton of race teams that went from single plenum to ITB's and found a little more power and a lot more throttle responce. But these are guys that run in and above 9000 RPM range. As I began looking into the ITBs I found that most of those guys that went ITB are back to single plenum/single throttle body. Honda, Acura, and Toyota just to name a few. Go figure. It has to do with drivability. ITB are not good for drags and not good for street. They are best for all out road race conditions. The cost is way too high and that does not include what you would need to do to your motor to take adventage of the ITBs ability to deliver. These also require full stand alone engine management with speed density tuning. This is all high, high, high dollars race only application performance upgrades. In the end, even if I won the big lotto, ITB would never end up in My 3000GT. Although I might consider them on the NSX I would be running. LOL. There is still a ton of work to be done with the NA before running to ITB, and a bunch more fun to be had.