Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Power

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks

Power

Alright alright, we all want lots of power from our N/A's without spending alot of money or going turbo. Well how about those of us who want a decent amount of power without spending too much money or going turbo? Lets find a way to get an organized thread with tips, parts, etc.

Eric from 3sx has alot of good info on his page
    http://www.3sx.com/store/cars-3sx/cars-eric.asp

On a side note, Im liking that 40 hp gain, but i wonder how much of that was the super high compression and the e85 tune...
    I dont mind higher compression, but I really dont have access to e85 around here, which is important as its my DD.

Anyone have any info on NA tuning? Maybe GT wizard will sign up here share some info

Another question: anyone have any ideas for a better intake? I heard good things about a famous NA with a custom cold air intake, I wonder what it entailed.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to x2percentmilk For This Useful Post:

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) TUFFTR's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by x2percentmilk View Post
    Alright alright, we all want lots of power from our N/A's without spending alot of money or going turbo. Well how about those of us who want a decent amount of power without spending too much money or going turbo? Lets find a way to get an organized thread with tips, parts, etc.

Eric from 3sx has alot of good info on his page
    http://www.3sx.com/store/cars-3sx/cars-eric.asp

On a side note, Im liking that 40 hp gain, but i wonder how much of that was the super high compression and the e85 tune...
    I dont mind higher compression, but I really dont have access to e85 around here, which is important as its my DD.

Anyone have any info on NA tuning? Maybe GT wizard will sign up here share some info

Another question: anyone have any ideas for a better intake? I heard good things about a famous NA with a custom cold air intake, I wonder what it entailed.
    GT Wizard knows alot about these cars and yeah, Would be fantastic if he joined here aswell.

I have done a bit of research into the intake question and based on alot of 3si's members opinions the standard intake is not that restrictive at all.

In regards to gain, I'm making pretty much 200HP at the front wheels with a 3.5L conversion, Dyno tune upper range, Street tune lower range with a WOT AFR of 13.0:1 and that's still running standard manifolds! has a downpipe and exhaust but extractors will be going on before end of year.

Also the 200HP was made with adjustable cam gears set to 0, set to -3 + 1 helps A SHITLOAD better.

A bigger TB and better heads would yeild even more. I think it's all got to do with bang for buck. No use spending $15K on engine work for an NA really

My aim in the end is 220HP with minimal work done. Might look at throwing a set of 1st gen camshafts in for a fraction more lift at no cost at all...
    But yeah....first start with the 3.5L (JDM version ONLY for the good 10:1's) and then you have the best base possible!

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) Boomer3000's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    3.5L would be the best way to go with an NA. Reason being its going to be pretty simple to maintain, Fwd TT would be to much work for the results besides the fact that you will hate driving it asking yourself what will break next

I am hoping to be starting on my full rebuild of my SL this winter and it be at least semi close to done....or at least drivable by NG(paint or no paint lol) But my first step will be getting a 3.5....

Another good person to speak with about this would be xwire, not really sure if he is on this site but you can deff find him on US3S.ORG or 3si.org which ever... He has alot of knowledge on these conversions.

Boomer

Forum User Feedback Score 0 Jstarr427's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Milk I have a 3.5L to bring to that machine shop of yours . Coolest thing I've seen was 1320VR4's PMP cams in his NA stealth. sounded sick and apparently added a good bit of power.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstarr427 View Post
    Milk I have a 3.5L to bring to that machine shop of yours . Coolest thing I've seen was 1320VR4's PMP cams in his NA stealth. sounded sick and apparently added a good bit of power.
    Hmmm where can i find those cams?

Owner Since

Thanks
    PMP Motorsports

http://pmpmotorsports.com/

do adjustable cam gears do as much for NA's as they do TT's?

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Yeah I've heard those pmp cams are sweet. not a bad price either, i was looking at the reverse staggered grind.
    I've never really considered a 3.5L swap...doesnt sound like a bad idea tho. Are the heads the same? do valves/cams/gears interchange?

How much do you want for that one jstar :P

TUFFTR your HP goals seem to be around what I was looking for in the future, that seems pretty realistic.

Owner Since

Thanks
    The Engine actually came out of a 3000gt so it is THE engine you need. It has spun a bearing and I pulled it out of a '94 3000gt, so it needs to be rebuilt, but the engine wasnt really driven on the spun bearing. I'm sure a good machine shop could do wonders with it.

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) TUFFTR's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    The Engine actually came out of a 3000gt so it is THE engine you need. It has spun a bearing and I pulled it out of a '94 3000gt, so it needs to be rebuilt, but the engine wasnt really driven on the spun bearing. I'm sure a good machine shop could do wonders with it.
    If that was in relation to a 3.5L you 100% need the JDM "Mitsubishi Debonair" Engine. No 3000GT had one.
    PMP Motorsports

http://pmpmotorsports.com/

do adjustable cam gears do as much for NA's as they do TT's?
    They do! My 3.5L would feel great but top out around 6300RPM and just sound like it's going to explode. Wasn't very pleasing. Decided to turn my cam gears to the -3 +1 "standard" as I've seen so often and HELL YEAH. The car would just power through 6300RPM now all the way up to 7000RPM. Even when it got to 7000RPM it wouldn't sound as choked as it did before i tuned the cam gears. I've only ever had my car dyno'd with the gears set at 0. I honestly know know it would make a bit more power with them adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by x2percentmilk View Post
    Yeah I've heard those pmp cams are sweet. not a bad price either, i was looking at the reverse staggered grind.
    I've never really considered a 3.5L swap...doesnt sound like a bad idea tho. Are the heads the same? do valves/cams/gears interchange?

How much do you want for that one jstar :P

TUFFTR your HP goals seem to be around what I was looking for in the future, that seems pretty realistic.
    Yep the heads are identical to the 93+ NA heads. All JDM Debonair motors have the separate cam/crank sensor.
    The cam gears however are DIFFERENT as you'll see on john monnins page.

The 3.5L has the tooth set half a tooth different. This means when you put cam gears on, since they are made for the 3L The marks are actually out. When I installed mine I had to set them all to +4 (Think it was + will have to confirm) for them to actually be to "Zero" on the 3.5L if you catch my drift. That +4 setting is where you then make your adjustments. so -3, + 1 on that would see +1 and +5 (starting from +4)

HP Goals are attainable no worries. 4sp LS1's atm only see my rear end :P

Owner Since

Thanks
    so where would you say your sitting as far as Hp goes then?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast