Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone manage to snag an HP Touchpad on sale?

LW fears my posts Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since
    1996, 1st Stealth TT; 2000, current TT

Thanks

Anyone manage to snag an HP Touchpad on sale?

I thought buying a tablet at anything over $200 was retarded. However, I could really use one for some of my presentations. For those who don't know, HP has decided to get out of the Tablet market, and has slashed the prices on their $500 tablets to $99 for the 16GB version, and $149 for the 32GB.

This was a couple days ago, and I was a bit late to the party. There still may be some left in your local Best Buys if you want one, but you'll have to move fast.

Forum User Feedback Score 0 Telionis's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I missed the HP academic site sale, stayed up until 3am that night waiting for office depot's site to go live, fell asleep, they were sold out when I awoke, hit five physical stores the next morning, all were sold out, but I finally got one from HP Small Business. It took two hours to get past the server load! What a great deal.

I can't believe slickdeals.net survived the load, and was still perfectly responsive. It was the first time I've ever been on an forum reading a thread that grew faster than I could read. Before I finished skimming a page there would be three new pages of posts! They got five thousand posts in an hour or two. I think they actually hit the forum software limit on length of a thread!

I support the "Gay Jihad" against Rick Santorum!

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Mikes2nd's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    you better hope someone hacks it if you do...

Forum User Feedback Score 0 Telionis's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikes2nd View Post
    you better hope someone hacks it if you do...
    Why? There is a very good chance that Android will be ported; there is already a project over at XDA, and there is a huge demand now that the market has been saturated by so many of the things. Nevertheless, I've heard many good things about WebOS. I am not at all concerned by the prospect of no Android port.

Furthermore, the CPU was designed with considerable overhead, and from what I've understood, the next generation AT&T marketed Webtop would have run the same hardware with only a software mod boost to 1.5 GHz + 3G/4G radio (the preware guys already figured out and released the overclock software online). With a O/C to 1.5 GHz and a few speed tweaks the thing is said to be very fast and smooth. It has by far the best speakers of any tablet on the market, and even before tweaks or overclocking, is said to play 720p videos flawlessly.

I'd guess it is at least a match for, if not superior to, the maxiPad 2 when comparing physical specs. Furthermore, I consider the lack of iOS a benefit - having to deal with Apple's fascist DRM bullshit and having to infect my computer with Apple software invalidates any benefits it may have. I'd rather install the late-90s Real Player than modern iTunes.

I wouldn't have bought any tablet for $200, but for $100 you can't go wrong. Especially considering the hardware alone cost HP about $300 even after their bulk discounts. You literally couldn't build one cheaper even if you bought raw components from Taiwan, assembled it and wrote an OS for it yourself.

LW fears my posts Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since
    1996, 1st Stealth TT; 2000, current TT

Thanks
    Well, didn't manage to get one, unfortunately. However, prices seem to be dropping pretty quickly on ebay and craigslist. Yesterday, people were charging over 100-150% markup, now it's gone down to about 80% markup. If I can get one for $150 I'll pull the trigger.

Relax, it's just rocket science! Feedback Score 13 (100%) BigTyla's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Nov 2001

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I've been trying to get one but at this point I'll only get one if it happens to fall in my lap. It's just too much trouble for a $100 tablet.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I snagged two of the 32gb, one for me and the wife. I have zero problems with webos, but there is hardly any good apps for it still. I'd sell mine for 250 if someone really wanted it. but anything less and I might as well just keep it.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I saw the price cut news the moment it hit, tried to get one online and couldnt, forgot about it for a day or two, and now can't find any around town haha.

I have a windows7 tablet that I already love and has more functionality than any ipad, android, or webos tablet has, but for 99 bucks why not? The hardware is a steal for that price.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Monster Stealth's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    UPS just dropped mine off this afternoon. I have only had a few minutes to play with it today, but for $150 there will be zero complaints from me, and with an Android port looking more and more likely I will be one happy customer.
    9B+93-13.2@108
    16G+E85...?

the cake is a lie

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) Boomer3000's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Best buy still has them for $99 on their website.. EDIT: nevermind lol.. they aren't even allowing back order anymore
    1991 Stealth RT/TT
    Mods- Greddy Type S and a spun bearing.

[Yesterday 11:43 PM] R/T93 : Im reading hulk comics on Youtube
    [Yesterday 11:45 PM] R/T93 : he has to fight the silver surfer hand to hand...
    OhioSpyderman:why do you have to pee on my wheaties Dave?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast