Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Overheating with TD05 turbochargers

Forum User verified Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks

Overheating with TD05 turbochargers

I'm trying to diagnose this one. Can't say I had much issue in Virginia or Washington state, but this Florida heat is not playing very well with the car. No doubt the turbo manifolds and turbos themselves are putting out a lot of heat. I have in place a Koyo 2in radiator with 14" Mishimoto Fans w/shroud. Car does have an FMIC. Thermostat is a 160*, that I use from an Acura NSX. Waterpump is good. Radiator cap is a 1.5 bar and functioning. I have a Deft 575 hood to help a little with the under hood heat too. Also have a large 19 row oil cooler to further try to help engine cool down.

Per EvoScan I can let the car idle and temps will climb up to 215 without AC. It takes a while. With AC on at idle temps will climb to 233*. Drive car without AC and temps will hover in the 220* area. Drive car with AC on and temps will climb up to 248*.

I will post some pictures later to see if anyone has any suggestions. It may be a simple issue of having the headers and O2 housings ceramic coated again or using some strategically placed heat shielding. Try to get this solved easily without throwing money at trial and error fixes.

Used an SS radiator upper pipe, because the manifolds will melt the stock rubber hose. I have maybe 3/8" clearance between that pipe and the manifolds. Maybe could try some exhaust wrap around the radiator pipe, or some other thermal wrap?

Picture of the headers to show condition of coating. Maybe its time for a new coat, could solve the heating issue.

The driver side radiator fan has a 1/8" clearance between the screw on the fan and the O2 housing there. Short of cutting into the front of the car and major work or going to a stock radiator, I don't see anyway to get any clearance. Maybe a coating or wrap of the mishimoto shroud could help the radiator from soaking up the front turbos heat.

Another shot of upper radiator pipe and manifold clearance.

Another angle of the front turbo clearance and radiator.

Let me know if any additional pictures will help or just pics from a different angle.
    Last edited by Patryn; 08-28-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Forum User Feedback Score 0 JasonY's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    When do you have the fans coming online? When its really hot, its a good idea to have the fans running full time.

Jason

Silverstone Metallic 94 R2 FD and a Silver 2015 F250 Lariat Ultimate CCSB 6.7PSD
    Sold: Black 99 VR4 and two Pearl White 93 VR4's. Just say NO to FMIC's

Owner Since

Thanks
    I have the fans set-up on the stock relay. I don't have them hardwired, but when you flip the AC on it turns them on, but still overheats at idle. Tried it that way as well. I had a set of flex-a-lites I was going to try to install in front of the AC condensor and run those on a switch, but being the car is a 1998, the coolant reservoir gets in the way of mounting them. Might can try something smaller if it is something that is needed for high temp situations for those of us in the Southern states.

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Sounds like maybe the fans aren't pulling enough cfm if the Tstat and everything else is functioning properly. Maybe you can heat wrap the headers.

Twin Turbo verified Feedback Score 5 (100%) GTOJOE's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    FMIC blocking air flow?
    1990 JDM GTO TT with Vi-PEC plug-in V44 EMS, TD04-13T's, 3SX Downpipe, MP Hi-flow cat, ARC SMIC's, Aeromotive Stealth 340LPH pump, Fuelab 515 FPR, Ninja Performance 75amp hotwire kit, oohnoo fuel loop & rail adapters, Nylon braided ethanol fuel line, NGK AFX Wideband, K&N FIPK, Iridium plugs, HKS Twin Power DLI, Turbo XS racing BOV, 3SX poly mounts, Custom 280km/h speedo.

Waiting install
    Injector Dynamics 725cc Injectors.

Build Thread

One day....it will be on 4 wheels. supporter Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    damn, you got the worst of everything there

don't waste time On thermal coating, looks like it's not lasting, my suggestion is to go down to wherever you can and get some decent shielding...starting putting that stuff EVERYWHERE!

can I suggest you look at keeping the hot and cold pipes as separate as possible as well!.
    Building a House, Car Mods on hold!
    1996 GTO, Owner since 2003.

Banned Feedback Score 11 (100%) J. Fast's Avatar
    Owner Since
    - O - SIX -

Thanks
    Is atleast 1 fan coming on when it idles? You can wire an inline therm switch that will turn atleast one fan on at a predetermined water temp. The hood will do you no good, you need one with vents, and that's not a cowl style.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Very likely fans aren't pulling enough. I'm going to step the radiator down to a stock copper core radiator with two AC fans and see how that works. Just need to find a second AC fan now.

Twin Turbo verified Feedback Score 5 (100%) GTOJOE's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    just thought of something... you have aftermarket fans right? are they wired up right? maybe they are pushing instead of pulling???

Owner Since

Thanks
    Fans are pulling, but maybe not enough CFM. I did install the Koyo in October while in Washington, and just started noticing car overheating this summer in Florida, so maybe the Koyo is a bad fit too with how close it sits to the manifolds.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast