Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I do it?

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks

Should I do it?

I have a '72 Corvette LT-1 4spd car. It is currently an old project of mine that I have no idea when I will ever get to. I started a body-off restoration on it, so it is in many pieces. I have all parts except the 4spd trans. I have a LT-1 motor (not original, 466 vins off of my car) that is built pretty nicely. I have around 5k in the motor alone.

I am thinking of trading it for a 92 R/T TT. The Stealth has 104k w/o the 120k being done. It has either a cracked head or a blown head gasket. Mods include: IPS MHI 16g's, FMIC, AEM EMS, CF D/S, billet transfer case brackets, 550cc inj, Borla exhaust and a few other little things.

My dilemma is...my Vette will always be worth something and we all know a 3s will lose most value and probably will never really recover. The Stealth could be a quick fix and be up and running. The Vette will sit for another 10 years until my son reaches age.

So, what to do?

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    OOOOppph, if it were a 2g stealth I would say MAYBE, but it's not. Is it the billet tcase housing or simply the tcase brackets made by maximal or e2k (whatever the name was) manufacturing? If those goodies you listed are the bulk of it all without knowing precisely what is wrong with the motor I say keep the vette. Use the funds you'd spend getting the stealth running and get a 4speed trans for that beast! Is it a vert top? Sounds like you just need to have the enthusiasm for the car jolted back into you somehow.
    60% of the time, my car works every time.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MADMarc View Post
    OOOOppph, if it were a 2g stealth I would say MAYBE, but it's not. Is it the billet tcase housing or simply the tcase brackets made by maximal or e2k (whatever the name was) manufacturing? If those goodies you listed are the bulk of it all without knowing precisely what is wrong with the motor I say keep the vette. Use the funds you'd spend getting the stealth running and get a 4speed trans for that beast! Is it a vert top? Sounds like you just need to have the enthusiasm for the car jolted back into you somehow.
    It has the T-case housing. I may just list the Vette on CL and see what offers I can get. I don't need to sell it or trade it. It's a t-top btw. All LT-1's are t-top cars. I also have a '68 topless 'Vette w/327 4spd. I have owned a lot of 'Vetes in my day. I already have a 92 R/T TT that has most of the same type of mods so I guess I am nuts for taking on another one! lol

| @/|/| +|2()|/| verified
    Owner Since
    December 2009

Thanks
    If you didnt have another Vette, I would say dont do it...But it sounds like you want the Stealth and your just holding yourself back ....Remember, You only live once

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Time to get a mopar, then! A nice E or B body would treat you chebbie boys nicely :P

Pass Me Another Hooker
    Owner Since

Thanks
    thing about the vette is when its getting into a project like yours that needs so much work to get done along with not being the org engine for the car turns alot of people away. sadly.

and the 92 has alot of mods. in the end, are you into cars to make money or go fast and enjoy the car. thats your pick. if you wanna go fast and enjoy a nice car. then trade it up. saying you will get the car done.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I do have another 'Vette in which I will not part ways with. We are five days apart! I not only have a birth year 'Vette, but birth month as well...it's a 'Vette thing you might not understand! lol I also have anothe '92 R/T TT highly modified. It just needs to be finished up to start driving again. I enjoy all types of cars, mostly performance ones. A "B" body MOPAR would be nice.

Yeah true 'Vette collectors are very picky about the classic ones. If the numbers are off, they turn and walk away. My '68 is all original...well I have all the original stuff to put back let's just say! So, the '72 was to be a modified class from the start. I'm not too worried about it being an original car.

LW fears my posts Not Verified
    Owner Since
    1996, 1st Stealth TT; 2000, current TT

Thanks
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 68 is the first year of the C3, right? If that's the case, then I don't see the point in keeping the 72 (another C3) which doesn't run and where the numbers don't match.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UTRacerX9 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 68 is the first year of the C3, right? If that's the case, then I don't see the point in keeping the 72 (another C3) which doesn't run and where the numbers don't match.
    The '68 is the first year for the C3 and the '72 is the last year for chrome bumpers front and rear and removable rear window. Keep in mind it is a true LT-1 car. This may not seem like much to the uninformed, but it is a rarer find of the C3's. The motor I have is also a '72 LT-1. However, it's not originally for my 'Vette.

Advanced Tech? verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    hmmm... sounds like you can come out ahead if you trade for the stealth, keep the parts you need (tcase) and the rest of the mods sound like they will sell quickly. scrap the shell and use the cash on your other vette and stealth (since it's already so close to being done).

i'm all about instant gratification, obviously
    Last edited by i3igpete; 08-02-2011 at 05:14 PM.
    Maddog Performance Engineering